You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 3 weeks later...

New podcast with John Connolly about the Parker series and more. Quite enjoyable.

http://www.headstuff.org/2016/03/34-john-connolly/

A good two part interview as well, part one is about music and part two other authors and how The Sopranos is the best TV show of all time.

http://www.headstuff.org/2016/03/34-john-connolly/

http://www.headstuff.org/2015/05/in-conversation-john-connolly-on-the-charlie-parker-series-gender-based-violence-the-return-of-harper-lee-the-sopranos-and-more/

Some good military history (ancients/antiquity to medieval history) books please.

Thinking Atilla,Hannibal, Alexander, Tamerlane

The Alexander Trilogy by Mary Renault is the most enjoyable set of novels I’ve come across about the great man. The second novel, Persian Boy, has a truly terrifying description of castration that only a woman could possibly write.

A 12 y o boy has just seen his father murdered and mother & sister raped before being thrown off a tower. The lad is then strapped to a bench, shaved and castrated by a pair of hags who discuss the weather and price of corn before stitching the wound.

The boy is blubbing throughout as one hag says to the other: I don’t know why he’s crying; once it’s healed you’ll never notice the scar.

I was nearly puking.

A second top read is Count Belisarius by Robert Graves. The novel is based on the historical events of a principled Byzantine Count who served a feckless emperor and his terrifying wife.

It’s a terrific story with plenty of action and Game of Thrones standards of cruelty.

Four good reads that will keep you turning the pages long into the night.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've only read two but they are brilliant. Angel and Louis are great sidekicks

The series develops possibly more and certainly better than any other I've ever read. Put it this way, I'm about to finish book 14 and it's easily the best yet with the character taking even more twists and turns on the long journey the first two books placed him on.

Gutted I've been really busy since yesterday afternoon and haven't had a chance to finish it yet. Still got nearly half to go but it's superb so far.

Edit: Dark Hollow is book two, right? That's one of my favourites, really creepy throughout.

Yep Dark Hollow is number two. Caleb Kyle!

I've literally just put down A Time Of Torment (Charlie Parker 14 by John Connelly) and can say that it's my favourite so far: dark as fuck, still tense, loads of great minor characters and yet more new developments in the broader narrative arc of the series.

The narration is interesting as it jumps backwards and forwards in time, uses an omniscient narrator who even ventures into the supernatural and also retains a sometimes sardonic tone.

Best of all though, it's just a great fucking read that rattles along at a cracking pace. Brilliant stuff.

I've literally just put down A Time Of Torment (Charlie Parker 14 by John Connelly) and can say that it's my favourite so far: dark as fuck, still tense, loads of great minor characters and yet more new developments in the broader narrative arc of the series.

The narration is interesting as it jumps backwards and forwards in time, uses an omniscient narrator who even ventures into the supernatural and also retains a sometimes sardonic tone.

Best of all though, it's just a great fucking read that rattles along at a cracking pace. Brilliant stuff.

Stayed up late last night to finish this. Don't think it's my favourite of the series but it's damn close. Loads of little tidbits set up for future books such as ( no spoiler really ) what is going on with that professor of mythology? Superb.

Also nice of him to confirm he's a Liverpool fan in his acknowledgements at the back of the book. Makes me like him even more.

Yep to both of those. I also like the very subtle references to the Japanese hit men from the previous book too. Clearly when the grand showdown eventually comes, Charlie's crew will be more than him, Louis, Angel and the Fulcis.

I love how things have moved with The Collector too.

Finished John O'Farrell's latest one "Only Two David Beckhams" last week.

It's got the usual witty writing from him but it's a pretty mediocre plot and I wouldn't be telling anyone to rush out and buy it any time soon. Not in the same league as some of his earlier, genuinely laugh out loud, stuff.

• 1 month later...

Peter Hook, Unknown Pleasures.  The story of Joy Division, up to the tragic death of Ian Curtis (36 years last week).  Excellent read, lead me to download the film Control which I also really enjoyed.  It's got me listening to Joy Division which I hadn't really done before.  Good stuff all round.