You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've just finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline and it was absolutely awesome. It's brilliantly written, a genuine page turner and, if you have any nerd credentials whatsoever, completely addictive.

If you like the 80s, movies, telly, comics, games, SF, fantasy or music in any way, this book is for you. It's the best thing I've read all year. Get on it kids.

Isn't Spielberg attached to a film of that?

I fucking hope so because he's the only person who could fully do it justice, in my view. The acknowledgements in the back hint that a movie deal has been done - which makes sense as movies were Cline's thing before this.

Have you read it? I reckon you'd love it mate. In facts half the GF would - even (or especially, actually) Section, who isn't much of a reader of fiction. Jules bought a copy yesterday after I gave him the heads up.

I haven't - it's been one of those books I'll pick up and then put down - I'll get myself a copy.

I'm rereading Hound of the Baskervilles at the moment, with Dan's Mother Russia on the go on my phone as well (Plug: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mother-Russia-Daniel-Thomas-ebook/dp/B014MVLEE8).

Prior to that I've read a few Neil Gaiman books and was reading Nicholas Witchell's book on the Loch Ness Monster before heading up to Scotland this Summer.

• Upvote 1

New Charlie Parker been released which makes me very happy as I had no idea one was due, just came up on Amazon recommendations as I was browsing. That's my next few long haul flights sorted - followed by AP's book

Which one? I read a new one a few months ago. Is it that or has there been another?

I've just had a look and Song of Shadows (Book 13) was the last I read. Is it that?

Out of interest on average how long does it take you guys to read a book?

Takes me between 2-4 weeks but I only read a chapter or so before bed.

Depends on how much I like it and how busy I am. I rattle through books I really like in about 3/4 days (half that or less when I'm off work). If I'm not feeling it, it can drag on for a couple of weeks. Usually though it's about ten days. I read Ready Player One over this weekend which is pretty good considering I also did about ten hours work and usual household stuff too. Started it Friday night and finished it at lunchtime today.

Also, highly recommend this to anyone interested in History books, especially with a focus on WW1/WW2. Section would love it.

The arms of Krupp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0316529400?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=0&n=266239&ref_=dp_proddesc_0&s=books&showDetailProductDesc=1#product-description_feature_div

The Arms of Krupp (1968) is William Manchester's history of the Krupp dynasty, which owned and ran a dominant armaments manufacturing company in Germany. The company was based in Essen. The book presents very readable descriptions of the behavior of the Krupp family and its firm from the Thirty Years' War to theKaisers, the Weimar Republic, the Nazis, the American occupation, and finally the Bonn government. The book describes how under each regime (except possibly Weimar) the family and firm received favorable treatment, culminating in a special law Lex Krupp. Bizarre facets of families members are presented in detail. The innovative social welfare programs for factory workers are starkly contrasted with the treatment of forced laborers (ostarbeiters, etc.) Manchester's book tells presumably all-from the first Krupp (circa 1500) "a shrewd chandler with a keen eye for the main chance," through the family's incarnation by the sixth generation as "Essen's uncrowned kings," to the powerful weapons empire that armed Germany for three major wars, and finally the dissolution of die Firma. Manchester slants his story; in this case, the Krupps are all malevolent. The "killing power" of the kruppsche wares (cannon, howitzers, batteries, finally, nuclear power) was unrivaled as early as 1880, and in Manchester's view their product suited the family's temperament.

Like others, any book I like gets boxed off in less than a week. Others can take a few weeks. Bosch gets finished in a few days.

Currently reading Gerry Blayney's 'In The Blood' which will be finished in the next couple of days (started it over the weekend) which is good considering I've had loads on recently.

Finished "The Knowledge" last week (basically a guide to the things a society would need to recover after something like a pandemic) and although it was hard work in parts it's an interesting reconnection with some of the basics we should all really know.

Makes you realise how much you take for granted that someone else can do for you, like the basics of where your food comes from.

I've just finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline and it was absolutely awesome. It's brilliantly written, a genuine page turner and, if you have any nerd credentials whatsoever, completely addictive.

If you like the 80s, movies, telly, comics, games, SF, fantasy or music in any way, this book is for you. It's the best thing I've read all year. Get on it kids.

I'm going to get on this Paul, sounds decent.

Finished working my way through the three Rincewind books which I started way back when Pratchett passed away. Great ride down memory lane. Took me a while though as I've been reading into the levellers (the political movement, not the band) and the civil war at the same time.

Then I read the autobiography of John Thompson, a fugitive slave. Which was a humbling and moving read. 

Now I've picked up High Rise by Ballard again. Want to re-read it before Ben Wheatley's film version is out. Its a fantastic book about how people impose social hierarchies on themselves and those around them. That it came from the mid 70s is pretty amazing, totally gets the post-Thatcher mind set in the pernicious underlying aggression in society.

Really struggling through The Martian at the moment. It's been demoted twice - from a bed book, to a "when it's sunny" deckchair book, and now it suffers the ignominy of being the toilet read, picked up for a page or two at a time.

I'll get to the end, purely so I can have the "was the film better?" discussion with all the people who recommended it to me.

Looking back at the first post of this thread, I think I may read Altered Carbon next, it's been sat on my shelf for a while.

I really liked The Martian. Altered Carbon is fucking brilliant.

I finished it this afternoon.

I think it just wasn't for me; too many things fell into my list of bugbears. I don't care for zany characters all making wisecracks, and maths was probably my least favourite subject, so the scientific explanations were always going to feel excessive to me. I also thought it telegraphed its ending - because of the change of mission plan I never felt there was much peril going into the final act, because failure would've have huge ramifications for so many characters who'd clearly been set up to be right.

I'll get onto Altered Carbon now though. 

Been meaning to put some recommendations are up here for a while. If I get time will add some others latter in the week. First off is the Merrily Watkins Series by Phil Rickman.

On the one hand I want to say that this series shares similarities with the Charlie Parker books. Each book has a central mystery linked by a murder and a supernatural theme. The latter is mostly subtle. While there are characters who wholeheartedly believe in the supernatural or occult for the reader it's not so clear cut. There is also a reoccurring cast throughout the series who either offer assistance or hindrance and sometimes both.

On the other hand I know how well regarded John Connolly's books are regarded on here and I am loath to say if you like his books then you will like these. For one thing the evil in these books is much lower in key than in the Charlie Parker's novels. Nor will you see the action sequences or levels of violence that you expect with Connolly. When there is trouble here there is no hitman and thief to be called upon just a semi retired plant hirer and a folk singer - this is Herefordshire we are talking about here. Lastly the pace is much slower. Too slow for some I would imagine. In fact I would go as far as to say it's one of those series that might take two or three books to adjust to the pace and to get to know the cast.

Or in all despite these reservations if you enjoy a good mystery read I would still recommend them.