You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Celebrity Reds Fans

Section_31

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

See Ash Barty’s boyfriend had a LFC cap and mask on during the Australian Open final. Think we can claim her.

She's a Manc apparently, but he's a massive red, I did a quick search on him and he has LFC as part of his twitter handle, and seems to be wearing an LFC cap and / or replica shirt in most photo's when he's with her.

I did see one pic of them both at Anfield for a game like. Red or not she seems sound anyway, superb player!

• Upvote 2

The most embarrassing encounter Elvis Costello has had with a football player came when he started freaking out on an aircraft. “There was very heavy turbulence and I was making a fool of myself,” the singer tells FourFourTwo magazine. When things settled, he turned and saw Paul McGrath, the Manchester United defender, in the seat behind. A fan of their big rivals, Liverpool, Costello felt shame at letting the side down but McGrath forgave him. “You were drowning out the sound of my screaming,” he said.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Mook said:

I'm surprised McGrath wasn't fucking blootered.

Love that story about Jack Charlton posting one of his coaches to sit all night outside McGraths hotel room before a big game , but nobody checking the mini bar , and finding him the next morning on the floor , surrounded by a skip load of miniatures.

• Upvote 3

On 01/02/2022 at 21:31, sir roger said:

Love that story about Jack Charlton posting one of his coaches to sit all night outside McGraths hotel room before a big game , but nobody checking the mini bar , and finding him the next morning on the floor , surrounded by a skip load of miniatures.

There's a good argument that this was one of the main reasons it took United so long to win the league,because too many of them liked a drink. McGrath,Robson,Whiteside et al had a big drinking culture going which couldn't have helped with certain games they should have won during a season.

On 01/02/2022 at 21:31, sir roger said:

I would be...sceptical about this story. I can't find any reference to it online. Could an alcoholic drink themselves into a stupor with the miniatures from a hotel mini bar? Jack Charlton was very kind to Paul McGrath. George Best would have been better served by the likes of Jack than the hangers-on who pushed him into an early grave.

Paul McGrath shares touching story of Jack Charlton’s compassion during his alcohol battle

September 29, 2020 by Paul Moore

A lovely insight from Paul McGrath into what made Jack Charlton so special as a man and a manager.

While 2020 has been a hard year for everyone, the last few months have been particularly tough for Irish legend Paul McGrath after the sad passing of his mother, Betty, and a man that he regarded as a surrogate father, Jack Charlton.

In the season premiere of Lodging With Lucy, it’s comforting to know that McGrath takes great comfort and pride in how revered he is by the Irish public. Here’s hoping that he always finds that a source of immense happiness and strength.

However, before the show aired, the former Aston Villa and Manchester United defender appeared on The Ryan Tubridy Show and he spoke candidly about a moment when the disease of alcoholism had him in its grips.

Thankfully, Jack Charlton was on hand to give Paul McGrath the compassion, understanding, and patience that’s required.

“I knew Jack loved me. He loved me because he left me off that amount of times and he gave me more chances than any man deserved, to be honest. I think it was the Turkish game – when I genuinely couldn’t get off the bus – that night, he came back up to his room and I was sitting in a room on my own.

“The sweat was pumping out of me. He sat on the bed, he leaned over me and said ‘I’m sorry, son. I didn’t realise how bad you got it’ and I started bawling. Just then, he might have got what this thing was doing to me. It was a lovely thing for him to do because I think we just won 5-0 or something. We beat the Turks and were having a great day. For him to even bother with someone that had let him down, he was a really good man.”

“I felt that this is a man that actually cares about how you’re doing. It has nothing to do with football, or that he just wants you for the next game or anything like that. It’s just about Jack thinking ‘Oh my God, this lad is not well’ and I wasn’t well,” said McGrath.

In terms of his chat with Lucy Kennedy, it’s comforting to know that McGrath and a large part of the Irish squad got to saw one last goodbye to their former manager before he passed away.

During the show, McGrath said that a lot of the Irish squad – including himself – were at a golf event last year with Charlton also in attendance.

“It was lovely to have that day with him because we knew he wasn’t well. We had a fabulous day there. He was brilliant with me, kind and fair,” said McGrath.

Given McGrath’s immaculate consistency and heroics in an Irish jersey, the next few lines provide an interesting insight into what made the bond between both men so special.

McGrath always loved playing for his country and the green jersey, but every time he took to the pitch, he was also conscious of repaying Charlton’s trust and effort.

“He was brilliant with me because I caused him so many problems in areas that I shouldn’t have, just with drinking and not showing up for certain meetings. He genuinely wanted me in the team and I knew that. I always tried to say to myself ‘look, try and behave a little bit better tonight so you can make it to tomorrow.’

“There were times when we used to get beaten and I’d blame myself because I felt like I let him down and that I had to do better for him the next time. But there were times when I shouldn’t have been playing football because I wasn’t well,” said the legendary defender.

As for Paul McGrath’s time playing for Ireland under Jack Charlton, the former St Patrick’s Athletic man said that he still treasures every second of it.

“I look back on it and I loved every minute that I played for Ireland. I love the jersey. I love the thing about being Irish and pulling on that green jersey. There’s no bigger thrill, but I sometimes think I didn’t give everything I had because maybe, it wasn’t possible on certain days,” he said.

As any Irish supporter will say, McGrath did more than enough….and that’s an understatement.

• Upvote 4

I hope every single one of our celebrity hangers on all get a ticket for the final. Seeing how many the club have kept to one side, I reckon there’ll be enough for another thousand to come out the woodwork and declare their undying love for us.