You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Could you have made it?

lifetime fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think I'd have made it if I'd grown a bit earlier.

Problem with kids footy is that unless you have some god given talent, it's the bigger lads who are able to dominate play, who will sand out when the scouts are watching and so get picked up.

I played for Wirral Schools back in the day in addition to Sunday League and the school team. I was a central midfielder. I could pass and shoot off either foot. I wasn't lightning but wasn't slow either. I was in the same year as Jason McAteer at school. Around that time (in my estimation) there wasn't a lot of difference in our level, but obviously he went on to bigger and better things.

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender.

No I couldn't have made it though. I've never had the drive to play at a competitive level, and when I was a lot younger, I wasn't that tall and was very skinny so I would have been overlooked anyway.

I had the ability to read a game, a decent left foot so I could shoot from distance, and I could make runs into the box to get on the end of chances. If I played now I'd certainly lack the mobility and stamina, but could still read the game and shoot from distance. I did once score from around halfway on a full-size pitch. World class it was.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Was a goalie and a left-footed utility player (anywhere up the middle and anywhere on the left) used to take all set pieces bar penalties. Was playing at a level roughly 8 divisions off the PL for £15 a game. Knee injury put paid to all that in the end.

Guest TK-421

Yes, of course. I'm excellent at most things when I put my mind to it.

If you're a regular here you can probably tell from my posts that I have an astute knowledge of the game and an uncanny ability to predict the future.

I was a tricky winger but was a bit of a pussy. I would bottle out of the odd 50/50 cos the other lads were tougher than me, but not as quick or skilful. I played in the school team for four consecutive years. We had a midfield player who was signed up for Charlton and he said I "had the touch".

I reckon if I solely concentrated on footy I'd have racked up 600 appearances for the Reds, maybe more. But I was so hard, street and cool that I did other stuff like smoking cigarettes and going to rock 'n' roll shows.

Had trials for England schools, back in Bobby Robson's day, actually met him at Lilleshall.

Turned them down, had Dave Sexton tried to talk me around in my parents living room.

Was very good mates with Kevin Phillips back in the day (Hertfordshire Schools), but now wouldn't know me from Adam. We were at the above trials together, and at one of them, Jamie Redknapp was there too, when he and his old man were at Bournemouth.

I was at Luton Town for years, when they had their shite astro turf, then got bombed out before turning pro. Funnily enough, only one player out of the group who was offered pro terms, his mum was shagging the chief scout............

I played in the same team at Crewe Alex with Rob Jones when I was there for 18 months as a keeper. Dario was and still is a quality coach. I then moved across to Chester City, around the time that Stuart Rimmer was moving to Watford. I was only 14 at the time, but I occasionally trained with the first team and did a lot of work with the goalies. It was from one of them, that I got my FA Cup Final ticket in 1988.

Sadly, as happened to a lot of lads, injury put paid to my career, so now I do the next best thing and coach my daughters U10's team instead.

I was a decent player as a lad. Good finisher, and i could put a ball on a fivepence from 30 yards, but i had all the pace of a sloth on ketamin.

I joined the army at 16 , discovered beer and pussy, and that was that.

BTW, i played for the royal engineers with a couple of very good young scouse lads who played for Engerlund schoolboys in the 80's.

Much better Gaelic footballer and trained with the underage Dublin teams. Was decent at soccer* in the centre back role but we weren't allowed play it in my school (No soccer or rugby allowed) so only started playing it properly from about 17. Would never have been good enough for league of Ireland level but was a decent Sunday league player.

*Apologies for using the term “soccer”, but I was trying to differentiate between Gaelic Football and Association Football.