You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Could you have made it?

lifetime fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played against Vegard Heggem once. He got the better of me, to say the least.

I've also played against Frank Strandli (a few games for Leeds) once, and several times against Alf Inge Haaland (Forest, Leeds and Manchester City). But I never kicked Haaland like Keane did. Guess I was too soft at heart to become a professional. :whistle:

I was a hugely promising right winger if you all MUST know. I had been called up to the national youth development program when a physio told me I needed an ankle-op. Drugs, alcohol and girls took over after that, but there's no way I ever had the commitment or desire to really go for it.

Goddamnit! You could have been the right winger that we sorely need if you'd stayed away from women, beer and drugs. Guess you would have played for only £10,000 a week, too?

Do you think you have (had) the ability to play at a decent level?

I know this will lead to the inevitable 'almost' stories but do any of you feel you had the talent/ability to have made a living from football?

And do you think (dreams not allowed) you could have ever played for Liverpool?

I was playing for a crappy Sunday League team with Vague Connections too Marine F.C., I got asked too go for a trial with them, I did and Performed admirably, which got me Noticed by the A scout for a Certain "Blueshite" who said the Usual stuff "I think your Good enough" "bit of work" etc now I am Liverpool through n through but Too a 14\15 Year old Kid who Never thought "Yeah I could be a Footballer" its a bit of a boost, so he arranges a trial and Comes too my Next match, gives me the "do well where watchin" I tear my Cruciates he disapeared and that was that.

No Maybe a 3rd division Wonder but No Higher maybe the odd F.A. cup Giant Killin :D

I was playing for a crappy Sunday League team with Vague Connections too Marine F.C., I got asked too go for a trial with them, I did and Performed admirably, which got me Noticed by the A scout for a Certain "Blueshite" who said the Usual stuff "I think your Good enough" "bit of work" etc now I am Liverpool through n through but Too a 14\15 Year old Kid who Never thought "Yeah I could be a Footballer" its a bit of a boost, so he arranges a trial and Comes too my Next match, gives me the "do well where watchin" I tear my Cruciates he disapeared and that was that.

No Maybe a 3rd division Wonder but No Higher maybe the odd F.A. cup Giant Killin :D

You look a hell of a lot like Xabi going off your picture

I reckon I could play Semi-Pro, the only thing stopping me would be pace, but as a defensive midfielder I reckon I'd give it a decent crack. The team I play for at the moment is a decent standard if not great but we played Airbus from the Welsh premier league a while back and lived with them for about 60 mins.

If I would have taken my football seriously at Uni then It would be a definite.

I'm taking my first coaching badge this year and then looking to take the first Uefa badge by next year. Might get involved in the professional scene yet.

I reckon I could play Semi-Pro, the only thing stopping me would be pace, but as a defensive midfielder I reckon I'd give it a decent crack. The team I play for at the moment is a decent standard if not great but we played Airbus from the Welsh premier league a while back and lived with them for about 60 mins.

If I would have taken my football seriously at Uni then It would be a definite.

I'm taking my first coaching badge this year and then looking to take the first Uefa badge by next year. Might get involved in the professional scene yet.

It's fucking mad playing against even semi-pro players when you've got one and a half left feet like me. My mate at work gets paid to play - he's a centre-back. However, when we play 5-a-side at work, he absolutely takes the piss (and we've got some very good players there). He does things like score from his own half by bending it around the closing player, and when he passes, he fucking drills it (& to feet every time).

and when he passes, he fucking drills it (& to feet every time).

This is what really fucks me off about Ingurland. Every day during training we would stand in a line and have the ball fucking fired at you, you didnt control it, 10 press ups and a sprint round the pitch. You get caught not putting it in around the pitch then 100 press ups. How can International players not even control the ball and pass it 10 yards to feet?

No, I played decent amateur for a while but was in a bit of period where socially eveything and everyone I knew was out all weekend. It peaked when I fell aleep during a match on the wing. I gave it up for a couple of years and never really picked it back up.

Now I just play in a 7 aside league with some mates that I really enjoy. its half serious but its more about breaking up the week, meeting up with mates and having a few beers after.

LOL...that bit about falling asleep on the wing- class obviously you werent gettin a lot of service.

I was only ever an amateur pub level player Sefton Park etc, I only played under lights when I moved to SA. I had a mate though who was chased by the blue shite cos he brought his gear into training in a Liverpool tog bag..hehe

I have played football since I was 9-10 years old. Never at any high level because I am to lazy and are more into skiiing in the winter than playing football outdoors on ice in - 10 C. Formerly 4 division in Norway and a short spell as a "pro" in England at university. Now 7-a-side and old boys.

Might be playing for Liverpool next year in fact in the Supporters Cup here in Oslo ;)

• 6 years later...

No. I was always picked last on sports lesson team selection. Even the lad who was in the closet, and played in an effeminate manner, was deemed more worthy of a place in a side than me. There was always the two of us left, and then he'd get picked, and the other captain would then reluctantly mumble that they'd have me. I think they'd rather have played with a man down.