You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Common words you can’t pronounce

I am pretty much the only person I know who pronounces Tofu as Toffoo rather than towfoo. I'm not changing it now though, towfoo just sounds so pretentious and try hard

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's a fucker. 

Bio-pic, or Bye-oppick?  I'm still not sure.

Bye-oppick, shirley?

Like biography, you don't say bio-graphy, do you?!

• Upvote 1

Until about two years ago I thought hyperbole was pronounced hyperbowl.

"Aaaand this year's Hyperbole will be a face-off between the Saturn Titans and the Jacksonville Jetpackers!!"

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ha. Same. To make it worse I was corrected by my youngest daughter on that one. 

It's another example of why teaching phonics is stupid, because the English language is stupid. There are more exceptions to the rules than rules.

Although I like what I think someone on here once said - "never criticise someone for mispronouncing a word - they learned that word through reading."

• Upvote 3

The wife struggles to say statistics, so I try to find excuses to make her say it as often as possible. We were buying tiles a few years back and she struggled like fuck to say Porcelanosa so I had to teach her it phonetically like she had had a bang on the head.

Her nieces all pronounce the Elle brand as Ellie, and one of them pronounces a sleeveless coat as a gillet. In a similar vein a very nice young lady training in Dunelm once referred to a piece of bedding as a duvvett.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The wife struggles to say statistics, so I try to find excuses to make her say it as often as possible. We were buying tiles a few years back and she struggled like fuck to say Porcelanosa so I had to teach her it phonetically like she had had a bang on the head.

Her nieces all pronounce the Elle brand as Ellie, and one of them pronounces a sleeveless coat as a gillet. In a similar vein a very nice young lady training in Dunelm once referred to a piece of bedding as a duvvett.

I pronounce gilet as body warmer.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Until about two years ago I thought hyperbole was pronounced hyperbowl.

"Aaaand this year's Hyperbole will be a face-off between the Saturn Titans and the Jacksonville Jetpackers!!"

Hyperbole is spelt completely wrong. I can’t pronounce it either. 

• Upvote 1

I work with people who say ‘bolog naise’ 

What do they think when everyone else says it properly?

One of the same people pronounces Hotel du vin as it’s written 

On 26/03/2024 at 22:19, Remmie said:

I am pretty much the only person I know who pronounces Tofu as Toffoo rather than towfoo. I'm not changing it now though, towfoo just sounds so pretentious and try hard

One for the Annoying Americanisms thread that

I can think of two occasions in my life that I have mispronounced words. The first when I was about 5 years old, I was convinced that 'monster' was pronounced 'munster', and had a screaming argument with my mother over it. The second was the first time I encountered the word 'coeliac'. For some reason I assumed it had a hard C at the start. This is one instance where the American spelling makes a whole lot more sense.

• Upvote 2