You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

29 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

It's probably because they've taken a big bet on somebody else so they want more people to bet on Alonso with them to balance the book. 

1.57 to 2.1 is not a huge shift in the odds anyway.

I think it is, it's going from odds on to less than fifty/fifty. It's interesting though as lots of other bookies aren't lengthening the odds. Possibly reacting to a Fabrizio Romano tweet

58 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I think it is, it's going from odds on to less than fifty/fifty. It's interesting though as lots of other bookies aren't lengthening the odds. Possibly reacting to a Fabrizio Romano tweet

It's a swing of 53 points, but he's still the clear favourite.

It's better to track these sort of things on the exchanges.

He's 2.4 favourite on them currently.

image.png

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

It's a swing of 53 points, but he's still the clear favourite.

It's better to track these sort of things on the exchanges.

He's 2.4 favourite on them currently.

image.png

Yeah still a massive favourite but going to 2.4 has to be a concern. Don't the exchanges charge a commission? 

18 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I remember when Joe Biden was 3/1 to win on election night. 

The lesson I took from that day was: if the odds look really good, stick more than a tenner on.

Uk to leave the EU was 6/1 on the night of the vote!

35 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Yeah still a massive favourite but going to 2.4 has to be a concern. Don't the exchanges charge a commission? 

Why is it a concern? It's really not that big a change in the scheme of things. All it means is that those bookmakers will have a liability on somebody else, so they want people to bet on Alonso with them to help balance the book. 

Yes they charge 5% on profit. It's just easier to track the odds on those sites though so you can see if something is coming in or drifting out. 

Generally these sorts of markets are always a bit chaotic anyway as you get people regularly putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. 

5 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Why is it a concern? It's really not that big a change in the scheme of things. All it means is that those bookmakers will have a liability on somebody else, so they want people to bet on Alonso with them to help balance the book. 

Yes they charge 5% on profit. It's just easier to track the odds on those sites though so you can see if something is coming in or drifting out. 

Generally these sorts of markets are always a bit chaotic anyway as you get people regularly putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. 

I find bookies odds to be the most accurate predicter of events, certainly better than opinion polls and therefore a move in odds that would more than double the profit should it win is significant in my view. I hear your points though and I'm not exactly pulling out my hair with worry, in fact I just gambled £50 on the new odds. Nonetheless 2 separate bookies have significantly lengthened the odds for a reason. 

Under the new structure, it would appear that Edwards is the main man in terms of a lot of big decisions, not the manager. This may make the job less attractive to ‘bigger’ candidates.

It’s all opening up for @dave u’s boy  De Zerbi.

Carlo Ancelotti extended his contract until 2026, so it could be that Real plan to wait for Alonso until then.

From Alonso's point of view, he may not want to leave immediately so early in his managerial career. He may want to have a crack at the Champions League with Bayer next season.

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

IMG_1105.png

Yeah Richard mate.... its Alonso first choice. Probably Almorim next maybe and then who know but it feels alphabetical order first initial of the surname only could almost be the way to go, that puts Zerbi a fair way down.. almost all the way as the "De" part of his name can fuck The fuck off.

Remember watching him when he played for Pompey. A slightly above average midfielder. Never did I think he’d have a hand in shaping our future. 

If Alonso isn’t coming I honestly can’t be positive at all about the post Klopp fall out. Unless this Amorim turns out to be an absolute wizard.