You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) - Sat 23rd Dec 2023 (5:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

The last game before Christmas then. We could go top if we win and Villa (as unlikely as it seems) drop points against Sheffield United. The display at home to West Ham was most welcome for the level of purpose and intensity we showed, and more against the Gunners would be just the ticket. Arsenal are again riding high this season, but have been battling for wins rather than blowing teams away with attacking football like they did for most of last season, when they ultimately fell short thanks to City's usual 15-games-on-the-bounce winning sequence. Arsenal added Rice from West Ham for £100m and spent another £70m on Havertz from Chelsea in the summer. Odegaard has become one of the league's best midfielders and Saka one of the most effective threats from out wide. They are dangerous and we must guard against it, but we also have the tools to get after them.

Last season's fixture in April resembled a turning point in both clubs' fortunes. Arsenal got an early lead after a kind break of the ball saw Martinelli roll one past a stranded Ali. Martinelli was involved in their second too, racing down the left and crossing the ball to Jesus who buried his header after getting away from Virg. Robbo couldn't get round to cover in time. We were looking flat, and the crowd were unable to rouse the troops. Xhaka decided to help out by needless getting into a tussle with Trent. It galvanised us and we got a goal back when Mo bundled in at the back post when Diogo's cut-back was deflected into his path off Hendo, who had merely stuck a leg out. We had momentum and in the second half, could have sealed the comeback earlier when Diogo was upended in the area. Mo put the ball embarrassingly wide - as poor a penalty miss as the one at Bournemouth. That could have checked our momentum but thanks to a little tactical tweak, we started to pin Arsenal back. That weak was to use Trent in a hybrid full-back/midfield role so he could get on the ball more. As the game entered its latter stages, Trent nutmegged Zinchenko and lifted a teasing cross to the far post. Bobby still had a lot to do, but his header had power and placement and the Gunners couldn't keep it out. 2-2! We thought we'd nicked it at the very end, but Ibou, on his knees just a couple of yards out, could only chest the ball goalward. Ramsdale managed to get back and keep it out on the line. He'd made an excellent save a little earlier from a Mo effort, so could say he'd had a solid game. There was plenty of Arsenal shithousery on display, with players time-wasting on goal kicks, and hitting the deck at the slightest hint of contact and feigning injury. We got a draw, which hampered Arsenal's faltering title challenge and gave us a little boost that we could still claw our way back into the Champions League places.

For us, Robbo, Joel, Thiago, Baj, Mac and Diogo are still unavailable. Hopefully Grav has recovered from his minor muscle fatigue issue and is available from the bench. Everyone involved against West Ham has a valid case to start this one, but the manager is likely to shuffle the pack to included some of the midweek subs as starters. Be wary of Arsenal's threat, but use the feeling and energy from the midweek game to take it to them. Maximum concentration, motivation, attitude and application from first minute to last, and go for the positive result to boost our own ambitions. 3 points please. Get it done!

• Upvote 6

Just fucking win. 

Last night was perfect in that Gakpo, Mo and Szoboszlai all scored after a few below average games and despite not scoring, I though Nunez was good as well.  Jones has surely got himself in contention to start as well. 

All good decisions to have to make. 

Hopefully Jota will be back, he loves a goal against Arsenal. 

Attack-Attack-Attack. 

It could be close, or one or other could have a really good day, too close to call I think.

They’re good going forwards, inventive and skilful, I think they are vulnerable at the back though, and we need to show that’s the case, but without letting them show how good they are offensively.

Could be down to which keeper has the better day.

Don’t lose, preferably win.

Not sure how we will line up here. I'm guessing aren't starts at RB, don't really like the idea,especially against Martinelli who regularly has a field day with Trent.  Gomez probably deserves his spot aswell. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Trent and Endo in a two with Szoboszlai given a more attacking role. 

Darwin on the left with Gakpo and Mo taking the other two spots

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Not sure how we will line up here. I'm guessing aren't starts at RB, don't really like the idea,especially against Martinelli who regularly has a field day with Trent.  Gomez probably deserves his spot aswell. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Trent and Endo in a two with Szoboszlai given a more attacking role. 

Darwin on the left with Gakpo and Mo taking the other two spots

Feel it will be:

Alisson

TAA

Konate

Van Dijk

Tsimikas

Endo

Jones

Szoboslazai

Salah

Gakpo

Nunez

TAA in my opinion despite all the shouts for it is not starting games in midfield any time soon - unless our injury problems get even worse in there.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Feel it will be:

Alisson

TAA

Konate

Van Dijk

Tsimikas

Endo

Jones

Szoboslazai

Salah

Gakpo

Nunez

TAA in my opinion despite all the shouts for it is not starting games in midfield any time soon - unless our injury problems get even worse in there.

Yeah that's what I think we will see. Trent needs to be really switched on with Martinelli other Konate going to be busy

I was hoping last season was just a blip and that Arsenal would revert to type this season but we have to face the terrible truth, they are actually a good team and will once again be challenging for the title. The days when we would spank them silly at Anfield have gone, for now. I reckon it'll be a score draw.

18 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah that's what I think we will see. Trent needs to be really switched on with Martinelli other Konate going to be busy

Yeah gonna need us to make sure we are alive to that threat/stopping it at source too and that is on the players in front of TAA too as well as him and Konate.

17 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I was hoping last season was just a blip and that Arsenal would revert to type this season but we have to face the terrible truth, they are actually a good team and will once again be challenging for the title. The days when we would spank them silly at Anfield have gone, for now. I reckon it'll be a score draw.

Yeah they are a good side and they have finally after years of being really bad at it got their recruitment spot on of late - they've bought well.

They have loads of quality, all at really good ages too - they remind me a lot of us in about 2017/18 - just before we really exploded - loads of talent at great ages, improved a lot with the potential for a lot more.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Like 2014, I think I’d quite like us to be 4-0 up after 20 mins tomorrow. 

Me too. I have to say though, the one result I can't see tomorrow is us giving them what used to be an annual pasting. Can see us winning scrappily, drawing, losing or getting pasted ourselves, but not a comfortable win. 

I want to absolutely fuck these cunts. I was with 2 arsenal fans last night and they're giving it the big un and they'll win the league and be 20 points above us. They were deadly serious, they couldn't imagine a world where they don't beat us on Saturday. I just had to laugh at them. Klopp's comments of the atmosphere being bad seems to have given them a boost to think it'll be easy. Bellends. They even had the cheek to lecture me on atmosphere. Fucking arsenal fans. 

Just absolutely cunt them reds. Then let's fuck them in 6 weeks when we do it again. 

• Upvote 4