You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reykjavík recommendations

JohnnyH

I’m in Reykjavik next Tuesday to Friday at a conference. I’ve not been there before and so was looking for some recommendations on places to see, things to do, etc. I’m obviously going to try and get out of the city one evening to see the northern lights, although there are some restrictions to where you can go as a result of the volcanic activity. 

Also pub recommendations for the footy in the evenings please. 

Mucho go raibh maith agats. 

30 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’m in Reykjavik next Tuesday to Friday at a conference. I’ve not been there before and so was looking for some recommendations on places to see, things to do, etc. I’m obviously going to try and get out of the city one evening to see the northern lights, although there are some restrictions to where you can go as a result of the volcanic activity. 

Also pub recommendations for the footy in the evenings please. 

Mucho go raibh maith agats. 

Everything is day trips.

The Northern Lights will be a coach trip out, book before you go if you can, if not it's easy to do there.

Take a trip to the geo thermal plant, again it's a day trip and you see loads of other stuff.

Take a coach trip to the waterfall, the soup at the end of the journey is to this day one of the nicest moments I've ever had.

See the geyser, as you'd guessed another coach trip...

Take a coach to the original Parliament, you'll see lots of other things, including elves if you just wish hard enough.

With all the coach trips they set out early and get back around early evening, the longer the trip the more you see obviously and most of the above will be availible in some guise together if you do your research.

The hotel will usually pack you a lunch for the trips which means you're not paying for lunch a lot of the time.

Blue Lagoon before flying back is a must, and a wonderful experience.

Not sure on the whales at the minute, but if you can get a trip to see the whales that is glorious.

Booze is ludicrously expensive, and I drink in central London twat bars and I still winced, so stock up at duty free and pre drink.

Bars and restaurants are everywhere and great, but expensive, and you won't have a problem finding anywhere to watch the fitba.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Everything is day trips.

The Northern Lights will be a coach trip out, book before you go if you can, if not it's easy to do there.

Take a trip to the geo thermal plant, again it's a day trip and you see loads of other stuff.

Take a coach trip to the waterfall, the soup at the end of the journey is to this day one of the nicest moments I've ever had.

Take a coach to the original Parliament, you'll see lots of other things, including elves if you just wish hard enough.

With all the coach trips they set out early and get back around early evening, the longer the trip the more you see obviously and most of the above will be availible in some guise together if you do your research.

The hotel will usually pack you a lunch for the trips which means you're not paying for lunch a lot of the time.

Not sure on the whales at the minute, but if you can get a trip to see the whales that is glorious.

Booze is ludicrously expensive, and I drink in central London twat bars and I still winced, so stock up at duty free and pre drink.

Bars and restaurants are everywhere and great, but expensive, and you won't have a problem finding anywhere to watch the fitba.

Thanks for all that. I’ll only have evenings available, but hopefully some of those day trips can be evening trips. 

8 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I've been there a few times - once for a month at the university, once for a drive to the Western Fjords, once to drive around the whole island.

Wonderful place. With excellent if minuscule and extremely expensive potatoes. 

Hope this helps. 

Despite all of the obvious wonderful things about the place my legitimate favourite thing is how proud they are that they can grow their own cucumbers.

17 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Thanks for all that. I’ll only have evenings available, but hopefully some of those day trips can be evening trips. 

Yeah as Bruce says they are all day trips and this time of year there ain’t much day either.

Ive been in Jan and May, would suggest you look at what’s on in the city events wise.

Harpa, the opera house is a great space and they other break out things in various spaces.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

And their small horses, not ponies 

We were doing a trek to the old parliament, before the waterfall if memory serves.

I'm wrapped up in about fifty layers as its about -5,000,000,000 and as we cross a bridge some hardy sorts are swimming naked in the streams.

We looked on in bemusement before they offered us rancid whale meat and vodka like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Wonderful place, unlike anywhere else on the planet, but every single person on that island is a loon in the most wonderful way.

11 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We were doing a trek to the old parliament, before the waterfall if memory serves.

I'm wrapped up in about fifty layers as its about -5,000,000,000 and as we cross a bridge some hardy sorts are swimming naked in the streams.

We looked on in bemusement before they offered us rancid whale meat and vodka like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Wonderful place, unlike anywhere else on the planet, but every single person on that island is a loon in the most wonderful way.

Any country that holds up infrastructure projects in part because of elves is okay by me 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/elf-lobby-iceland-road-project

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Everything is day trips.

This, to the letter. 

• 3 months later...

Just booked 4 nights to Reykjavik next Feb in the cheap easyjet flights Martin Lewis said were getting released this morning.

Coupled with getting £185 for a bank account switch and saving £100 on a TV replacement for one broken by my cleaner, the lad has practically paid for my flights himself.

Going to book a room in someone's house on Airbnb I think.

Excited.

• Upvote 1