You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jarell Quansah welcome to/he's already at Liverpool!

Megadrive Man

17 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It at least seems pretty clear he isn’t an option of pure emergency like Rhys Williams was.

While this is true, Rhys Williams did a hell of a job for us all things considered. Him and Nat got us into the Champions League. Along with Alisson, obviously.

I know it's unfashionable, but I tend towards the view that promising youngsters should be in and around the first team squad, training with Premier League quality players and getting occasional match time at the highest level, rather than being farmed out to something inferior.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I know it's unfashionable, but I tend towards the view that promising youngsters should be in and around the first team squad, training with Premier League quality players and getting occasional match time at the highest level, rather than being farmed out to something inferior.

I think it’s a bit different for attacking players who are more likely to be brought on for 15 minutes than defenders. Centre backs especially are rarely swapped - I realise our last two games don’t support that theory.

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I think it’s a bit different for attacking players who are more likely to be brought on for 15 minutes than defenders. Centre backs especially are rarely swapped - I realise our last two games don’t support that theory.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. And if he's really good, get him on loan with a premier League club, like Chelsea did with colwill last year. If there's not a bottom half team interested in him, he's probably not at a level to be a fixture with us anyway.

The real issue of course is our constant need for a 5th centre back, because 3 of our 4 are so frail and we have no backup right back, so that frail centre back quartet have to step in. As soon as vvd can't make a squad, were fucked every time. 

12 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Ideally though you'd think a full season on loan at a decent Championship club would be good for his development rather than a few sub and cup appearances with us.  Somewhere he could play every week, take responsibility and learn from a few mistakes.

I think being in the Europa helps him a lot. He could potentially get 7 or 8 starts in cup competitions before the January window opens. 

Klopp never picks players if he doesn't think they are ready, so he clearly backs this lad. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Was he good overall? I didn't see the game so what's the consensus here?

He looks composed, pacy and confident and can pass a ball through midfield. He can play both right and left CB, which is handy.

He looks physically imposing but probably still has boy strength at 20 years old. He could be a monster in a couple of years though. 

• Upvote 2

On 05/09/2023 at 13:04, Megadrive Man said:

I think being in the Europa helps him a lot. He could potentially get 7 or 8 starts in cup competitions before the January window opens. 

Klopp never picks players if he doesn't think they are ready, so he clearly backs this lad. 

This.

Obviously you’d rather be in the Champions League, but I’m genuinely optimistic that this season could be a boon for young players getting first team minutes. 
Getting regular game time in the Championship sounds great in theory, but you only have to look at some of the young players who have dazzled in the second tier for Fulham to see that they can be a mixed bag when they step up (Carvalho, Elliott, Sessegnon). 

I think people are playing down that performance a bit. He was fucking excellent. To make your premier league debut away from home is tough. We were so bad in that first half but he was our best player. Great positioning and reading of the game. He made some good tackles 2nd half,  Good on the ball too. I think this is why we weren't so desperate to sign another centre back, they obviously rate him and after that performance it's obvious to see why, he's a top talent. 

• Upvote 3