You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

39 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was just about to post that. What the fuck goes on with our injuries? Are we just too optimistic with recovery times? This thiago injury was meant to be 6 weeks. He's been out since April. 

Seems weird to not even go on the tour - suggests much further away from even proper training than we thought and miles away from playing.

Problem he is out this time with arguably actually goes back to Feb.....went down after  Wolves game on 4th Feb....returned to squad on 9th April - but never started a game and only played 96 mins across 4 games before going down again and "for an op" after West Ham game on 26th April.

Here we are 13 weeks later.....

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Seems weird to not even go on the tour - suggests much further away from even proper training than we thought and miles away from playing.

Problem he is out this time with arguably actually goes back to Feb.....went down after  Wolves game on 4th Feb....returned to squad on 9th April - but never started a game and only played 96 mins across 4 games before going down again and "for an op" after West Ham game on 26th April.

Here we are 13 weeks later.....

But even bajcetic, was he really supposed to be out this long? I don't understand it. 

59 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Considering he's very young and had a stress response around his hip/thigh, maybe it makes sense to take the time to properly train those muscles post-recovery rather than chuck him straight back into games.

Maybe. It just seems we have players who continuously take longer than expected to recover. 

A lot of guessing and assuming has gone on around our medical team. We had a bunch of players that were broken, no medical team was fixing them. 

Diaz is the only clear mistake and even at that it's one loads of clubs continue to make for some reason.

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

A lot of guessing and assuming has gone on around our medical team. We had a bunch of players that were broken, no medical team was fixing them. 

Diaz is the only clear mistake and even at that it's one loads of clubs continue to make for some reason.

Why do you think that's their only mistake? There's loads of examples. Just last season they didn't bother to assess Jota and kelleher after getting injured on international duty and said rest would be enough without examining them and they both broke down on return to training with the same injury. And time and again - just like this thiago injury, they give a timeline that is months out..thiago was 6 weeks, it's now 13. Last season bobby was 2 weeks and ended up as 9 weeks. It's not all about the crocks, it's about a continuous issue with getting players back as planned. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

But even bajcetic, was he really supposed to be out this long? I don't understand it. 

Bajcetic i am less worried about - just think we are being dead careful/don't want a repeat of Ramsay situation.

As for the crock - its just the same old shite.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why do you think that's their only mistake? There's loads of examples. Just last season they didn't bother to assess Jota and kelleher after getting injured on international duty and said rest would be enough without examining them and they both broke down on return to training with the same injury. And time and again - just like this thiago injury, they give a timeline that is months out..thiago was 6 weeks, it's now 13. Last season bobby was 2 weeks and ended up as 9 weeks. It's not all about the crocks, it's about a continuous issue with getting players back as planned. 

You seem more clued in than me but I'm struggling to believe an organisation as tight fisted as us wouldn't assess a 40m asset. My memory of Kelleher is we blamed the FAI for something rather than not assessing him.

The timeline thing is an issue we're again guessing about. Klopp gives snippets and moves on, we're not privy to medical information. An Tha in particular has a huge bee in his bonnet over this, for example we said we thought Virgil was OK when he wasn't. Klopp gave a response straight after a match based on what the player felt, the player was wrong. No crime was committed, no mistake was made by Klopp or the medical department.

Everyone one of the medical staff could be absolute morons, I just struggle to see it myself. We hire the best in class for everything else, the idea we would skimp on medical personnel is moronic and something I've seen and heard plenty of times.

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

You seem more clued in than me but I'm struggling to believe an organisation as tight fisted as us wouldn't assess a 40m asset. My memory of Kelleher is we blamed the FAI for something rather than not assessing him.

The timeline thing is an issue we're again guessing about. Klopp gives snippets and moves on, we're not privy to medical information. An Tha in particular has a huge bee in his bonnet over this, for example we said we thought Virgil was OK when he wasn't. Klopp gave a response straight after a match based on what the player felt, the player was wrong. No crime was committed, no mistake was made by Klopp or the medical department.

Everyone one of the medical staff could be absolute morons, I just struggle to see it myself. We hire the best in class for everything else, the idea we would skimp on medical personnel is moronic and something I've seen and heard plenty of times.

The kelleher and Jota situations absolutely happened. I often hear different things about our medical issues (can't say why), but I've posted a bits on here over the years about stuff before it was public knowledge. 

In my post above, I didn't actually say our medical staff are all morons. I actually started this exchange with "Are we just too optimistic with recovery times?" And followed it up with things like " it's about a continuous issue with getting players back as planned". I genuinely don't know what the problem is. We have lots and lots of qualified staff, many of whom have worked successfully at other clubs. But we get something wrong somewhere, because we are regularly given dates on players that they don't get near - which in turn must play havoc for klopp. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, an tha said:

Klopp on latest injury situation.

Bit vague about Thiago this report...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-fitness-update-szoboszlai-thiago-bajcetic-and-bradley

Kind of strange where he seems to be talking about bajcetic and then half talking about thiago too..I don't know if you can read too much into it though. Although even of he said he was back when the team got back, I wouldn't read too much into it. 

“Unfortunately, he had a little procedure this morning,” Arteta said after Arsenal’s penalty shootout win over Monaco in the Emirates Cup. “He had some discomfort in his knee that has been causing some issues and they had to go in and resolve it. It is not something major but he looks to be out for a few weeks, I think.

“It is a big blow because we had him back to his best, especially the way he played against Barcelona, and he was in good condition and we lost him. But he has been feeling some discomfort in the last few weeks and we had to look at it, we had to make a decision and the best one is to protect the player and get him back as quick as possible so we decided to do it.

“It is something related to the previous injury that he had and the surgery. He had some irritation in the knee and we had to get it resolved.”

14 hours ago, No2 said:

“Unfortunately, he had a little procedure this morning,” Arteta said after Arsenal’s penalty shootout win over Monaco in the Emirates Cup. “He had some discomfort in his knee that has been causing some issues and they had to go in and resolve it. It is not something major but he looks to be out for a few weeks, I think.

“It is a big blow because we had him back to his best, especially the way he played against Barcelona, and he was in good condition and we lost him. But he has been feeling some discomfort in the last few weeks and we had to look at it, we had to make a decision and the best one is to protect the player and get him back as quick as possible so we decided to do it.

“It is something related to the previous injury that he had and the surgery. He had some irritation in the knee and we had to get it resolved.”

Have arsenal hired one of our medical team?

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Have arsenal hired one of our medical team?

The point of the article was to point out its not simple stuff we're dealing with, these guys are among the most physically impressive athletes on the planet. Its not as easy as just sticking a plaster on it and way you go.

I see Nukunku left the pitch with discomfort in his left knee last night. He damaged ligaments in that knee in November and missed 3 months.  Looks very similar to Diaz, now I don’t know if they operated or not but timeline suggests they also went for the rest approach. I can only assume clubs and doctors don't like slicing and dicing players knees unless they absolutely have to. Chelsea would have agreed with the approach or they wouldn't have signed him.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

The point of the article was to point out its not simple stuff we're dealing with, these guys are among the most physically impressive athletes on the planet. Its not as easy as just sticking a plaster on it and way you go.

I see Nukunku left the pitch with discomfort in his left knee last night. He damaged ligaments in that knee in November and missed 3 months.  Looks very similar to Diaz, now I don’t know if they operated or not but timeline suggests they also went for the rest approach. I can only assume clubs and doctors don't like slicing and dicing players knees unless they absolutely have to. Chelsea would have agreed with the approach or they wouldn't have signed him.

It doesn't mean nkunku's injury is a recurrence. And honestly, if it is, I don't see how it makes much odds. There will be always examples of players with recurring injuries. Football is littered with them. But our fitness record and our ability to get players back on schedule is regularly out of kilter with all the messaging that comes from the club itself. They're not isolated incidents. Pretty much if a player gets injured, he won't be back when they say in the majority of cases. There's something wrong when the schedule is an exception.