You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

That turns out to have been a typo by the Echo which should have read "Ox is in training" - plenty of Getty images of him, unlike (deep breath) Keita, Firmino, Phillips, Diogo J and Thiago.

Thiago not in training?

As much as I love Thiago as a player I'd let him go in the summer for a nominal fee. 

It's clear that he can't stay fit enough for the Premier League.

We might struggle to move him on though.

PSG are supposedly changing their strategy to focus on younger up and coming players so I don't know who would go for him on a 200k+ a week contract.

Just now, an tha said:

Boss player - just not reliable enough for us.

Sometimes ability alone is not enough - he just can't be relied on.

Well I can't talk about what he did before here, but I've never been sold on him. He's had phases where he's played well. He's had phases where he's been a complete liability just giving the ball away with careless passing. And even longer injured. While I don't think any of our midfield have covered themselves in glory this season, as we've discussed before I'm not big on doing more than the 3 who are leaving. Right now I'd take keeping milner and bombing him. Pointless footballer. 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well I can't talk about what he did before here, but I've never been sold on him. He's had phases where he's played well. He's had phases where he's been a complete liability just giving the ball away with careless passing. And even longer injured. While I don't think any of our midfield have covered themselves in glory this season, as we've discussed before I'm not big on doing more than the 3 who are leaving. Right now I'd take keeping milner and bombing him. Pointless footballer. 

Hard to argue with that.

He is clearly a very gifted footballer and very technically good - but his inability to stay fit and his inability to influence games as much as maybe he should has certainly seen his time with us be underwhelming.

I'd get rid this summer for sure.

9 hours ago, an tha said:

Hard to argue with that.

He is clearly a very gifted footballer and very technically good - but his inability to stay fit and his inability to influence games as much as maybe he should has certainly seen his time with us be underwhelming.

I'd get rid this summer for sure.

I honestly think too many people get carried away with how good he looks passing a ball and how in control he looks with his no look pass. Except 9 out of 10 of those no look are just dull 10 yard passes that if he passed it like other player, nobody would even remember. This isn't ice skating and you get points for artistic impression, it's a genuine results based business. And while he's been with us, for me since day 1 he's not done enough - or certainly enough to justify 200k per week and his tag as a world class midfielder.  

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I honestly think too many people get carried away with how good he looks passing a ball and how in control he looks with his no look pass. Except 9 out of 10 of those no look are just dull 10 yard passes that if he passed it like other player, nobody would even remember. This isn't ice skating and you get points for artistic impression, it's a genuine results based business. And while he's been with us, for me since day 1 he's not done enough - or certainly enough to justify 200k per week and his tag as a world class midfielder.  

Again tend to agree.

His actual influence on games in a way that really matters/makes a difference is not all that and yeah while he can and does look great in possession and knocks it around gracefully, is he doing anything any more effectively than any number of players could do just as effectively. 

People talk about his passing ability but as you say it is so often short passes, yes he is good in tight spaces and yes he ticks us over and there is a need for that, but again it isn't all that hard for a player to do it - many players may not look as graceful as him doing it, but they can do it the same.

How often has he ever made a difference for us by doing something like this for example?

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Again tend to agree.

His actual influence on games in a way that really matters/makes a difference is not all that and yeah while he can and does look great in possession and knocks it around gracefully, is he doing anything any more effectively than any number of players could do just as effectively. 

People talk about his passing ability but as you say it is so often short passes, yes he is good in tight spaces and yes he ticks us over and there is a need for that, but again it isn't all that hard for a player to do it - many players may not look as graceful as him doing it, but they can do it the same.

How often has he ever made a difference for us by doing something like this for example?

And Gerrard could barely run any more by that point of his career. I think thiago is terrific when he tries to up the tempo and plays great straight passes at pace into forwards, not dissimilar to the little ball Trent played the other day to gakpo for his goal at West ham. A pass that is probably justn10 yards, but takes loads of players out of the game. But we just don't see enough of it. And that's when he's fit. I'd love to know where klopp is on it - if he's ready to get rid and if for injuries alone he's just had enough. It must be exhausting to deal with..

In news that will surprise nobody Firmino is not available for tomorrow....the original 'he will miss next 3" will now be at least 4.

Suggestions that Thiago's operation is for problem he missed 8 weeks with recently and them returned to squad but hasn't started a game since return - if so it may be yet another really poor case of injury management.

He was injured on 4th Feb - returned to squad on 9th April and was on bench for 4 games - playing 30, 5, 30 and 31 mins in them before being out squad against Tottenham at weekend - now he reportedly needs an operation on the problem.

Not sure it is case, but if is - fucking hell.

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

In news that will surprise nobody Firmino is not available for tomorrow....the original 'he will miss next 3" will now be at least 4.

Suggestions that Thiago's operation is for problem he missed 8 weeks with recently and them returned to squad but hasn't started a game since return - if so it may be yet another really poor case of injury management.

He was injured on 4th Feb - returned to squad on 9th April and was on bench for 4 games - playing 30, 5, 30 and 31 mins in them before being out squad against Tottenham at weekend - now he reportedly needs an operation on the problem.

Not sure it is case, but if is - fucking hell.

I'm sure he'll be fine next season! 

Fucks sake...

Jürgen Klopp is hopeful Diogo Jota will recover from a knock in time to be available for Liverpool's game against Fulham.

The forward sustained a bruised rib during last Wednesday’s win at West Ham United and then picked up another knock after coming off the bench on Sunday, when he went on to score in stoppage time to secure a 4-3 victory over Tottenham Hotspur.

“He got in the West Ham game a knock in the back, a bruised rib, could not train before the [Tottenham] game but could play without an injection or whatever, but got another knock immediately when he came on,” Klopp said of Jota on Tuesday afternoon.

“You might have seen the celebrations of Diogo, he was sitting down pretty slowly. He didn’t train since then so that is one that is a doubt… he is a doubt at least but I hope he can recover until tomorrow night.”

The already bare midfield options deplete further....and shock, Firmino still out - that original week already long gone.

Thiago Alcantara will miss the final four games of Liverpool's season due to injury, Jürgen Klopp has confirmed.

A hip issue that requires surgery brings the midfielder's 2022-23 campaign to an end, though he is expected to return in time for pre-season training. 

Elsewhere, Diogo Jota and Jordan Henderson will be assessed ahead of Saturday's meeting with Brentford at Anfield, while Roberto Firmino and Naby Keita remain sidelined. 

Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Klopp said: "Diogo has his back issue, bruised rib. He could train yesterday but he didn't do a lot, to be honest. 

"He was not really in danger yesterday for any kind of contact or stuff like this, so we have to see there. 

"Bobby is not yet in team training. We hope that he can start next week with team training.

"Now we have obviously Thiago, he will have the surgery and is out for the rest of the season. 

"Hendo, we have to see. He had yesterday a scan, didn't see the results yet. It will not be a big thing but maybe it's enough to rule out for tomorrow – I don't know that yet." 

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's a good job we have so many midfield options.  

Isn't it....

Just look at this abundance for tomorrow.

Thiago - crocked again

Keita - crocked again

Oxlade - who cares?

Bajcetic - crocked

Henderson - probably crocked

Arthur - you have more chance of a game

Leaving us to choose from:

Fabinho

Milner

Jones

Elliott

Incredible!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Isn't it....

Thiago - crocked again

Keita - crocked again

Oxlade - who cares?

Bajcetic - crocked

Fabinho

Milner

Jones

Elliott

Incredible!

The sooner this season is over and we can dump some of these the better. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Isn't it....

Thiago - crocked again

Keita - crocked again

Oxlade - who cares?

Bajcetic - crocked

Fabinho

Milner

Jones

Elliott

Incredible!

Give it Incredibleh ! until the end of the season.

Still no sign of Firmino in training yesterday.

This was Klopp on 21st April

Here we are on 11th May and he still hasn't even returned to training.

Already missed 5 - likely to be 6 at weekend...

Roberto Firmino is set to miss Liverpool’s next three games due to a muscle injury.

Jürgen Klopp stated on Friday that while the No.9’s issue is ‘not too serious’, it will certainly prevent him from featuring against Nottingham Forest on Saturday and is highly likely to rule him out of the Reds’ upcoming matches versus West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur.

“Unfortunately Bobby picked up a muscle issue a little bit,” the manager said, during his pre-Forest press conference. 

“We will see how long that takes. It’s not too serious but he is definitely out for tomorrow and next week we have two more games, I would say they are impossible as well and then we will see. We have to take it day by day.”

I don't know why they even pretend with Keita now.

Getting hooked at half time v Palace because he was invisible is a fitting end to his Liverpool career.

As for Firmino - shock horror, the original estimate is of course an absolute mile out....

Roberto Firmino and Naby Keita will not be available for Monday’s trip to Leicester City.

Firmino has missed Liverpool’s last five Premier League matches due to a muscle issue, while the injured Keita has not featured since February.

And both players will again be absent when the Reds travel to King Power Stadium.

When asked on Friday morning whether Firmino and Keita are in contention to return for the meeting with Dean Smith’s side, Jürgen Klopp replied: “No, they were not in team training yet.

“I saw Bobby in training yesterday and it looks like pretty much [he is] nearly there, but I don’t think he will be in for the weekend. If I go out of here and he will in the session, I would be surprised. I assume that we start with him team training-wise after the Leicester game. And Naby, no.”