You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jude Bellingham Welcome to Liverpool…

2 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

Could be just a case of getting the bad news out of the way early rather than it clouding rhe summer.

Could also be because he's off somewhere else and it's better to save face by pulling out than being publicly rejected.

If we actually want Rice or Caicedo for example, it makes more sense for there to be a perception we are still after Bellingham. Publicly pulling out of a race we where never officially in reeks of a negotiation tactic. Dortmund will be wise to it but if the player really wanted to come here then it's a tactic to put pressure on him to put pressure on them. I may be last man standing here but I refuse to believe we are this incompetent. 

It doesn't really send a good message either to our players or future ones  we are ambitious but not that ambitious. Liverpool should make a statement signing after this season I think its important. I've never thought we would get him because I don't trust the owners but these plays year after year of waiting for the right one just ring hollow and many signing just seeming opportune. We are a savings account for FSG.

Personally I'm not even that arsed about Bellingham as a player but it's been pretty fucking clear Klopp really wants him but now he's going to have to once again try and compete against the odds. This all could just be part of the transfer dance to get the deal done, personally I'd of wanted Bellingham alongside other top quality players, FSG have had a free ride.

32 minutes ago, No2 said:

If we actually want Rice or Caicedo for example, it makes more sense for there to be a perception we are still after Bellingham. Publicly pulling out of a race we where never officially in reeks of a negotiation tactic. Dortmund will be wise to it but if the player really wanted to come here then it's a tactic to put pressure on him to put pressure on them. I may be last man standing here but I refuse to believe we are this incompetent. 

Agree, why would we publicly pull out in the way it's been reported.... surely all that would do is drive up the price for other targets because it's not like anyone else, other than us, know we need a massive rebuild in midfield... 

If we have really pulled out then it is going to be Mount and Nunez for a combined £100m as Rice or Caicedo are going to cost at least £100m each so we'd be out of that race as well.

There are eight teams that have ever paid more than 100m euros. PSG, Atletico, Barca, Real, Man C, Man U, Chelsea and Juventus. 

Who do people think will really want to make Bellingham #2 or #3 on this list?

How many of these turned out good value:

Screenshot_20230412-154748.png

I think there are two and one of those is really questionable (Bale's CL record saves him, just). Maybe Neymar was good value for commercial reasons? A couple might still get there. How many times did teams think it was going to make them dominant just to find out they had only signed a football player with all the faults football players have?

He is at the lower end of this list for me, at most. Only Newcastle would really be leveraged into that deal IMO, possibly Utd post-buyout.

Real Madrid have three top young CMs already. They need a forward who can be their focal point. They should be after Kane or Osmihen IMO.

• Upvote 1

This team needs world class caliber midfielders. Not good midfielders, not some raw players with potential. We are gonna get bypassed very very quickly. Getting third, fourth, fifth choice transfer targets was what we did after Benitez left and is a one way ticket to complete mediocrity. We know we have a good recruitment team, so if it means paying up for the number 1 choice, then you do it. Fucking this summer up could have knock on effects for years if we can't inject the quality to keep us in the CL.

I knew he'd cost over that last summer and I'm fucking clueless. I'm not buying the club never envisaged they'd have so much work to do after this season! Really I mean doing next to nothing window after window, countless fans saying we need to sort midfield out and the club do nothing, people saying time after time you need evolution not revolution but the club penny pinching so much now we need the revolution and even if we spend over 200 million this summer it's still next to nothing for the cash FSG will ultimately leech out of the club come sale time.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Although different circumstances, I kind of agree.

Although in hindsight, that worked out for the best.

Agreed it was for the best - but the owners left Klopp hanging out to dry to the point he felt it necessary to personally apologise to the player. 

14 minutes ago, Pidge said:

No we need world class goalscorers and a world class defensive unit. We haven't had a world class midfielder since Stevie.

So instead of actually having a well rounded team, we just try and put all the eggs in the same basket?

Newsflash, the defensive line is exactly the same as the one that was one of the best in the league only a season ago. With our style of play our defense is completely reliant on midfield and even forward pressure. You put the 4 consensus best defenders in the world in our back 4, and they are not going to stop the goals leaking in when our midfield isn't pressuring from the front given how high our line is.

Mane and Salah won't happen again, meaning acquiring both players who can score lots of goals, AND be durable and not injury prone. Man City haven't needed to care about their goal scorers getting injured for years, because they have elite world class midfielders who can step in to create and score goals.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

So instead of actually having a well rounded team, we just try and put all the eggs in the same basket?

Newsflash, the defensive line is exactly the same as the one that was one of the best in the league only a season ago. With our style of play our defense is completely reliant on midfield and even forward pressure. You put the 4 consensus best defenders in the world in our back 4, and they are not going to stop the goals leaking in when our midfield isn't pressuring from the front given how high our line is.

Mane and Salah won't happen again, meaning acquiring both players who can score lots of goals, AND be durable and not injury prone. Man City haven't needed to care about their goal scorers getting injured for years, because they have elite world class midfielders who can step in to create and score goals.

No, a well-rounded team is exactly what we need to provide that, not just one 19 year old with a price based on assumed longevity and output they've never really consistently shown.

One world-class player doesn't give you that (and I wouldn't call him world-class yet, although I do think he'll get there). A shielding player that can provide the cover to full backs that Fabinho has struggled to do and a ball carrier that can do the job Naby and Ox were meant to be capable of, plus probably one more would put the squad in a much better position. Obviously players with world class potential are the ideal, but they aren't a necessity, especially not in our midfield setup. 

The defence is not the same, the mistakes they are making now are not just down to the midfield support. Players are carrying the miles they have put in for us and they need support within that unit too. Similarly the chances we are missing are not down to a lack of midfield production and Mo is slowing down too. 

Give the squad the refresh it badly needs, keep the core identity intact with enough changes to progress and support the players, do it early enough for them to have a pre-season together. If Bellingham is part of that, brilliant. But I would not risk not being able to do all of that, just for the sake of bringing him in.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

This team needs world class caliber midfielders. Not good midfielders, not some raw players with potential. We are gonna get bypassed very very quickly. Getting third, fourth, fifth choice transfer targets was what we did after Benitez left and is a one way ticket to complete mediocrity. We know we have a good recruitment team, so if it means paying up for the number 1 choice, then you do it. Fucking this summer up could have knock on effects for years if we can't inject the quality to keep us in the CL.

To be fair we ruled with Henderson and Wijnaldum, granted the attack was better.

The defence issues as you mention in your other post do stem from midfield.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Yes, that has crossed my mind too but it's probably wishful thinking at this point. 

38 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Agreed it was for the best - but the owners left Klopp hanging out to dry to the point he felt it necessary to personally apologise to the player. 

I remember Klopp explaining to Werner the reasons why it didn’t happen. Difference between that and being hung out to dry, especially as we got Jota the same window.

Either way, I don’t really care as it was a huge bullet dodged. 

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I remember Klopp explaining to Werner the reasons why it didn’t happen. Difference between that and being hung out to dry, especially as we got Jota the same window.

Either way, I don’t really care as it was a huge bullet dodged. 

You don't know that. Under Jurgen he could have thrived. Judging anyone at Chelsea is pointless, they are a complete and utter circus.

Anyone who thinks we should have matched the deal Chelsea put in place for Werner because of how it looked is mental.

Football has become far too much about how things look and who you can 'banter' and less about the right things. People are obsessed with the amount you spend or the what player gives you bigger kudos in the twitter stakes than whether you're signing the right players irrespective of cost.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It doesn't really send a good message either to our players or future ones  we are ambitious but not that ambitious.

To be fair, none of them have sent a good message that they're particularly ambitious, either. If they had done, they would have won a fair few more games. The hope of many obviously was that Bellingham would arrive and instantly spark the rest of them back into life, but, given the wretched performances (and attitude) of several of them this season, it's surely just as plausible to have imagined Bellingham would have become the new Gerrard, labouring away to lift too many substandard teammates.

• Upvote 1