You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ultimatums

Remmie

Have you ever been given one and what did you do?

A couple I know have had a bad break up, I like both of them. They are both long split up - divorced in fact and with new partners but the woman has asked me to unfriend the guy, apparently he has been very unpleasant to the extent of needing to call the police a couple times. I am usually pretty keen to hear both sides of the story but if he is being that awful I am not sure I should be stirring shit up.

She hasn't explicitly said it's him or me, but I feel it's kinda inferred. What would jebus, or in this case some cunt on a f**tball forum do?

I think it's pretty petty demanding you do that, or trying to dictate who you can or can't be friends with to be honest, that's for you and you alone to decide.

You being friends on social media doesn't impact her life, it's not like she's asked you not to invite him to yours when she goes around as she's wary of him, which is understandable. Sounds more like she's just trying to claim you for her camp.

I'd go for a few pints with him followed by go karting and post the pics online.

• Upvote 4

Normally, Id say you need both sides of the story here but he's hardly likely to admit cuffing her a few times and even if he did, would you still be ok with the friendship?

So you need to go with your gut and head with this one on who is likely telling the truth. Sorry I cannot be more definitive.

I would ignore her request. She sounds immature.  Asking you to "defriend" someone she's fallen out with is playground stuff. A more mature person wouldn't attempt to interfere with your social life, and just let the truth come out in time. If this bloke is all she says he is, you'll find out soon enough. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Waitak said:

I would ignore her request. She sounds immature.  Asking you to "defriend" someone she's fallen out with is playground stuff. A more mature person wouldn't attempt to interfere with your social life, and just let the truth come out in time. If this bloke is all she says he is, you'll find out soon enough. 

Are you suggesting they start bumming?

I knew a lad who married a girl who was just lovely, he was punching far above his weight. 

On the outside it looked like they doted on each other but they split up very acrimoniously after 20 years marriage after he had a heart attack.

People were calling her all the heartless bitches under the sun but it turned out to be the first opportunity for her to escape a very abusive marriage, mainly mental abuse but some physical.

His kids, now adults themselves hate him and will not allow him to see their kids, so that speaks volumes.

You never know what goes on behind closed doors.

My Uncle Knobhead was given an ultimatum by an old bird of his. She was younger than him and waaay out of his league but unfortunately for my uncle he is/was (like most people in my family) a problem drinker. At least one or two pints after work every day, all weekend in the pubs. 

One day she walked into the boozer he was in and handed him a handwritten letter. Long, heartfelt and basically saying at the end “It’s either you stop going the pub every day or we’re over”. He calmly read it, folded it up neatly, handed it back to her and turned around to face the bar. Cold as fuck. 

Now he’s old, ugly, bald and single and has only recently stopped drinking after turning yellow and spending a week in hospital. I wonder if he ever thinks back to that ultimatum. 

11 hours ago, Remmie said:

Have you ever been given one and what did you do?

A couple I know have had a bad break up, I like both of them. They are both long split up - divorced in fact and with new partners but the woman has asked me to unfriend the guy, apparently he has been very unpleasant to the extent of needing to call the police a couple times. I am usually pretty keen to hear both sides of the story but if he is being that awful I am not sure I should be stirring shit up.

She hasn't explicitly said it's him or me, but I feel it's kinda inferred. What would jebus, or in this case some cunt on a f**tball forum do?

You have more than enough going on in your life at the moment without this nonsense.

If it’s on your mind then you need to do something. I’d say get back to her and say you don’t want to be drawn into the situation and hope that’s the end of the matter

• Upvote 1

Bloke I know was obsessed with playing cricket.  He’d play two games every weekend all summer and any games he could pick up midweek, he be at every practice session and watch the juniors.  

We were playing away at Whaley Bridge and he announced his wife (who was German and couldn’t understand why he played at all) told him it was either her or cricket. When asked what he’d said he replied ‘Well I’m here aren’t I?’ 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

My Uncle Knobhead was given an ultimatum by an old bird of his. She was younger than him and waaay out of his league but unfortunately for my uncle he is/was (like most people in my family) a problem drinker. At least one or two pints after work every day, all weekend in the pubs. 

One day she walked into the boozer he was in and handed him a handwritten letter. Long, heartfelt and basically saying at the end “It’s either you stop going the pub every day or we’re over”. He calmly read it, folded it up neatly, handed it back to her and turned around to face the bar. Cold as fuck. 

Now he’s old, ugly, bald and single and has only recently stopped drinking after turning yellow and spending a week in hospital. I wonder if he ever thinks back to that ultimatum. 

Probably with relief that he chose the right path.