You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Africa Thread

Bjornebye

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Will start evacuating ‘at some point’.

It’s bullshit, nothing is happening, and I should know this as I’m helping to coordinating shit here.

There is still fighting in and around the airport and shelling has been really heavy today.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Will start evacuating ‘at some point’.

It’s bullshit, nothing is happening, and I should know this as I’m helping to coordinating shit here.

There is still fighting in and around the airport and shelling has been really heavy today.

I was hoping after what you said a few days back that it would die down. Is there much will on either side to step back? 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I was hoping after what you said a few days back that it would die down. Is there much will on either side to step back? 

No, this will most likely lead to a nationwide/regional conflict which could run for a while.

All because Putin needs cash to bomb Ukraine.

Golden.

I am about to drive my family for 24hrs, through bandit country, with real chance of being attacked by militia, as my country has failed me and all its citizens here.

This is the only official advice we have received.

I have just had a message from someone I know on the convoy organised by the UN telling me that ALL British embassy staff are on this convoy, despite expressly telling citizens not to. They are in 12-15 land cruisers with British flags on the side.

There is no plan, and they now have deserted us by taking the option they forbid us to.

I have no fucking words. 

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 08.55.58.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I am about to drive my family for 24hrs, through bandit country, with real chance of being attacked by militia, as my country has failed me and all its citizens here.

This is the only official advice we have received.

I have just had a message from someone I know on the convoy organised by the UN telling me that ALL British embassy staff are on this convoy, despite expressly telling citizens not to. They are in 12-15 land cruisers with British flags on the side.

There is no plan, and they now have deserted us by taking the option they forbid us to.

I have no fucking words. 

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 08.55.58.png

Twats … typical UK embassy performance. Hope you get through safely.

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The French, Dutch, Hungarian and loads of others have their people out, or are in the process. 

Seems like mass extraction from an airfield outside Khartoum. 

I have just spoken off the record to someone and called in a favour.

To quote ‘The consulate has no knowledge of any evacuation plan’

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

The French, Dutch, Hungarian and loads of others have their people out, or are in the process. 

Their incompetence knows no bounds. Just like Raab on holiday during the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan, Cleverly is sitting on his hands doing fuck all.

Take care of yourself and yours mate and a safe journey home and kick up fuck about it when you get here.

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Fuck sake, this government really are useless. Hope you and yours stay safe mate.

On 22/04/2023 at 06:52, Bruce Spanner said:

Doesn't help that all senior member of the FCO, those responsible for this, are actually out of the country and on annual holiday. This included the ambassador, deputy ambassador and her replacement, senior politicos and various others. Effectively the 'top' team are all on fucking holiday that's why people have heard fuck all from them.

The cynic in me immediately thinks that’s no coincidence. 

I appreciate incompetence is rife with this government but that just stinks. 

Just being reported on Sky that the UK has evacuated embassy staff from Sudan, and Sunak is saying every avenue is being pursued to ensure the safety of British nationals still in the country.

It beggars belief that things have got so bad before they have acted and I'd like to know what these avenues are tbh, if any.