You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Africa Thread

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Don't tell either @Red Phoenixor @Gnasher -- they will be devastated.

Aside from that is there any path to stability for a country like Sudan? Is being a global pawn their highest use?

Sudan has lots of natural resources, a young and relatively healthy work force and an educated and liberal middle class.

It's there if peace and focus can hold, but that'll never happen with the people and system in place now.

They just don't understand the world beyond their tribal/familial allegiances and that's what holds the place back.

I don't want to do the whole 'That's Africa' nonsense that polutes the common narrative, but old habits and traditions die slowly and we'll never get anywhere when we are placed in positions where we have to whore ourselves out to any despot with a few sheckles.

32 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Mate, it's fucking absurd.

The Americans just whip out the roladex, get names, positions and needs then coordinate extraction.

The Brits 'Well, drat, that does sound like a pickle. Have you tried speaking with the murdering militias about, you know, playing fair and letting you go?'

There still hasn't been any official communication with nationals, this is all through unofficial channels.

Found out about an hour back that the militia broke into my wives cousins house and raped all the female staff there before looting the place.

Bleak isn't the word.

Bleak and horrific don't cover it. What a shit world we live in.

Stay safe mate.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sudan has lots of natural resources, a young and realatively healthy work force and an educated and liberal middle class.

It's there if peace and focus can hold, but that'll never happen with the people and system in place now.

They just don't understand the world beyond their tribal/familial allegiances and that's what holds the place back.

I don't want to do the whole 'That's Africa' nonsense that polutes the common narrative, but old habits and traditions die slowly and we'll never get anywhere when we are placed in positions where we have to whore ourselves out to any despot with a few sheckles.

Is there a way the WEST gets involved now that does not end in a bigger shitshow? 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Is there a way the WEST gets involved now that does not end in a bigger shitshow? 

The 'West' turned it's back years ago hence the investment and soft power that flooded in post US sanctions from the global rogues gallery.

They can't turn round now and say 'We're here guys, we got you' after years of leavng the country at the mercy of vultures, peoples memories are much longer than that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The 'West' turned it's back years ago hence the investment and soft power that flooded in post US sanctions from the global rogues gallery.

They can't turn round now and say 'We're here guys, we got you' after years of leavng the country at the mercy of vultures, peoples memories are much longer than that.

OK.

Sudan doesn't rule itself - is it China?

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

OK.

Sudan doesn't rule itself - is it China?

A little bit or this, a little of that.

You have the US, UAE, EU, Saudi, Egypt, Russia, China and a few others who all have reason to need Sudan for strategic purposes and are willing to to whisper sweet nothings and ply with cash when needs be.

We're fucked as a country and ravaged with factional violence over a huge, and largley autonomous regional structure.

The American caused a lot of this with their 'war on terror' which was largely fabricated when it came to Sudan and the others saw the gap this created and made inroads.

China has largly overstretched itslef and isn't pushing buttons, that I know of.

Russia/Wagner are using Sudanese gold and the faultlines here to extract, illegally transport and sell gold to fund the Ukraine war.

The UAE are using it in their drive to be the voice of Arabs, a lot of Sudanese are Muslim Arabs.

Egypt with teh islamic Brotherhood are trying to get that fucking nonsense here. It has largly been supressed before now, but 'the army' have these goons in their ranks and they are very influential.

Saudi/Qatar/Iran Political Islam and that other proxy wat that's playing out n Yemen where the RSF are providing cannon fodder.

As I said on a previous page, Sudan isn't a country it's just a place where nations go to argue and fight away from prying eyes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

A little bit or this, a little of that.

You have the US, UAE, EU, Saudi, Egypt, Russia, China and a few others who all have reason to need Sudan for strategic purposes and are willing to to whisper sweet nothings and ply with cash when needs be.

We're fucked as a country and ravaged with factional violence over a huge, and largley autonomous regional structure.

The American caused a lot of this with their 'war on terror' which was largely fabrcated when it came to Sudan and others saw the gap this created and made inroads.

China has largly overstretched itslef and isn't pushing buttons, that I know of.

Russia/Wagner are using Sudanese gold and the faultlines here to extract, illegally transport and sell gold to fund the Ukraine war.

The UAE are using it in their drive to be the voice of Arabs, a lot of Sudanese are Muslim Arabs.

Egypt with teh islamic Brotherhood are trying to get that fucking nonsense here.

Saudi/Qatar/Iran Political Islam and that other proxy wat that's playing out n Yemen where the RSF are providing cannon fodder.

As I said on a previous page, Sudan isn't a country it's just a place where nations go to argue and fight away from prying eyes.

Fair fucks for you and others going out there trying to help. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Any news? Are you coser to getting out?

Nothing really changed, apart from we now have more of everything. More bangs, more bombs and more bodies.

Seems like the army are finally turning the tide and some reports are saying the end of fighting in Khartoum is close.

Slept on the floor of a basement last night while bombs when off a couple of streets away.

I made a conscios decisoin a few days ago to not engage with my emotion and deal with the PTSD somewhere in the future.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Nothing really changed, apart from we now have more of everything. More bangs, more bombs and more bodies.

Seems like the army are finally turning the tide and some reports are saying the end of fighting in Khartoum is close.

Slept on the floor of a basement last night while bombs when off a couple of streets away.

I made a conscios decisoin a few days ago to not engage with my emotion and deal with the PTSD somewhere in the future.

That's the spirit. Schedule therapy for 2028.

Yeah, I've seen Tom's latest ("inane ramblings") which seems to indicate the army will prevail in the capital and elsewhere whilst RSF are stronger in their traditional, historical areas of operation.  

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

The Yanks are mobilised and good to go when there's an opening. They know where their people are, as they have been moving people are for easy extraction and pumping out messages. They have lots of planes and personal ready to go on command.

The Brits, don't even know where people are yet as they've done little outreach and seems chaotic. Just been told off the record that they are hoping Brits here take a convoy to a port city a 15/20 hour drive from here through bandit country with a  militia at various points. This is the UNs plan and the Brits hope that we tag along unofficially with this as, of now, there is no plane available and if there was little will to actively send it in...

Doesn't help that all senior member of the FCO, those responsible for this, are actually out of the country and on annual holiday. This included the ambassador, deputy ambassador and her replacement, senior politicos and various others. Effectively the 'top' team are all on fucking holiday that's why people have heard fuck all from them.

Farce doesn't begin to sum up the British response.

• Upvote 2

When I first posted on this thread I did so somewhat facetiously thinking it was going to settle down. I’ve now read what’s happened since. Apologies, Bruce.

It’s an absolute scandal how the UK is responding to this. And there seems to be fuck all from the media. Is it possible you could just organise in spite of them?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Anubis said:

When I first posted on this thread I did so somewhat facetiously thinking it was going to settle down. I’ve now read what’s happened since. Apologies, Bruce.

It’s an absolute scandal how the UK is responding to this. And there seems to be fuck all from the media. Is it possible you could just organise in spite of them?

We've had a few people in the media and were getting some traction, but then Rabb happened and knocked us off the news cycle.

We can't organise inspite of them sadly, as that would involve really sketchy routes without support, we're safer staying in place as better the devil etc

We're fine, it's really dying down here and the RSF will retreat to another city to regroup which gives us a window of opportunity. We think that fighting in the city will die down fully within the next 48hrs.

I've just this second had a security update about the airport being workable, opening up airspace is a different consideration though.

We'll be OK, but that is in no way thanks to any effort on the part of our Government.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We've had a few people in the media and were getting some traction, but then Rabb happened and knocked us off the news cycle.

We can't organise inspite of them sadly, as that would involve really sketchy routes without support, we're safer staying in place as better the devil etc

We're fine, it's really dying down here and the RSF will retreat to another city to regroup which gives us a window of opportunity. We think that fighting in the city will die down fully within the next 48hrs.

I've just this second had a security update about the airport being workable, opening up airspace is a different consideration though.

We'll be OK, but that is in no way thanks to any effort on the part of our Government.

One thing you can say about the about the Americans is that they don't forget about their people.

This Government is incompetent on an epic scale and I hope this all comes out when you're all home safely if not before the fucking shysters.