You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

List your favourite American Bands (for the US tournament)

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Fucking hell. I new from the start I would completely forget a great band which somehow nobody else would mention.

Mazzy Star.

I like Mazzy Star too but there are far better bands than them that won't be getting in this. They don't even have the huge discography/longevity angle that others have. 

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't see Springsteen as a solo artist except on the records that name him as such (Nebraska etc)

The band has always been credited as such. Same with Tom Petty.

Agree with this. I reckon Bruce would be insulted if someone told him he was a solo artist. Clarence, Lofgren, Van Zandt don't rate as a band? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m only posting a list of 10 with Maroon 5 unfortunately just missing out. 

Fleetwood Mac 

Beach Boys

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Blondie

REM

The Strokes

Kings of Leon

Black Keys

Nirvana

Who are the Black Keys? I've heard the name but nothing else about them.

1 hour ago, aws said:

Agree with this. I reckon Bruce would be insulted if someone told him he was a solo artist. Clarence, Lofgren, Van Zandt don't rate as a band? 

The E Street Band wins this competition at a canter, in my opinion. Greetings from Asbury Park, The Wild the Innocent, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River, Born in the USA - an amazing run of albums. They're also arguably/probably the best live band in history. 

37 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The E Street Band wins this competition at a canter, in my opinion. Greetings from Asbury Park, The Wild the Innocent, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River, Born in the USA - an amazing run of albums. They're also arguably/probably the best live band in history. 

My favourite US bands are E Street, Doors, Beach boys, Credence and JHE (assuming we're not treating them as British). Seen them all live and I have to agree with you about E Street ( although it has to be said that IOW 1970 didn't see  The Doors and Jimi at anywhere near their best ) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Who are the Black Keys? I've heard the name but nothing else about them.

You probably know a lot of their songs without realising. They are on loads of TV shows, ads and games. Probably too modern for you, having said that they have kinda an old sound 

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't see Springsteen as a solo artist except on the records that name him as such (Nebraska etc)

The band has always been credited as such. Same with Tom Petty.

I suppose you are right.  I guess it's more of the American way to name the band after the lead singer rather than an ensemble name.  Bit like the sitcoms.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, aws said:

My favourite US bands are E Street, Doors, Beach boys, Credence and JHE (assuming we're not treating them as British). Seen them all live and I have to agree with you about E Street ( although it has to be said that IOW 1970 didn't see  The Doors and Jimi at anywhere near their best ) 

Was that you with the Angels at Altamont?

• Upvote 1