You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

59 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

How so?

Our season starts on Saturday, Even if we sign him tomorrow I'm pretty sure Klopp will allow the player to have a break of at least 2 to 3 weeks. The transfer window closes in 6 weeks, the longer this goes on, the closer Bayern get to losing him for nothing next summer. 

It sounds like Thiago has set his heart on a move here. If he was open to other moves then the interest would already be there?

Just a prediction, which if anything like my pre-season prediction of us getting nowhere near city, then expect him to rock up tomorrow!

Firstly, i don't think FSG want to spend the money on a 29 yr old, with potentially similar availability to Nabby. I'm no FSG fan, but I do get this. I think failing to get this done after Werner and the fact that Klopp desperately wanted both of them is as far from backing the manager as an ownership group can get, so the best thing for them is if we miss out again.

It's a short turn around and he's going to want to know what he's doing for the next 3 or 4 years of his life asap, so he's probably keen to get everything wrapped up (he can still have his break, but I'd be looking for some certainty), but the longer this gets drawn out, the greater the chance of someone else coming in and providing him that. Bayern are under no obligation to get it done with us, so if PSG come in with 35m, then we're out.

Thiago is world class and has made it known he wants to come here, but he doesn't need to sit around waiting for us to do what we do.  

The only players that ever “lose concentration”  or something similar are arse holes trying to force a move.  A game of football is a game football whether it’s Sunday League or the champions league final.  As soon as you’re on a pitch it’s difficult to not actually try your best if you’re not a twat.

It’s not like it would be taking up all of their day anyway.  They might have a conversation on the phone with a manager and their agent and that’s about it.  His performances in the champions league since all of this started flying around the media have shown his professionalism I think and to be fair it all kicked off when Bayern went running to the press trying to talk up the price and make other clubs aware.  He hasn’t said a word.

This might be the strangest transfer saga of recent times. 

Reputable journalists in Germany and elsewhere claiming the deal is basically done. 

The usual reliable ones here like Joyce, Pearce & Reddy saying that there is interest, but not expecting it to go any further than that. 

I mean, what the fuck? 

4 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Reputable journalists in Germany and elsewhere claiming the deal is basically done. 

The usual reliable ones here like Joyce, Pearce & Reddy saying that there is interest, but not expecting it to go any further than that. 

I mean, what the fuck? 

I think British-based journalists being told by club sources that there’s nothing in it followed by Rummenigge coming down on the side of “there’s been no contact” suggests that the foreign journalists were, at best, fed a lot of baseless shit by people they thought they could trust.

3 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

I mean, what the fuck? 

Or we're waiting on whatever the outcome with Gini is? The transfer window has till the end of September to run. The lad has just finished his season and at some point will be entitled to a holiday (dunno how that works with the international break), but if we sign him, it would seem destined to rely on something changing with wijnaldum. 

6 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think British-based journalists being told by club sources that there’s nothing in it followed by Rummenigge coming down on the side of “there’s been no contact” suggests that the foreign journalists were, at best, fed a lot of baseless shit by people they thought they could trust.

I think it shows that our select few know which side their bread is buttered. We are using them to damping the flames, show some casualness that we're happy to wait another 4 months when in reality we're wet with excitement. 

Bayern Munich have decided to cut Liverpool-linked midfielder Thiago Alcantara’s asking price by £9million, according to a report.

Liverpool are keen on the 29-year-old Spaniard, who looks likely to have played his last game for the German side.

Thiago turned down a new contract earlier this year, with his current deal into its final year.

Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said he would work with clubs who presented a “fair offer” for the midfielder. Previous reports have said Rummenigge is looking for at least €30million (£27million).

According to The Athletic, Bayern’s original asking price amounted to £36million.

However, given they would rather lose Thiago for a fee, they are willing to accept £27million.

As such, the source adds that Liverpool could make their move official in the coming weeks.

Liverpool have so far shown a reluctance to spend in this summer’s transfer market, backing away from Timo Werner’s release clause.

What’s more, the Reds ended interest in Jamal Lewis with Norwich wanting around £20million for the left-back.

Earlier suggestions were that Liverpool could wait until January for Thiago, when he will be free to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club.

Thiago capped off another trophy-laden season on Sunday by helping Bayern win their sixth European Cup.

The Spaniard has now won the competition twice in his career, also picking up 11 league titles in his time with Barclona and the Bundesliga side.

Bayern boss Hansi Flick said he would understand the midfielder wanting a new challenge, perhaps in the Premier League.