You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

The Echo showing some serious PTSD:

Liverpool go into Sunday’s match at Stamford Bridge in third place in the Premier League table, one point behind second placed Chelsea and nine adrift of leaders Manchester United who have both played one game more.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

The Echo showing some serious PTSD:

Liverpool go into Sunday’s match at Stamford Bridge in third place in the Premier League table, one point behind second placed Chelsea and nine adrift of leaders Manchester United who have both played one game more.

Would fancy us if that was case....

6 hours ago, stringvest said:

When Fabinho is fit,  he plays.  When Thiago is fit, he plays.  I dare say when Elliot is fit, he plays.  Perfect balance of shielders, ball winners, ball retention and creativity.  

Haha. You are funny. Elliot. You just can't bring yourself to type Henderson. If we get to the CL final this season and everyone is fit, the starting 3 will be fab, thiago and Henderson. 

3 hours ago, Boss said:

I prefer to judge a player on what he does for us. I don't like the way people disrespect Gini on here to praise Thiago. Gini created the comeback against Barcelona. We amassed 97 and 99 points respectively with Gini in our midfield. Until Thiago does that, then he doesn't deserve to be compared to Gini. 

Did anyone compare Thiago to Wijnaldum? If so it doesnt make any sense imo, so agree upon that. Wijnaldum was a brilliant player for us, not least to his reliability. And deserves all the praise he could get for his time here.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Haha. You are funny. Elliot. You just can't bring yourself to type Henderson. If we get to the CL final this season and everyone is fit, the starting 3 will be fab, thiago and Henderson. 

Haha,I know. Elliott played two promising games and got injured. He could be anything yet.

Elliott is another player who gets injured and suddenly becomes Pele.

He looked ok in spells during a very short period at the start of the season. There's certainly potential there but not anything to get carried away about just yet & long term injuries are often difficult to come back from.

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I have no issue with typing Henderson.  Except in the context of our best three midfielders. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

He looked ok in spells during a very short period at the start of the season. There's certainly potential there but not anything to get carried away about just yet & long term injuries are often difficult to come back from.

If you cant get carried away by Elliott, getting carried away is simply not your thing.

I like to watch a player from the stands before I give a proper judgement. I have just watched Elliott live against Chelsea, but he was easily our best midfielder and the performance was everything to be carried away about from an 18 year old who took the Championship by storm last season on loan. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Code said:

If you cant get carried away by Elliott, getting carried away is simply not your thing.

I like to watch a player from the stands before I give a proper judgement. I have just watched Elliott live against Chelsea, but he was easily our best midfielder and the performance was everything to be carried away about from an 18 year old who took the Championship by storm last season on loan. 

I don't tend to get carried away with anything in Football anymore to be honest, it has sold its soul & I've no real interest in going to the games to watch the current incarnation of it.

Elliott ooks like he could be a player certainly but I'll wait and see what the next couple of years brings before making any bold proclamations.

10 hours ago, stringvest said:

I have no issue with typing Henderson.  Except in the context of our best three midfielders. 

He is in our best 3, like it or not! It's complete nonsense that Elliot is, because he's never played any games. He might end up being the best midfielder the club has ever had. Right now he's a kid who's played forward for his entire career to date and got a couple of games in midfield where he did ok in the context of he'd never played midfield before and he's 18. 

I would have had Gini over thiago every time last season. So like it or not, I have to accept thiago is also in our best 3, because he just is. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mook said:

I think Elliott looked great at the start of the season - completely changed our dynamic with that middle 3. I thought we were going to see one of those teenage breakthrough years we haven’t had for a while - along the lines of Owen and Fowler and the excitement that comes with that (not suggesting he’s on their level, but I was getting excited about him at the start of this season)

52 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Thing with Elliott is he must have looked spectacular in training for Klopp to even consider playing him in midfield, especially in the games he chose.

I'm sure he was - but that doesn't mean he makes our best midfield with everyone fit. It's a nonsense just to say it. He's just not in front of Henderson. 

Here we go again. Another thiago injury that we don't seem to understand. From today's press conference. 

Thiago and Minamino, no (not fit to return). Taki is probably closer, he is running outside, and Thiago not. It might take a little longer, a hip issue we have no idea where it's coming from. We have to be a bit patient.

Given our paucity of quality midfielders, it is annoying that he has been missing when he has.

So far this season, for whatever reason, he has managed 16 mins against Chelsea at home, looks to be missing the away game. Missing for Man City at home. Missing for Utd away, Spurs away, Leicester away. Atletico and Porto away in Europe too. I know we have good results in some of these games but you can't go into your biggest games missing your best players and expect to be OK.

3 minutes ago, John102 said:

Given our paucity of quality midfielders, it is annoying that he has been missing when he has.

So far this season, for whatever reason, he has managed 16 mins against Chelsea at home, looks to be missing the away game. Missing for Man City at home. Missing for Utd away, Spurs away, Leicester away. Atletico and Porto away in Europe too. I know we have good results in some of these games but you can't go into your biggest games missing your best players and expect to be OK.

We have serious problems with our midfield.

Too many unreliable players, the constant chopping and changing because of it is a problem.

All points to us really having to invest in the midfield area for me in Jan and in the summer too - because it just can't be ideal to carry on basically having a musical chairs situation regarding who plays in midfield for us any given weekend.