You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Werner has been out-of-his-mind good this season, like 13/14 Suarez, or pretty close to it.

He'll be 24 this season and if the rumours about his buyout clause are true, then it's only a question of whether he'd choose to come here (where he might be worried about being first choice) or somewhere else. There's little doubt we would want him. Even if this season is a bit of a fluke, even before this season he was a top player and fits our style of play perfectly.

The other advantage to Werner is that you can easily see how he fits in this summer. I assume we're not going to want to sell one of our big stars, and that means that Mane, Firmino and Salah will all still be here. Werner fits because he can play left or in the centre, meaning we can effectively play any 3 from the 4 of them and it suits our style of play.

Sancho does not fit quite as well, because he essentially plays where Salah does and I personally think he's perfectly suited there and it would be foolish to try to play him elsewhere. I actually think the ideal scenario would be to leave Sancho at Dortmund for another year and then buy him in the summer of 2021 when Mo will be 29 and we can sell him to Real Madrid for a billion quid a year before his legs fall off.

The problem with that idea is that it does seem like Sancho is ready to move on from Dortmund this summer, which doesn't suit us very well. Ah, well. Can't win all of them, I suppose.

It is rather nice to be in such a good position regarding the future, isn't it? We can essentially just replace one player per season for the next 3-4 years with a really good younger player, all the while spending any extra money on stockpiling the academy with the best 16-18 year olds in the world and progress towards a future underneath a golden sky.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Those reports about Bayern wanting Firminho are gaining page space over here. I doubt we'd let him go for the 75 million being touted, tell Bayern to go fuck themselves. If they were to offer 110 (which is about his true value imo), although in today's current market you'd say 130-150 million wouldn't be out of the question, especially if the player wanted a new challenge and a bidding war ensued. I personally wouldn't sell him as he orchestrates that front 3 and is excellent. However, he'll be 29 this year and if a daft bid came in then Klopp might see it as a chance to strengthen the squad further, seems like he certainly see Havertz as part of his plans. Thing is, Kai Havertz is valued about the same as Firminho, which is daft when you look at his age (20) and the fact Firminho is better. Timo Werner is only 23 and his value is about the 68 million mark, I rate him better than Havertz myself. Personally I wouldn't touch Sancho with a barge Pole for the money being touted. He's fast and can be good, but he is way to inconsistent and his attitude is not that good for a young lad. 

13 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Those reports about Bayern wanting Firminho are gaining page space over here. I doubt we'd let him go for the 75 million being touted, tell Bayern to go fuck themselves. If they were to offer 110 (which is about his true value imo), although in today's current market you'd say 130-150 million wouldn't be out of the question, especially if the player wanted a new challenge and a bidding war ensued. I personally wouldn't sell him as he orchestrates that front 3 and is excellent. However, he'll be 29 this year and if a daft bid came in then Klopp might see it as a chance to strengthen the squad further, seems like he certainly see Havertz as part of his plans. Thing is, Kai Havertz is valued about the same as Firminho, which is daft when you look at his age (20) and the fact Firminho is better. Timo Werner is only 23 and his value is about the 68 million mark, I rate him better than Havertz myself. Personally I wouldn't touch Sancho with a barge Pole for the money being touted. He's fast and can be good, but he is way to inconsistent and his attitude is not that good for a young lad. 

I say we sell Firminho.

And they'll never know that we kept Firmino.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I say we sell Firminho.

And they'll never know that we kept Firmino.

You spotted my cunning plan.................fucking Brazilian names fuck me off, I know there's no 'H' in it, but can't explain why I stuck one in. It's Fabinho's fault, the bastard. 

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Totally disagree. That’s a way worse deal. 

Here I want him (Havertz) badly and to be honest was thinking along the lines of what do we have coming on  behind our list of our soon to be thirty something s midfield circa the 24 to 28 range . Possibly Naby will fulfill his potential and plug the gap.  

11 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Here I want him (Havertz) badly and to be honest was thinking along the lines of what do we have coming on  behind our list of our soon to be thirty something s midfield circa the 24 to 28 range . Possibly Naby will fulfill his potential and plug the gap.  

I think that if we are going to splurge big cash now it should be on absolutely exceptional talent, with most of their career ahead of them. That means Havertz, Werner, Sancho, and the like. Coutinho isn’t in that group any more. 

34 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

As much as I want Havertz if coutinho available for 80 million that's a better deal, 28 this June leave it to Klopp to decide . However with the AFCON (Mane,Salah and Keira  national sides could go deep into the competition ) Werner is the priority signing we need this summer . 

She's English so I doubt she'll be going to the AFCON.

KeiraKnightleyByAndreaRaffin2011_(croppe

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Ive no doubt they are gaining page coverage about Bobby. Bayern likely think their strategy that works on other German clubs for their players works on Liverpool and the media will blindly follow.

There's no way Jurgen is letting Bobby go and Ive no doubt Bobby's not interested either.

Guest Pistonbroke
36 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Ive no doubt they are gaining page coverage about Bobby. Bayern likely think their strategy that works on other German clubs for their players works on Liverpool and the media will blindly follow.

There's no way Jurgen is letting Bobby go and Ive no doubt Bobby's not interested either.

I agree, but you can never say no. Thing is, why would Bobby (saves me adding a H) leave the best team/manager in World football to join Bayern, who of late are not the team they once were. Maybe's the summer of 2021 when he'll be knocking on 30 and Klopp has strength in that position meaning he wouldn't be guaranteed to start. Like many others, I trust Klopp to get most things right, so I'm not exactly worried. 

16 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I agree, but you can never say no. Thing is, why would Bobby (saves me adding a H) leave the best team/manager in World football to join Bayern, who of late are not the team they once were. Maybe's the summer of 2021 when he'll be knocking on 30 and Klopp has strength in that position meaning he wouldn't be guaranteed to start. Like many others, I trust Klopp to get most things right, so I'm not exactly worried. 

He loves his song we sing to him here too much to go anywhere else.

We used to have a policy to telling players when another club had bid for them and whether the club was prepared to entertain the bid. Not sure if we still have it now with Jurgen but, Im pretty sure Jurgen would just laugh at it and especially at £75m.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

He loves his song we sing to him here too much to go anywhere else.

We used to have a policy to telling players when another club had bid for them and whether the club was prepared to entertain the bid. Not sure if we still have it now with Jurgen but, Im pretty sure Jurgen would just laugh at it and especially at £75m.

You also have to factor in that Jürgen is not fond of Bayern. If, and it's a big if, Bobby was to wish for a move then it would start a bidding war, Bayern would be one of the least likely destinations imo. 

Bobby is probably the last attacker I’d sell. He’s pretty much unique. It’s all well and good selling him for mega bucks, but who do we buy to replace him? We couldn’t, so we would have to change how we play. Then spend out on several players and their wages. No point really. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Bobby is probably the last attacker I’d sell. He’s pretty much unique. It’s all well and good selling him for mega bucks, but who do we buy to replace him? We couldn’t, so we would have to change how we play. Then spend out on several players and their wages. No point really. 

I agree, but he'll be 29 this year and will have won the CL (maybe's another) the Super Cup, the Club WC and the PL with us. If a big Spanish team were to show interest then he might just be tempted, like a lot of Brazilians are. I doubt very much he'd want to return to the Bundesliga to join Bayern. as it is, he's ours, and you get the feeling he loves the adoration the fans show him and he's definitely more of a team player than most. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I agree, but he'll be 29 this year and will have won the CL (maybe's another) the Super Cup, the Club WC and the PL with us. If a big Spanish team were to show interest then he might just be tempted, like a lot of Brazilians are. I doubt very much he'd want to return to the Bundesliga to join Bayern. as it is, he's ours, and you get the feeling he loves the adoration the fans show him and he's definitely more of a team player than most. 

Yeah, I think there seems to be a bond and togetherness with the team that will keep them together. Who knows if that's actually the case or not. 

8 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Werner has been out-of-his-mind good this season, like 13/14 Suarez, or pretty close to it.

He'll be 24 this season and if the rumours about his buyout clause are true, then it's only a question of whether he'd choose to come here (where he might be worried about being first choice) or somewhere else. There's little doubt we would want him. Even if this season is a bit of a fluke, even before this season he was a top player and fits our style of play perfectly.

The other advantage to Werner is that you can easily see how he fits in this summer. I assume we're not going to want to sell one of our big stars, and that means that Mane, Firmino and Salah will all still be here. Werner fits because he can play left or in the centre, meaning we can effectively play any 3 from the 4 of them and it suits our style of play.

Sancho does not fit quite as well, because he essentially plays where Salah does and I personally think he's perfectly suited there and it would be foolish to try to play him elsewhere. I actually think the ideal scenario would be to leave Sancho at Dortmund for another year and then buy him in the summer of 2021 when Mo will be 29 and we can sell him to Real Madrid for a billion quid a year before his legs fall off.

The problem with that idea is that it does seem like Sancho is ready to move on from Dortmund this summer, which doesn't suit us very well. Ah, well. Can't win all of them, I suppose.

It is rather nice to be in such a good position regarding the future, isn't it? We can essentially just replace one player per season for the next 3-4 years with a really good younger player, all the while spending any extra money on stockpiling the academy with the best 16-18 year olds in the world and progress towards a future underneath a golden sky.

Can you really see how Werner fits? I think the opposite of you, I think Sancho is the perfect fit. Has Werner ever shown the technique or the potential to play out wide in the same way Salah and Mané do for us? Maybe, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that. I suppose he comes in from the left in Leipzig's two striker formation but that's a different system than what we play.

With Sancho, he could easily play on the left or right with Salah or Mané going central and Firmino dropping in behind. Sancho also has much better technique and ability to link with others so the formation and movement would be more fluid.