You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

120 mill for a 19 year old, fuck that. He's also got an attitude problem, ask the Dortmund fans. I'd stay well clear, Walcott MK2. 

The attitude problem may be true, but Sancho has more footballing talent in his left pinky toe than Walcott has in his entire body. That's an absurd comparison.

2 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Not interested in coutinho. Players coming back rarely works out ( did with rushie of course)

Put it this way had he never played with us before would anyone even mention him?

I think the time has probably passed to go for him, well unless we can pick him up cheap, but this idea if he hadn't played for us.... But he has, and under this manager and worked well in his system and others. Transfers are not just about the last few performances , they're about managing risk. In the plus column for that, we know he can play in this league, for this team under this manager. On the down side, he's been crap for ages. But isn't that what our transfer strategy is all about? Either getting players before they're stars or taking a fading star because we can provide the magic factor to get him back to his old level while buying him on the cheap. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The attitude problem may be true, but Sancho has more footballing talent in his left pinky toe than Walcott has in his entire body. That's an absurd comparison.

Really. You ain't old enough or have followed football long enough to know what Walcott was like early in his career (don't tell me, you've watched numerous You Tube vids). Walcott was a very good young player, who went to shit after all the adoration. Sancho has proven nothing so far. have you watched him play for England? Not all that when he isn't playing in a top team in a league and surrounded by good attacking players. Mind you, you are the oracle of football on here, so as you were Mr arrogant. 

24 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Really. You ain't old enough or have followed football long enough to know what Walcott was like early in his career (don't tell me, you've watched numerous You Tube vids). Walcott was a very good young player, who went to shit after all the adoration. Sancho has proven nothing so far. have you watched him play for England? Not all that when he isn't playing in a top team in a league and surrounded by good attacking players. Mind you, you are the oracle of football on here, so as you were Mr arrogant. 

I've seen Walcott at his best. He was a forward who combined world class pace and ability to score goals and assist in the final third but he was never someone who could get on the ball, eliminate defenders and create for others. Sancho is someone who can link up with the striker, combine with others and dribble, in addition to being able to score and assist as much as anybody at his position and at a very young age. He just has way more to his game than a young or even prime Walcott.

There's really no need for the sarcasm, they aren't similar players. You don't need to be a genius to see that. I think it was a poor and lazy comparison, based on the fact that Walcott was hyped and so is Sancho. That's all. I don't agree with you. It has nothing to do with being an "oracle of football" or whatever that means.

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've seen Walcott at his best. He was a forward who combined world class pace and ability to score goals and assist in the final third but he was never someone who could get on the ball, eliminate defenders and create for others. Sancho is someone who can link up with the striker, combine with others and dribble, in addition to being able to score and assist as much as anybody at his position and at a very young age. He just has way more to his game than a young or even prime Walcott.

There's really no need for the sarcasm, they aren't similar players. You don't need to be a genius to see that. I think it was a poor and lazy comparison, based on the fact that Walcott was hyped and so is Sancho. That's all. I don't agree with you. It has nothing to do with being an "oracle of football" or whatever that means.

Behave, you called my opinion absurd, hence my sarcasm (you should really know what 'oracle' means.) Plus you don't help yourself as you nearly always come over as an arrogant so and so. Some will agree with you, plenty who followed Walcott's early career will agree on my opinion. Plus Sancho has proven nothing so far, he plays in a team who base their whole game on attack, he's bound to shine in the way Dortmund approach their games against weaker opposition. He's done little when they have played better teams or indeed for England. I agree with those who say he is a young talent, as he clearly is at this stage of his career, but he has a lot more to prove before being linked with 100+ million moves imo. Plus I watch every game Dortmund play, either live or on catchup. The Dortmund fans hate the young lad in general and a lot of them can't wait for him to fuck off for big money. I hope we stay away from that potential Charade, I also believe Klopp rates other players better for less money, so I reckon we will. 

34 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Behave, you called my opinion absurd, hence my sarcasm (you should really know what 'oracle' means.) Plus you don't help yourself as you nearly always come over as an arrogant so and so. Some will agree with you, plenty who followed Walcott's early career will agree on my opinion. Plus Sancho has proven nothing so far, he plays in a team who base their whole game on attack, he's bound to shine in the way Dortmund approach their games against weaker opposition. He's done little when they have played better teams or indeed for England. I agree with those who say he is a young talent, as he clearly is at this stage of his career, but he has a lot more to prove before being linked with 100+ million moves imo. Plus I watch every game Dortmund play, either live or on catchup. The Dortmund fans hate the young lad in general and a lot of them can't wait for him to fuck off for big money. I hope we stay away from that potential Charade, I also believe Klopp rates other players better for less money, so I reckon we will. 

Yeah, fair. Maybe absurd was not the right word, I just don't think they're similar at all.

I've watched a lot of Dortmund as well and it's absolutely true that they're a very attacking side, almost too attacking for their own good, but I don't think Sancho's talent isn't transferable to somewhere else.

I just think he's a rare young player who is a creative force and already has so much end product. It's Hazard or Neymar-esque. And his England "struggles" if you can even call them that aren't relevant to me. He's played parts of games for England, been in and out of the team. Not really conducive to success anyway. More importantly, he's been impressive in the Champions League against Barca and Inter.

I've said it before, I think he's worth the money. I don't think it's that different to paying what is considered to be a high fee for someone that is a special talent. We've done that before, notably with van Dijk, who lets be honest, didn't have much experience at the top level either, even though he was 26 when we bought him.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

In a word... yes. In a picture...

Last season:

DwK9NkWWoAAYWm-?format=jpg&name=medium

This season:

football_whispers-heat-map-stats-8.png

Fair enough. He does play in a 4-2-2-2 where he finds himself mostly on the left. Still not convinced that's transferable to the way we play or, most notably, about his technical ability.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Walcott doesn't create chances for others. 

Premier League. 

Appearances 340
Goals 74
Assists

I said in my post Walcott was good in the final third and provided end product at his best. That's undeniable. What he didn't do that Sancho does, though, is get involved in the build-up, be a key part of attacking moves and drop deeper to get on the ball. He can be a creative fulcrum for his team. Walcott was never that. That wasn't his style. Sancho can do that and he provides end product.

120 ish million? Klopp would buy 2 or 3 players with that sort of money - no way he is paying that for Sancho.

I presume Nike want to deliver us a player but I doubt Klopp is the sort to go for that - he won't want the wage structure ruined.

I think Werner ticks all the boxes and we will need cover for when Mane and Salah are away.   Minamino also needs time to settle.

I think Henderson, Fabinho and Wijnaldum still have plenty of miles on the clock and the back up is pretty good at the moment with just Keita needing to prove himself.

I can see us signing Werner and LB back up and that's it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

42 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I said in my post Walcott was good in the final third and provided end product at his best. That's undeniable. What he didn't do that Sancho does, though, is get involved in the build-up, be a key part of attacking moves and drop deeper to get on the ball. He can be a creative fulcrum for his team. Walcott was never that. That wasn't his style. Sancho can do that and he provides end product.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1