You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

40 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think it is a question of profoundly disagreeing over means more often than ends.

For instance, I think most people from most parties (and I include Tories in this) would prefer to see a more equal society. But different factions would be horrified at the means the other factions would use to achieve that end, because (a) they believe those methods to be immoral and/or (b) they believe those methods would not work or would be counter-productive.

That’s just ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So what is it that separates you?

Mostly, imo, ignorance and cognitive dissonance.

Or more widely - social conditioning, a profoundly sick media culture, fatigue, confusion, class. It’s a simple question that doesn’t have an all encompassing or linear answer 

add education to that. And indoctrination 

edit: and comfort/comfortability 

I could be here all day adding more shit to this

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Thanks, I try my best.

“We want the same things but just have different ideas on how to get there” is not based in any kind of intelligible analysis. I don’t want it to seem like I’m picking a fight but I really can’t believe what I’m reading from you sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Spoken like a man who’s never been to Runcorn.

I was going to take the high road and not neg this but the third time and fourth time pushed me over the edge.

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Yet another dig at Labour from you know who. Again, numerous proper, non-cultist Lib Dems have replied to voice their dissatisfaction and confusion with what she's doing. 

It's becoming ever more clear that Swinson's position on Brexit is just a convenient segue to electioneering ahead of a GE.  It was always pretty clear that she was putting herself and her party above Brexit, now she's absolutely transparent. I'm not saying that she wouldn't like to stop Brexit, just that it's not, and never was, the primary aim. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's becoming ever more clear that Swinson's position on Brexit is just a convenient segue to electioneering ahead of a GE.  It was always pretty clear that she was putting herself and her party above Brexit, now she's absolutely transparent. I'm not saying that she wouldn't like to stop Brexit, just that it's not, and never was, the primary aim. 

Of course it's the primary aim, but you must understand that can't happen unless the Lib Dems increase their vote share.

I'd love to see her face when she found out that ITV only want the two main leaders for their debate , but she can come afterwards and discuss them if she wants.

Lib Dem on the radio wanting to know why they are not involved, I am assuming that it's because Johnson has 300 or so seats , Corbyn somewhere about 250 and the Lib Dems are running out of defectors and have less than 30.

3 hours ago, viRdjil said:

That’s a bit over the top and I must say uncalled for. One of you blokes certainly did celebrate, I wasn’t sure which one. Re the last one paragraph, they’re just questions... it’s always good to know what the other side thinks to avoid living in a bubble. If you don’t feel comfortable answering the question then you can just ignore it.

I'll admit to the second bit of my post being a little bit tongue in cheek, not the first bit though!

Can't see how the alliance would work.

Don't get me wrong, I think Farage would love to jettison the Brexit party for a cabinet position or knighthood or whatever , but they have candidates for the great majority of seats and I think if he would get lynched if he tried to deselect any of them without good reason. There is also zero chance of Johnson not running a Tory candidate in any seats.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Of course it's the primary aim, but you must understand that can't happen unless the Lib Dems increase their vote share.

I understand that Revoking Article 50 can not happen unless the Lib Dems win a majority, I also understand the political landscape just enough to know that absolutely will not happen. Jo Swinson understands that too, I think you probably do too if you were honest but I don't expect you to admit it. 

So failing that I would expect the Lib Dems to target the party who are hell-bent on delivering Brexit, not the party offering the only potential alternative, IF stopping Brexit was the primary aim.  But it's not the primary aim, Swinson's current strategy demonstrates that and might now be heading towards damaging themselves. 

I have a feeling that deep down Farage doesn’t want Brexit as he’s happier carping about the EU from the sidelines. He makes a good living from being the EU’s arch critic and enjoys the profile he gets from it all. He’d be bored if we left, and his media opportunities would dry up.

Plus he probably knows the country will go down the pan and doesn’t want to take the blame once it dawns on all the dickheads that they were hoodwinked.

• Upvote 5