You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

Old Joe is now our very own Red Adair, putting out fires and plugging gaps all across the pitch, the ultimate utility player. Much has been made about professional players dislike of the supersub label (detesting it even, David Fairclough's take on that is well-documented I believe), but what about being called a utility player? Anybody here who has played to a decent level can shed a light on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like he’s about to get recalled to the England squad.

No doubt he’ll do an ACL and Southgoat will try and get him to run it off or his foot will come off kicking the ball or something. 

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't think he was bad at all. Bradley was spent and Elliott can't defend much so Gomez was always going to have to defend firstly and foremost.

He gave the ball constantly. Not on his own like but still.

28 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Keep him away from Italian sides.

That was worse than the Napoli game.

No it wasn't. It was appalling. But Napoli was rock bottom.

He always has a stinker in him. A game in which he fucks up and everything goes to shit.

Said in the match thread, I think he's looked off it for a few games. It's not easy to come in and play game after game at this end of the season when you never do it. He's done his hard work, helped keep us in contention, helped win the league cup and he just needs taking out a bit now. But robbo is almost properly back. Trent will hopefully be back soon and we can freshen him up for some more big moments before the season is out. 

• Upvote 3

I was a bit harsh in the match thread, due to frustration, calling him braindead. 

I do agree, he needs to be rested for a couple of games. Without him we wouldn't be anywhere near the top but he has been playing non-stop so it's time for him to take a breather. We will still need him no doubt and we need a fresher Joe.

9 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I was a bit harsh in the match thread, due to frustration, calling him braindead. 

I do agree, he needs to be rested for a couple of games. Without him we wouldn't be anywhere near the top but he has been playing non-stop so it's time for him to take a breather. We will still need him no doubt and we need a fresher Joe.

To be fair that's how he played tonight. He was barely recognisable from the lad that for 2 months or whatever it's been, was absolutely brilliant. Him and endo and maybe some extent Nunez too have started looking over the last two or 3 gamea like their instincts have gone. I don't think it's physical exhaustion with them, I think they're not used to the mental pressure and intensity. 

It was  a horror show from Joe, 2020-2022 Joe. But that's the only real below par (to put it kindly) performance I can remember him putting in this season. He's proven to be very reliable and turned in many top games. Plays where he's told he's needed, never complains, never throws a strop, just gets on with it. Can never fault him for that.