You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ian Cognito: Comedian dies on-stage in Bicester

Lee909

Is it wrong to piss yourself laughing at this. 

Veteran stand-up comedian Ian Cognito has died on-stage during a performance.

The comic is said to have "sat on a chair and laid back for five minutes" during his show at the The Atic bar in Bicester on Thursday.

Audience members told the BBC they thought his silence was "part of the act" and had continued to laugh, unaware he had fallen ill.

South Central Ambulance Service confirmed Cognito was pronounced dead at the scene.

John Ostojak attended the gig at the Lone Wolf Comedy Club with a friend, and said the comic "did a really good set".

"Only 10 minutes before he sat down he joked about having a stroke," Mr Ostojak said.

"He said, 'imagine having a stroke and waking up speaking Welsh'."

When Cognito sat down towards the end of his set, Mr Ostojak said: "We thought it was part of the act.

"We came out feeling really sick, we just sat there for five minutes watching him, laughing at him."

The compere eventually approached the stage, and got someone to call an ambulance.

Staff attempted to perform chest compressions and asked the audience to leave while they waited for help to arrive.

I think I’m beginning to see how this might have happened. A constant on-the-road diet of alcohol, chips, curry, cannabis, cocaine, cocks, breakfast fry ups, and all topped off with Marmite. Poor bastard never stood a chance.

16 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I'm sure I saw him at the Student's Union in Lincoln, around 2003, and not being impressed at all. An "edgy and offensive" comedian with no real humour is what I recall. 

So he spent the last sixteen years ruminating about the vitriolic review you wrote in the student newspaper, and his body slowly responded to all the self-hate by shutting down. And he tried to medicate his self-loathing by using Marmite. You murdering bastard.

Just now, Anubis said:

So he spent the last sixteen years ruminating about the vitriolic review you wrote in the student newspaper, and his body slowly responded to all the self-hate by shutting down. And he turned to Marmite because of it. You murdering bastard.

This was in a time before Twitter too, so I had to post him 5 copies of the paper every day with the word 'Cunt' scrawled across it. Real commitment.