You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Places You Don't Fancy For A Holiday

Mook

I got ripped off within an hour of leaving the hotel in Rome, there were also boys trying to sell us roses everywhere we went & a bloke who tried to charge me 70 euros for letting his budgie sit on my wife's shoulder. It was a fucking pain in the arse to be honest but not enough to stop me going back.

Doesn't she usually charge that for a cockatoo.

Apologies.

• Upvote 1

The Yoonited States of Murica.

There are some things about it that I'd love to see - the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Chess Records, etc. - and I'd love to find out if decent food and booze is available. But the weirdness of the place - the all-pervasive racism; the attachment to guns; the overt, ostentatious patriotism; the distaste for healthcare; the anti-scientific, heretical fundamentalist Christians; the psychological disconnect caused by being the "land of opportunity" and the "sweet land of liberty" which was built on slavery and genocide; etc. - would just make the whole experience too unsettling for me.

I'm far from pro-American, but I've rarely experienced any of that in my travels there.

• Upvote 1

Went to Turkey a couple of years ago. It’s a beautiful country but unfortunately the vast majority of Turks I met were absolute cunts. From the airport security, to the hotel staff, to the bus drivers and to the men and women in the street.

The food was shite, the first cash machine I tried to use swallowed my card and one bloke followed me around a market for fifteen minutes calling me a gypsy bastard because I intervened just as my bird was about to buy a load of knock-off tobacco from him.

If I was offered a free holiday there I’d turn it down.

• Upvote 1

Went to Turkey a couple of years ago. It’s a beautiful country but unfortunately the vast majority of Turks I met were absolute cunts. From the airport security, to the hotel staff, to the bus drivers and to the men and women in the street.

The food was shite, the first cash machine I tried to use swallowed my card and one bloke followed me around a market for fifteen minutes calling me a gypsy bastard because I intervened just as my bird was about to buy a load of knock-off tobacco from him.

I had the opposite experience in Dalyan 5 years ago. Everyone was absolutely lovely.

'A bloke who tried to charge me 70 euros for letting his budgie sit on my wife's shoulder.'

Still laughing at this, ten minutes on.

It was near The Colosseum, there were two boys with a few budgies & they were picking off tourists, giving us a load of chat about how cool we looked & all that & the budgies would sit on your shoulder & they'd be encouraging you to take pictures with them. After a couple of minutes of this nonsense one of them turned round to me & goes "Seventy Euros." & held his hand out.

We'd been had on the first night by the cunts with the roses so I wasn't putting up with any shite & just told them to fuck off & marched off with my missus. After that pretty much anyone who came near us on the street got told to piss off. It did kind of taint our Honeymoon a little bit if I'm being honest the amount of hassle we got.

• Upvote 2

Re. Turkey, I’ve only ever been to Istanbul. Spent a week there in 2005. Fantastic city, plenty to see and do, nice food. However, a waiter called my wife “a lager lout” as we walked past a restaurant. I bought a Fenerbahçe shirt. I was wearing it one night when some fella approached me, opened his jacket and showed me a massive knife and said he would have cut my throat had Liverpool not just won the Champions League.

Re. Turkey, I’ve only ever been to Istanbul. Spent a week there in 2005. Fantastic city, plenty to see and do, nice food. However, a waiter called my wife “a lager lout” as we walked past a restaurant. I bought a Fenerbahçe shirt. I was wearing it one night when some fella approached me, opened his jacket and showed me a massive knife and said he would have cut my throat had Liverpool not just won the Champions League.

You need a bit of that.

• Upvote 9

Just as well we won the cup, because you would have been a bit disappointed by that.

• Upvote 4

The USA, all of the rich gulf states (and most of the poor ones, but I guess they're more obvious), Brazil, Turkey, Australia, Paris, Milan, Madrid, anywhere on the South East coast of Spain between Benidorm and Gibraltar (with the exception of Almeria), South Africa, Jamaica.

Captain Kurdseye. here.

• Upvote 1

India.

The pictures look nice enough but inreckon everywhere would stink of cow shit

It doesn't. It has its problems and parts you don't want to venture into but overall it is a fantastic place to visit. Best not to go between March and October as it is absolutely sweltering.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to defend USA, I think it has an unfortunate representation from TV with loud brash obnoxious types being heard above all else. Vegas wasn't really my sort of place but it's still pretty hard not to have fun in but San Francisco was absolutely lovely. The people were all great and very polite, enthusiastic and interested in You. The 2 cities I was in couldn't have been more different and the rest has a lot to offer. I wasn't very interested in the States before I went but would like to go again some day.

As for Chernobyl you can organise a day tour from Kyiv for less than $150, a friend did it after my wedding and loved it

• Upvote 4

I'm going to defend USA, I think it has an unfortunate representation from TV with loud brash obnoxious types being heard above all else. Vegas wasn't really my sort of place but it's still pretty hard not to have fun in but San Francisco was absolutely lovely. The people were all great and very polite, enthusiastic and interested in You. The 2 cities I was in couldn't have been more different and the rest has a lot to offer. I wasn't very interested in the States before I went but would like to go again some day.

I think my reluctance is due to every single American I've ever met. I've actually started to fear meeting them.

I realise it's fucking terrible.

As for Chernobyl you can organise a day tour from Kyiv for less than $150, a friend did it after my wedding and loved it

I agree there,i was in both just before the Iraq invasion and there couldn't of been more contrasting attitudes to it with Vegas all for it while San Francisco protested and took to the streets when we arrived.

Though it has to be seen, Vegas wasn't really for me, the best bit flying over the Grand Canyon which was great but San Francisco was a great place to visit so went back a year later and would love to again.

• Upvote 1