You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Places You Don't Fancy For A Holiday

Mook

Not the obvious ones like Baghdad, Chernobyl & Stoke but places you hear about people going all the time & think 'fuck that'.

For me most of Asia is out because I feel like it would be too much of a culture shock for me. Thailand for instance, I'm sure it's very beautiful in places but I just don't fancy it at all.

Also Australia is out because of the spiders, I wouldn't go near the place even if Katy Perry was accompanying me.

• Upvote 2

To be honest I've always fancied Chernobyl, or Pripyat (sp)

I don't actually like touristy places which kind of makes holidaying a challenge. For instance, always wanted to go to Rome but couldn't be arsed with all the constant touting and mithering.

Also never fancied anywhere where the authorities have got a bad rep for corruption, such as Russia and mehico

I don't actually like touristy places which kind of makes holidaying a challenge. For instance, always wanted to go to Rome but couldn't be arsed with all the constant touting and mithering.

Also never fancied anywhere where the authorities have got a bad rep for corruption, such as Russia and mehico

There is a holiday company who do mad holidays like Chernobyl, I was reading about it somewhere a few months back.

Found it, Lupine Travel...

https://www.lupinetravel.co.uk/chernobyl-holidays-and-tours.html

• Upvote 2

Never had a minutes bother in Rome, not a bit of mither and no touting. I guess somewhere like that they don't need to drum up trade, plus I stayed in a castle out in the Lazio countryside so for the majority of my stay was away from it all. Obviously once you go into Rome the sheer number if people milling about gives it away as a tourist place, but beyond that you can go about your business no bother.

Anyway for me, Portugal, I always get a shudder when friends tell me I should go there. It looks awful to me.

I got ripped off within an hour of leaving the hotel in Rome, there were also boys trying to sell us roses everywhere we went & a bloke who tried to charge me 70 euros for letting his budgie sit on my wife's shoulder. It was a fucking pain in the arse to be honest but not enough to stop me going back.

• Upvote 1

The Yoonited States of Murica.

There are some things about it that I'd love to see - the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Chess Records, etc. - and I'd love to find out if decent food and booze is available.  But the weirdness of the place - the all-pervasive racism; the attachment to guns; the overt, ostentatious patriotism; the distaste for healthcare; the anti-scientific, heretical fundamentalist Christians; the psychological disconnect caused by being the "land of opportunity" and the "sweet land of liberty" which was built on slavery and genocide; etc. - would just make the whole experience too unsettling for me.

I'm a bit concerned that my brother and his family are choosing to go to Turkey in July, given everything that is going on over there.

Depends where you go, I suppose.  My brother-in-law and his wife and kid are just back and they had a great time.

The tourist areas are probably safe as houses.  Having said that, it's earning a place on my list of places I'd like to go (like Egypt or Israel) but which I couldn't stomach the thought of paying to support a horrible regime.

I got ripped off within an hour of leaving the hotel in Rome, there were also boys trying to sell us roses everywhere we went & a bloke who tried to charge me 70 euros for letting his budgie sit on my wife's shoulder. It was a fucking pain in the arse to be honest but not enough to stop me going back.

Isn't that part of a law they have that if you take their photo they can charge whatever they want for the rights?  I've heard tales of people getting stung with similar having taken a photo with someone in full Gladiator costume at the Colosseum and being charged hundreds for it 

The Amazon rainforest and surrounding tourism spots like Iguazu Falls and Machu Picchu. Granted they look spectacular but all the insects, spiders, snakes and other shite can make your time miserable. These things tend to be organised as group tours and there's bound to be at least one person running around screaming at everything like Kate Capshaw in Temple Of Doom.

The Yoonited States of Murica.

There are some things about it that I'd love to see - the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Chess Records, etc. - and I'd love to find out if decent food and booze is available.  But the weirdness of the place - the all-pervasive racism; the attachment to guns; the overt, ostentatious patriotism; the distaste for healthcare; the anti-scientific, heretical fundamentalist Christians; the psychological disconnect caused by being the "land of opportunity" and the "sweet land of liberty" which was built on slavery and genocide; etc. - would just make the whole experience too unsettling for me.

e88j68.gif

• Upvote 1

Isn't that part of a law they have that if you take their photo they can charge whatever they want for the rights?  I've heard tales of people getting stung with similar having taken a photo with someone in full Gladiator costume at the Colosseum and being charged hundreds for it 

Telling them to 'fuck off' quite loudly seemed to do the trick.

There is a holiday company who do mad holidays like Chernobyl, I was reading about it somewhere a few months back.

Found it, Lupine Travel...

https://www.lupinetravel.co.uk/chernobyl-holidays-and-tours.html

That's my mates company. He was in El Salvador meeting MS13 members the other week, researching a new trip. Took Damon Albarn to North Korea a few years ago too.

• Upvote 1

Dubai. Can't understand why anybody would want to go there.

Dubai is ace. I've been twice and both teams were brilliant. Great food, beaches, bars, buildings, plenty to do, yacht parties, music festivals, shopping, desert sunset Safaris.

Just don't walk about with your wang out and you'll probably be fine.

Hope this is not some Scottish euphemism i never heard before. 

• Upvote 3

Not the obvious ones like Baghdad, Chernobyl & Stoke but places you hear about people going all the time & think 'fuck that'.

For me most of Asia is out because I feel like it would be too much of a culture shock for me. Thailand for instance, I'm sure it's very beautiful in places but I just don't fancy it at all.

Also Australia is out because of the spiders, I wouldn't go near the place even if Katy Perry was accompanying me.

I went to thailand last year and it was amazing. I’m defo going again but I’ll be swerving Bangkok as it is seedy and pretty dirty.

Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta are fantastic and some of the nicest places I’ve ever been and the locals were amongst the friendliest. Basically, if you stick to the islands, you can’t go wrong.

My bird was talking about Brazil but I’m convinced we will get shot within an hour of landing. I countered with Peru to do the Machu Picchu trail but she said no, the bitch.

• Upvote 2

Anywhere that is dead hot during the summer months. I hate sitting on the beach or around swimming pools. I need to be up and about, doing stuff. Lazing about is boring.

I hate sitting on a beach or around a pool. We went to Cyprus a few years back and that’s all she wanted to do and there was fuck all around us. I was bored shitless and used to take myself off to explore. Found a boss little museum attached to our hotel about about the resistance fighters trying to get rid of the British. It had the first boat used in the resistance inside it and loads of the guns and explosives used during the fight. I was like a pig in shit.

• Upvote 1