You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Places You Don't Fancy For A Holiday

Mook

The Caribbean.  It seems a long way to go for a beach holiday. 

I went in February and it's amazing. 

I'm gonna defend the states too. Had never any urge to go there until i did route 66 a few years ago. I loved it so much and went back to travel the west coast the year after. You never see any of the shit you think you would and the people are very friendly. I would move to the west coast in a heartbeat. 

A fella in my work goes to the exact same place in Greece called Sidari every year and has done for about 15 years. The gaff he stays in looks like one of those shit motels in America with a small pool next to it.

I've been to some pretty random places and always try to take the positive out of most trips. I wouldn't ever go back to Sri Lanka because it's a very long flight. Luckily I stayed in a very nice hotel but I went on a day trip and we had to pick up a lot of people from random shite hotels. One was next to a railway track covered in tons of rubbish and a place you couldn't just wander off from. Got home and saw these places advertised in the papers as 4 star hotels. My idea of hell would be to go on a 12 hour flight and end up in one of these dumps for 2 weeks. You'd be gutted.

I don't see the appeal of Benidorm as an actual holiday destination but I'd go if it was one of my mates stag weekends. Three girls in my work rave off the place and go about 5 times a year. The money they spend on it they could go somewhere a lot better.

Puerta del Carmen in Lanzarote is shite. Went there in December on a day trip from Costa Teguise. Basically like Blackpool in the sun and looks tired and run down. Another one of my coworkers has been there about 10 times on the run and won't go anywhere else. Lanzarote is quite boring on the whole and expensive to eat there unless it's English breakfasts.

Basic list of countries / places to be avoided given to the wife when she’s researching the annual week of misery that is to be endured with 2 kids under 5.

Anywhere the name of the country ends in ‘istan’

Anywhere you can’t flush the toilet paper down the bog

Anywhere the kids will probably die if they have ice in their drinks

Anywhere we would be getting persued by people through market places demanding we buy rugs or leather jackets from them.

Greece. Unfortunately the last time we went it was full of Russians and they lived down to everything I’d heard.

Russia.

Egypt

Turkey

India

Anywhere Nordic - I’m not tight but the prices there are so horrific I wouldn’t be able to enjoy myself and would constantly be on edge.

• Upvote 1

It's very revealing this thread, how can you be certain you wouldn't like somewhere you've never been? And to write off a whole nation based on very limited information is mad. There are so many ways to enjoying a trip and sometimes it's worth challenging your preconceptions and going somewhere that doesn't appeal.

To answer to the question, sterile resort type places seem a bit boring to me and I imagine UAE to be a bit like that but when lots of people love it they must have plenty of reasons so perhaps I'm talking absolute wham.

I love going somewhere I'm ignorant as fuck about and discovering things that I had no idea about, be it food, scenery, people, activities and/or sites. I went to Ukraine with a Dutch guy I'd known for a couple days from a hostel and ended up meeting my wife there (not him) with the sum of my Ukrainian knowledge being about the Klitschko brothers, Shevch*nko and Chernobyl. One of the best trips I've ever had was hiring a 50 year old motorbike I couldn't drive and touring through remote Vietnamese countryside.

I've also discovered that in places where the very poorest people live you will find the most hospitable.

• Upvote 1

Another for Dubai. You couldn't pay me to go. Add Marbella to that, I imagine it to be full of dickheads from this country.

Adding Benalmadena. And reinforcing Gibraltar, its a fucking dump with loads of weird people. And you are correct about Marbella in certain parts!

Marbella depends where you go I guess, and by that I guess I mean anywhere where the Spanish locals go is usually safe. Old town is okay, and Estepona down the road from there is nice. Anywhere where the English pissheads arent really...

Banus is full of bad fucking melts with shit halfie jeans, gay loafers with no socks and blazers. Bars charge 8 euro for a bottle of Heineken which if you go the petrol station - you can buy 8 bottles of for 6 euros. Crackers.

Weird reading people posting on faceaids about going on holiday there and going way over the top about it, its shit.

I think my reluctance is due to every single American I've ever met. I've actually started to fear meeting them.

I realise it's fucking terrible.

Didn't you used to live in the US, or have I confused you with someone else?

If you did, how did you manage to meet only the fear instilling ones? I met loads and most were OK.

I haven't mate, to be honest I've not really ventured around the country as much as I probably should have, would you recommend it?

It seems the only sizeable place on that coastline that is largely unspoilt. Apparently (only been once) because you often have to walk for a 1km to the beaches (and therefore there aren't shitloads of English/Germans/Russians camped in cunt bars two metres from the beach).

Obviously, if you go the other side of Gibraltar there are loads of places near (or technically in) Huelva and Cadiz that are ace anyway. Tarifa, Bolonia, Chiclana, Chipiona, etc.

Where in Spain are you?

My Mrs had never been to the Costa Del Sol until last year and she hated it. I went about 20 years ago and from her photos it basically looks exactly the same as when I went. The hotels don't look like they've been updated and she said most of the bars were run down. It was mainly full of people in their late 50s and 60s who just want to drink constantly all day until they keel over. Yet they act like they are having more of an amazing time than anyone.

I always get the feeling that the Spanish in most resorts absolutely detest the English. At least when you go to Turkey they like the British, mainly because they hate Russians more.

Africa.

All of it, pretty much.

We went to Ghana for a wedding a few years ago. It's beautiful, but they fucking despise white people out there. It's drummed into them at an early age that all white people are slave-driving, murdering rapists. The family we stayed with were fantastic, but yer man in the street clearly had a chip on their shoulders when they saw us out and about in the shitholes they call bars there. We had to be effectively chaperoned by some 'fixers' when we went out. Many bar staff and servers made no bones about not even bothering to give us our change when we paid for stuff. Fuck that. 

We got mithered to distraction in Morocco and the food was shite in both places. Given that these countries are at the more progressive and stable end of the African experience, fuck knows what the rest is like. I shan't bother finding out either.

• Upvote 2

The North Pole and Antarctica. The middle east and the bits all around it, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, North America, most of Asia, loads of the USSR and that one next to it. The Balkans, The Bermuda Triangle, Northern Europe, South Americas, that one where they eat dogs, Grantham, London and the Wales.

I think there's more if am honest.