You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Things that the internet has ruined

Mook

BBC News.

It used to be bang-on: "This quite alarming event has occurred. Here are the facts.... Some people are understandably angry/ upset, others are more sanguine about the whole thing. But lets stick to what we know. And now, football results and the weather". Now, it seems no news story is complete without us being told just how upset some gobshites on twitter are about the whole thing. To the point that the coverage of the reaction is as relevant as the event. It isn't. 

And then there's the stories which are purely about what some middle-class 'social media influencer' cretins think about an utterly inconsequential event. Not o mention endless spin-off articles that tell you nothing at all new or of interest. Leave the gossip to the rags and the clickbait sites and concentrate your energies on delivering quality journalism.

• Upvote 3

Effort. Particularly in a romantic sense.

When I was single, if I wanted a date at the weekend I had to get off my arse and take the plunge chatting someone up. I wasnt given a menu where i could choose to "swipe" or not. I even had to ring their house phone for a second date and risk their Mum or Dad picking the phone up!

In a different way, everything is so accesible that it takes away the sentiment. A young lady who I work with has been with this guy for about 6 months-madly in love etc. They must have exhausted amazon etc for every personilsed gift you can think of, all at the click of a keyboard. They buy each other things for birthdays/Christmas etc in one lunch hour.

I used to have to traipse around the shopping centres in the rain trying to buy something thoughtful for the future Mrs Daved ........

Now Im off on one...

396fc3be1b652f19810ef745328dae34.jpg

This. Don't know they're born this lot with their tinder and plenty of fish and grinder and whatever fucking else. I'd kill to be young and single now with the technology they've got available to them.

• Upvote 1

Effort. Particularly in a romantic sense.

When I was single, if I wanted a date at the weekend I had to get off my arse and take the plunge chatting someone up. I wasnt given a menu where i could choose to "swipe" or not. I even had to ring their house phone for a second date and risk their Mum or Dad picking the phone up!

In a different way, everything is so accesible that it takes away the sentiment. A young lady who I work with has been with this guy for about 6 months-madly in love etc. They must have exhausted amazon etc for every personilsed gift you can think of, all at the click of a keyboard. They buy each other things for birthdays/Christmas etc in one lunch hour.

I used to have to traipse around the shopping centres in the rain trying to buy something thoughtful for the future Mrs Daved ........ 

Now Im off on one...

396fc3be1b652f19810ef745328dae34.jpg

This. Don't know they're born this lot with their tinder and plenty of fish and grinder and whatever fucking else. I'd kill to be young and single now with the technology they've got available to them.

I have to disagree with this, internet dating is shite. Bunch of lying, entitled, shallow and unstable cunts on offer in my experience - the old way is infinitely more preferable.

BBC News.

It used to be bang-on: "This quite alarming event has occurred. Here are the facts.... Some people are understandably angry/ upset, others are more sanguine about the whole thing. But lets stick to what we know. And now, football results and the weather". Now, it seems no news story is complete without us being told just how upset some gobshites on twitter are about the whole thing. To the point that the coverage of the reaction is as relevant as the event. It isn't. 

And then there's the stories which are purely about what some middle-class 'social media influencer' cretins think about an utterly inconsequential event. Not o mention endless spin-off articles that tell you nothing at all new or of interest. Leave the gossip to the rags and the clickbait sites and concentrate your energies on delivering quality journalism.

True but I think that's down more to the advent of breakfast TV which soon morphed into the appalling daytime TV.

I have to disagree with this, internet dating is shite. Bunch of lying, entitled, shallow and unstable cunts on offer in my experience - the old way is infinitely more preferable.

Her indoor's horrible little niece and her dickhead boyfriend met through internet dating. Worked well for them, they were at the National TV Awards last night.

Jeez....

BBC News.

There's a scene from the show The Newsroom which pretty much hits the nail on the head. The news channel has recently been bought by some yuppie-type who wants it to become more clickbait-y rather than detailed and informed discussion. He hires a bunch of cunts to handle the channel's social media platform, which they duly fill with shite. The character who was previously looking after the social media stuff returns from having been detained overseas, and rips into the new guys for turning something he'd strived to build into a useful news tool despite a lack of support into clickbait shite.

Not directly the Internets fault but more to do with phone technology is the slow destruction of language as text talk becomes more and more of an influence.

I don't recognise that one. What kinds of things have you got in mind?

I don't recognise that one. What kinds of things have you got in mind?

People saying 'LOL' & 'Hashtag' for starters.

I hear some kids speaking now & wonder what they're on about, it's probably always been that way but it seems to be moving a lot faster now.

I found that description fitted most of the women I old school chatted up anyway!

I do envy them a little, imagine on those Sundays back in the day when the hangover wore off, to have the option to literally arrange a date while taking a shit if you want.....Id have been out every night with a whole host of mingers no doubt that were meant to look like Pamela Anderson

But Rem, for sheer ease of obtaining hard sex surely the new way can't be beaten.

Anyway, trying to apply old school dating techniques to the youth of today would be a waste of time, the vapid twats.

Youtube destroying the music industry (and the careers of the vast majority of aspiring musicians) by releasing every song on it's platform for free, and thereby devaluing music for the masses. Not just in terms of the time or money put into the music by the musicians themselves but the actual value of music in a persons life.

• Upvote 2

Youtube destroying the music industry (and the careers of the vast majority of aspiring musicians) by releasing every song on it's platform for free, and thereby devaluing music for the masses.

The internet has pretty much fucked music in every conceivable way other than the fact that we can still listen to it.

I mentioned Record Fairs in my initial post but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• Upvote 2

The internet has pretty much fucked music in every conceivable way other than the fact that we can still listen to it.

I mentioned Record Fairs in my initial post but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Bang on. I reluctantly succumbed to Spotify several years ago and still feel bad when I see boxes of CDs and Vinyl gathering dust

They were on the decline long before the internet. Fist sign of council budgets being cut and libraries were first to go.

True. However, some libraries went from places to read and study, to gloried internet cafes. Full of people, who'd previously never set foot in libraries, pissing about playing games and arsing about on social media.