You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton(h) PL- Match Thread

LFC 6 Times

Just read this

In doing so Salah, signed from Roma for a club-record fee in June, notched the ninth goal from his first 12 Premier League appearances on Merseyside, surpassing Liverpool's previous best of eight from 12 set by Fowler in 1993.

The result our domination deserved. A big reason for that, other than our pace out wide, was the fact that we looked to play with tempo against yet another side who were simply looking to keep things tight and maybe nick something from a counter or set-piece. So often, we haven't got that tempo going and it makes games like this a real slog. OK, we didn't exactly carve them apart in that first half an hour, but we were looking fluid and mobile,and Southampton simply couldn't get up the pitch.

Salah is dynamite. Inside the penalty area, he's got a striker's instincts and that's why so many chances are falling to him. He's not quite as clinical as the very best strikers (he still tends to miss the first good chance he gets) but he doesn't dwell on what could have been - he just gets on with it and continues to be a nuisance. His first goal was a peach of a hit after Firmino had done well to dispossess Tadic on the edge of the area, and his second was the above-mentioned striker's instinct coming to the fore. Great pass by Coutinho and deft finish by the Egyptian.

In the second half, we got into dangerous areas repeatedly but only managed the one goal - Coutinho knocking in the rebound after Forster had saved a Firmino effort. Steve McMahon would have been impressed with Wijnaldum because he kept making the sort of 3rd man runs Macca talked about in his interview with Dave.

The full backs weren't troubled defensively, and the two centre backs had a comfortable afternoon. A couple of last ditch blocks by Lovren, and no troubles at all for Klavan made this a comfortable win all round.

About time we thrashed Southampton at Anfield. SInce they returned to the Premier League, we've had difficulty in beating them at home. The away record isn't brilliant but we've had far more comprehensive wins at their place in the last few years.

Lastly, a word on Shane Long. All the the gum-chewing Hollyoaks-extra-looking cunt seems to be picked for is to run the channels and try to win cheap free kicks. Looking to score goals appears to be at the bottom of his list of priorities, and for a striker it's a waste of a shirt. He could be in the penalty box with an open goal but instead of trying to score, he'll try and slow down just so a defender bundles into him accidentally and his team gets a penalty. Still, he's better than 1-goal-a-season Alehouse VIc, but that's nothing to crow about.

Next up is a trip to Seville.

• Upvote 2

Sometimes I love being wrong.

I know they weren't really tested, but I thought Lovren, in particular, looked confident and competent. Didn't have much to do, but what he did he did right.

He needs games like this after that Spurs nightmare.

Was'nt really picking on your post , but i left the thread open when i sat down to watch the match, so it was the first thing i saw when i came back on.....

Anyway.. up the Reds

Good result, 3 goals, 2 beauties for Salah and 1 for Coutinho. Eejit next to me keeps calling him cortinoh like he is a Ford or something. Nice to keep a clean sheet with TAA, Moreno, Klavan and Lovren all having good games. Lovren seems to concentrate more against Southampton, is it because of the boos they give him? Nice to see Jurgen take players off once we went 3 up. Mignolet looked like he should be working on a motorway or the bins with that outfit.