You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I think if we'd signed Van Dijk and Lemar with the Coutinho money not many people would be complaining about them. It's always a feeling of we could have done a bit more which is the frustration from a lot of our fans.

Im still convinced that the VVD leak wasn't from the top. I believe it was from someone on the playing staff.

Lovren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With FSG. Thing is the people who defend them always want to shift the narrative onto this argument that people are claiming they are parasites bleeding the club dry.

To be fair some are. But a lot of people are just bemoaning their mistakes which have been prevalent ever since they took over.

They've been fantastic on a commercial level but on a football level they've been sub par. Thats a fact as we have not been any way shape or form succesful.

This often boils down to bad decisions and an unwillingness to go the extra mile in terms of spending.

Klopp has been a good decision and it seems possible they've begun to accept they need to spend a bit more it they want to win stuff. But the jury is still out to a degree. Basically only time well tell over the next year or two.

But surely there will come point where people will have to accept it isn't working if say 3 years from now we've still won fuck all.

• Upvote 2

Much of our frustration as supporters of this club stems for the fact we haven't got on the league in 27 years. This is not FSGs fault, in fact they are trying to remedy this fact.

Provide evidence that they are trying to remedy this fact Walter dear boy. I personally do not see the same level of ambition shown towards the pursuit of the league as there has been shown in their pursuit to enrich themselves via sponsorship deals. 

If none of these deals results in more pulling power for the manager and the team in terms of wages offered and transfer fees paid, then what good does it do us to have them? If all this money is to be taken when they depart in the form of 750m worth of profit, then how do these shiny sponsorship agreements benefit us as supporters whose only aim is to see our team filled with top class players and winning things?

• Upvote 1

Provide evidence that they are trying to remedy this fact Walter dear boy. I personally do not see the same level of ambition shown towards the pursuit of the league as there has been shown in their pursuit to enrich themselves via sponsorship deals.

If none of these deals results in more pulling power for the manager and the team in terms of wages offered and transfer fees paid, then what good does it do us to have them? If all this money is to be taken when they depart in the form of 750m worth of profit, then how do these shiny sponsorship agreements benefit us as supporters whose only aim is to see our team filled with top class players and winning things?

Employing Klopp

• Upvote 2

That's like giving Ayrton Senna a Yugo. They flatter to deceive and I don't buy it for a second. Their stated aim was to win the title. I call bullshit, and I call it based on their spend. This window was another marker of their ambition. 

Exactly.  Judge them on their actions, when it comes to footballing ambition, and you can see that they haven't a care in the world about challenging for the title.

We're being outspent by, basically, most clubs... but somehow they're 'wanting to win a title'? Please.

"Oh, they were willing to spend 70m on Keita, VVD, and 80m on Lemar".  Well, how many of them are going to be suiting up for us in the next month?

"Well, Southampton wouldn't sell, and RBL wouldn't sell... and and we couldn't complete Lemar"   Arsenal had a bid accepted, and apparently we had personal terms accepted.  Bid what Arsenal did, and Bob is your mother's brother.

Let's just look at what they've done since Klopp has arrived.  They've spent, in total, about 40m.  That's it.  Everton have spent more this summer, than we've spent in the last 3 years.  Consider that.

• Upvote 4

Exactly. Judge them on their actions, when it comes to footballing ambition, and you can see that they haven't a care in the world about challenging for the title.

We're being outspent by, basically, most clubs... but somehow they're 'wanting to win a title'? Please.

"Oh, they were willing to spend 70m on Keita, VVD, and 80m on Lemar". Well, how many of them are going to be suiting up for us in the next month?

"Well, Southampton wouldn't sell, and RBL wouldn't sell... and and we couldn't complete Lemar" Arsenal had a bid accepted, and apparently we had personal terms accepted. Bid what Arsenal did, and Bob is your mother's brother.

Let's just look at what they've done since Klopp has arrived. They've spent, in total, about 40m. That's it. Everton have spent more this summer, than we've spent in the last 3 years. Consider that.

Yea but they haven't took a penny out of the club apparently.
  • Upvote 2

They haven't.

They've left it in the club accounts to increase the size of their asset in order to be get maximum value when they sell up.

Frankly I don't see the issue with that, They are not asset striping and making sure the club is financially sound even if they do sell on.  

Frankly I don't see the issue with that, They are not asset striping and making sure the club is financially sound even if they do sell on.

There's pros and cons to spending and not. As it stands, we were so close to administration under the cowboys that, for me, the clubs current financial wellbeing actually trumps spending at this point. Unless it deteriorates the quality of the squad, which is arguably not happening with the exception of centre half.

• Upvote 1

Two attacking midfielders and a winger ?

Actually two wingers and an attacking midfielder.

I said we would talk two of them up never said we would sign them. We may even monitor them aggressively.

It is blatantly obvious we need Centre Backs and a keeper and have done for seasons now but we seem to be waiting for Soton to cave in on VVD.

Another winger would be fine by me, good cover for Mane and Salah.

Actually two wingers and an attacking midfielder.

I said we would talk two of them up never said we would sign them. We may even monitor them aggressively.

It is blatantly obvious we need Centre Backs and a keeper and have done for seasons now but we seem to be waiting for Soton to cave in on VVD.

Another winger would be fine by me, good cover for Mane and Salah.

Mor can play AM and I knew what you meant mate, our usual patter in transfer parley.

Just wondering why they were mentioned to replace a CM but to be fair strengthening are strengths seems to be our stregnth, strengthening our weaknesses is the problem. Rep,acing Can with a winger would not surprise me as Keita is coming.

Mor can play AM and I knew what you meant mate, our usual patter in transfer parley.

Just wondering why they were mentioned to replace a CM but to be fair strengthening are strengths seems to be our stregnth, strengthening our weaknesses is the problem. Rep,acing Can with a winger would not surprise me as Keita is coming.

Ah cool mate no worries. I was being a bit of a smart arse which you picked up on (replacing a CM with a winger) which we have prior for.

I think Mor, Coric and Brandt could play anywhere across the front five positions for me they have that much talent. That suits Klopp's heavy metal football of attack from all angles with interchanging players at pace.

Keita also suits that style and has it all in the locker and potentially Grujic if he can kick on as his back up.

If you look at our midfield stocks Can is probably off, Lallana has an injury cloud over him, Coutinho I think is gone in the summer, Henderson has heel issues, Jimmy Milner hasn't got too long left, Grujic needs more game time which he might get if Can leaves, Wijnaldum needs to step up and Oxlade-Chamberlain becomes the utility squad player.

But yeh we are desperate for 2 CBs and a keeper. The Liverpool Way! Haha!

Ah cool mate no worries. I was being a bit of a smart arse which you picked up on (replacing a CM with a winger) which we have prior for.

I think Mor, Coric and Brandt could play anywhere across the front five positions for me they have that much talent. That suits Klopp's heavy metal football of attack from all angles with interchanging players at pace.

Keita also suits that style and has it all in the locker and potentially Grujic if he can kick on as his back up.

If you look at our midfield stocks Can is probably off, Lallana has an injury cloud over him, Coutinho I think is gone in the summer, Henderson has heel issues, Jimmy Milner hasn't got too long left, Grujic needs more game time which he might get if Can leaves, Wijnaldum needs to step up and Oxlade-Chamberlain becomes the utility squad player.

But yeh we are desperate for 2 CBs and a keeper. The Liverpool Way! Haha!

We will be talking cb's soon enough and keepers, it's a recurring theme.

• Upvote 1