You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

The players don’t see them as pointless, though, do they? They want to play for their country as many times as possible.

I get that. When you compare a fixture with essentially nothing to play for but World Ranking points (pfft!) and bragging rights, it is significantly less important than what we have to play for over the next 10 weeks.

VVD has played virtually every minute of our campaign this season, virtually 2 games a week since August. He’s also done the same when called upon by Netherlands, including against the might of Gibraltar (6-0), a 10 man Turkey (6-1) and now these 2 friendlies.

• 1 month later...

At the start of the season, he was merely back as one of the best defenders in the world.

He’s now back in the form of being one of the best centre backs of all time.

Absolutely flawless in 2022.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

At the start of the season, he was merely back as one of the best defenders in the world.

We'd started a list there, you've ruined it 

On 01/05/2022 at 12:38, Scott_M said:

I don’t agree. I think he’s still understandably a bit off from the form we saw in 18-20, I expect it will be another 6 months before he’s all the way back. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

As good as this season has been and could go on to be.  His penalty against Kepa is right up there as one of the best moments of it.  The finish, the look of distain, the strutt.  

I think I want him as much as my woman does.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Grinch said:

As good as this season has been and could go on to be.  His penalty against Kepa is right up there as one of the best moments of it.  The finish, the look of distain, the strutt.  

I think I want him as much as my woman does.  

Yeah, that pen was fucking mental. Especially as kepa was there as some sort of penalty super human and made a complete tit if himself in the process. 

• Upvote 1

With all the talk being focused on Fabinho's and Thiago's fitness before the final, anyone else concerned that Virgil's injury might be a bit more of an issue than stated?

Salah obviously fit enough to come on when we needed a goal against Wolves, although not in ideal shape to play the full game. Virgil unused sub. Anyone seen enough of the training sessions to comment on his availability?

Would be just typical with everyone discussing who should partner VvD in the final if Matip and Konate were both lining up in Paris.

44 minutes ago, lebron said:

With all the talk being focused on Fabinho's and Thiago's fitness before the final, anyone else concerned that Virgil's injury might be a bit more of an issue than stated?

Salah obviously fit enough to come on when we needed a goal against Wolves, although not in ideal shape to play the full game. Virgil unused sub. Anyone seen enough of the training sessions to comment on his availability?

Would be just typical with everyone discussing who should partner VvD in the final if Matip and Konate were both lining up in Paris.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/virgil-van-dijk-fully-fit-champions-league-final