You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Methods Getting Stick Again...

an tha

Klopp doesnt hand out contracts to anyone.

Are you going to be pedantic about it?

Rodgers didn't buy any of the players either then and the league challenge was all down to Suarez so really he should be getting the blame for not winning the league.

Come on Jimmy.

• Upvote 1

I'm sick of the culture of excuses, because 99% of the time it seems like not matching the opposition for effort is our biggest problem. There is no excuse for that.

We make winning the title sound implausible, almost impossible. It's not impossible, it's just really hard work and confidence.

It's by no means clear that he has had no funds to spend.  He tells us that money was available, but he couldn't get the players he wanted.  Let's see what happens in the summer. 

The owners don't spend what it takes to bring in the players the manager wants. End of story. Last January Ayre went to Russia to sign Alex Teixeira. Klopp wanted the player to play alongside Firmino and Coutinho. What happens? We arse around with £20m offers and the player ends up going for £40m. 

If you look at all our botched deals, for years, it's exactly the same story - scouts identify player that'll improve us, Ayre (under the direction of the owners) lowballs with offers until we end up losing the player. Rinse and repeat.

It happened this summer with Raphael Guerreiro when the president of Lorient came out and said we'd offered a derisory amount. It happened when we verbally agreed a deal for Alli with MK Dons and then tried to haggle for half the amount. 

If you can't see this is what's killing us then i don't know what to say. But i know that a bench consisting of Ejaria, Woodburn, Trent Alexander Arnold and Origi is not the managers fault.

• Upvote 2

The owners don't spend what it takes to bring in the players the manager wants. End of story. Last January Ayre went to Russia to sign Alex Teixeira. Klopp wanted the player to play alongside Firmino and Coutinho. What happens? We arse around with £20m offers and the player ends up going for £40m. 

If you look at all our botched deals, for years, it's exactly the same story - scouts identify player that'll improve us, Ayre (under the direction of the owners) lowballs with offers until we end up losing the player. Rinse and repeat.

It happened this summer with Raphael Guerreiro when the president of Lorient came out and said we'd offered a derisory amount. It happened when we verbally agreed a deal for Alli with MK Dons and then tried to haggle for half the amount. 

If you can't see this is what's killing us then i don't know what to say. But i know that a bench consisting of Ejaria, Woodburn, Trent Alexander Arnold and Origi is not the managers fault.

I wholeheartedly agree with your last point.  I don't think our first eleven is good enough either, which is why I thought we'd finish 6th or 7th this season.    I don't believe that we are unable to buy the players Klopp wants because we continually lowball.  That's where we don't quite see (hush hush) eye to eye.

• Upvote 1

I wholeheartedly agree with your last point.  I don't think our first eleven is good enough either, which is why I thought we'd finish 6th or 7th this season.    I don't believe that we are unable to buy the players Klopp wants because we continually lowball.  That's where we don't quite see (hush hush) eye to eye.

No worries Stringy. i'd like to hear your opinion on it. Why do you think we are unable to buy the players Klopp wants?

No worries Stringy. i'd like to hear your opinion on it. Why do you think we are unable to buy the players Klopp wants?

I think I might have already posted something similar to this earlier in the thread, so apologies of I'm even more boring than usual.  I think it's a combination of things - not sure he's punted for that many, as he may have thought he knock a few of the players already here into shape.  I think we will struggle to bring in players that want to be in an immediately successful team, so any big hitters, or players who are in demand, are likely to get tempted away by more successful clubs.  Then Klopp himself appears to be a little parsimonious - he won't agree to pay more than he and/or the club think the player is worth.  There may be some truth in the stories that we've outsmarted ourselves in a bidding war, but I don't believe that's the case every time.  

• Upvote 1

You're talking like 40 million was representative of his true value and we were pissing around with 20 million bids as a gimmick.

I don't thinks you can use bids from Chinese clubs as representative of a players value elsewhere if China wasn't involved and the battle was between a Spanish and Italian club the price would have been lower.

If people were honest nobody would have been happy with that signing for anywhere close to what the Chinese club paid.

There may be some truth in the stories that we've outsmarted ourselves in a bidding war, but I don't believe that's the case every time.  

I think you'd struggle to name a club who hasn't, on more than one occasion, it seems like we do it more only because we pay more attention to what we're doing than other clubs.

Are you going to be pedantic about it?

Rodgers didn't buy any of the players either then and the league challenge was all down to Suarez so really he should be getting the blame for not winning the league.

Come on Jimmy.

It's not a question of being pedantic. The club has moved to the model he's familiar with at Dortmund. Not long ago, people were bitching about Ayre doing the deals and fucking them up etc. So you're now saying that's all out the window and its all Klopp's bidding now?

The club is offering new contracts to players to protect themselves against the players leaving on the cheap. Do you think Klopp decided to give Coutinho a new deal because of Barcelona's supposed interest or do you think that was a club decision?

Do you think Klopp gave lallana a new deal because he thought he'd been outstanding (I use the term loosely!) or do you think the club gave it him because of the rumours about spurs and or PSG?

Klopp is undoubtedly in the loop but dont tell me the club isnt looking after its 'assets' either.

I think I might have already posted something similar to this earlier in the thread, so apologies of I'm even more boring than usual.  I think it's a combination of things - not sure he's punted for that many, as he may have thought he knock a few of the players already here into shape.  I think we will struggle to bring in players that want to be in an immediately successful team, so any big hitters, or players who are in demand, are likely to get tempted away by more successful clubs.  Then Klopp himself appears to be a little parsimonious - he won't agree to pay more than he and/or the club think the player is worth.  There may be some truth in the stories that we've outsmarted ourselves in a bidding war, but I don't believe that's the case every time.  

Klopp seems to be an all or nothing kind of person. He's all in on specific players and if they're not available he'll make do with what he has. Rodgers was the opposite. He didn't have a problem moving further down the list of targets and signing 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice if needs be.

What does worry me is how Klopp's attitude pairs with the owners. On one hand you've got a manager that would rather sign no-one than sign a player further down his list of targets and on the other you've got a set of owners that have such a risk averse strategy to spending money that they're terrified of paying over the odds for a player. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Someone's got to budge. Either the owners accept the type of manager they have and go all in on the player the manager wants, or Klopp ends up signing players by committee. I personally think the former needs to happen.

• Upvote 2

I'd like to see the club move away from briefing journalists on the daily progress of every potential transfer that we're involved in. There doesn't seem to be any strategy or advantage to this approach whatsoever.

I'm not quite as tuned into the workings of other clubs in this regard, but we certainly seem to be unique in providing a running commentary on everything we do.

• Upvote 1

It's not a question of being pedantic. The club has moved to the model he's familiar with at Dortmund. Not long ago, people were bitching about Ayre doing the deals and fucking them up etc. So you're now saying that's all out the window and its all Klopp's bidding now?

The club is offering new contracts to players to protect themselves against the players leaving on the cheap. Do you think Klopp decided to give Coutinho a new deal because of Barcelona's supposed interest or do you think that was a club decision?

Do you think Klopp gave lallana a new deal because he thought he'd been outstanding (I use the term loosely!) or do you think the club gave it him because of the rumours about spurs and or PSG?

Klopp is undoubtedly in the loop but dont tell me the club isnt looking after its 'assets' either.

You're saying it's primarily the club re signing players then you're calling Klopp a liar because he says he's in charge of football operations.

100% he wants Lallana. He'd leave his wife for him.

You're saying it's primarily the club re signing players then you're calling Klopp a liar because he says he's in charge of football operations.

100% he wants Lallana. He'd leave his wife for him.

Now who's being pedantic? In fact, what you've put is just fucking shameful.

Nope. I said Klopp is operating under a model similar to one at Dortmund where he's not the one 'handing out' contracts. He has the last word in whether we sign or dont sign a player. Or did you deliberately miss the bit where I said he's in the loop?

Money's not the problem, it's the Europa League final that killed us. Having no Europe forced us to strip the squad to the point where there's no depth and made us less attractive. Without Champions League football Klopp can't assure good players that we have a project worth joining over other top clubs. 

Something similar will happen to Marseille this summer. Their new owner just promised that they will spend 50m on a striker. The problem is that no top player will want to go there because they won't be in Europe next year and no one actually believes that Marseille will suddenly become competitive at the top of the table. It's the same with us, we can spend money, but we've been so mediocre for so long that no top player will believe he can win anything at Liverpool.

Now who's being pedantic? In fact, what you've put is just fucking shameful.

Nope. I said Klopp is operating under a model similar to one at Dortmund where he's not the one 'handing out' contracts. He has the last word in whether we sign or dont sign a player. Or did you deliberately miss the bit where I said he's in the loop?

Get over yourself ya balloon. Klopps not giving out contracts but he's involved in giving out contracts?

• Upvote 1

People losing faith in another manager 15 months or even discussing the possibility of him going is another reason why we don't deserve nice things.

Yeah, sure you were with Brendan right til the very end...

Money's not the problem, it's the Europa League final that killed us. Having no Europe forced us to strip the squad to the point where there's no depth and made us less attractive. Without Champions League football Klopp can't assure good players that we have a project worth joining over other top clubs.

Something similar will happen to Marseille this summer. Their new owner just promised that they will spend 50m on a striker. The problem is that no top player will want to go there because they won't be in Europe next year and no one actually believes that Marseille will suddenly become competitive at the top of the table. It's the same with us, we can spend money, but we've been so mediocre for so long that no top player will believe he can win anything at Liverpool.

I'm pretty sure money is part of the problem, especially when it comes to wages.

Our signings the only time we've qualified for the CL under FSG doesn't indicate we'll be joining any bidding wars for attractive players anytime soon.

FSG have allowed us to sink to mediocrity on their watch and I see no sign of change.

Get over yourself ya balloon. Klopps not giving out contracts but he's involved in giving out contracts?

Maybes you should get over yourself? If you cant fathom out what I posted and want instead to put your own pathetic spin on it to try and make yourself look clever, that's up to you.

But it doesnt make your child like attempt to twist what Ive posted to be what you want it to mean to be correct.

I'm pretty sure money is part of the problem, especially when it comes to wages.

Our signings the only time we've qualified for the CL under FSG doesn't indicate we'll be joining any bidding wars for attractive players anytime soon.

FSG have allowed us to sink to mediocrity on their watch and I see no sign of change.

Think about this: we reportedly offered almost 200k per week to an extremely down on his luck Mario Gotze. Instead of taking that incredibly generous sum and going to Liverpool to reunite with the manager who made him a star, he took a pay cut and went back to Dortmund, a place where the supporters completely turned on him.

The reason he did this was because he thought Dortmund was the more attractive footballing project and he happens to be correct.The number one thing good players still look for in a club is for a chance to win things. We don't offer that and that's why we can't compete with the biggest clubs in the transfer market. Players who are motivated by money go to China, not Chelsea, Manchester United, Real Madrid, etc...

The players who sign for those clubs do it because they know they will probably win titles there. So if we want to get the players we are after we have to achieve things, qualify for the Champions League, win cups, whatever. If we can do that, you'll see that players who are currently out of our league will magically start considering us.