You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

What's ridiculous is that his second choices have thus far been excellent, and had he trusted his gut and gone the extra mile for Zielinski last season we'd have been in a better position with the midfield. 

Like the summer of 2014, the narrative has become that there's no one capable of improving this team, no one in the whole of world football who inhabits the gaping chasm between the polar opposites of absolute dogshit and ridiculously unobtainable. Y'know, someone who might just be a bit good.

• Upvote 1

What's ridiculous is that his second choices have thus far been excellent, and had he trusted his gut and gone the extra mile for Zielinski last season we'd have been in a better position with the midfield. 

Like the summer of 2014, the narrative has become that there's no one capable of improving this team, no one in the whole of world football who inhabits the gaping chasm between the polar opposites of absolute dogshit and ridiculously unobtainable. Y'know, someone who might just be a bit good.

Wasn't Gini second choice?

Or Klopp is pig headed and stubborn, like all good managers are!

I fail to see a group of 5, only agreeing on 2 players?

If that was the case, explain Klavan and Karius?

Not sure what you mean by that? Karius had good reviews the year before he joined us. I'm sure loads rated him. As for klavan, I'd be certain at his low wages and fee, that was just given to klopp to fill the squad because klopp liked him. Klopp since last summer may have also realised it takes a bit more than he previously thought in this league. With being a good manager and all that, I'm sure he learns all the time.
  • Upvote 1

Not sure what you mean by that? Karius had good reviews the year before he joined us. I'm sure loads rated him. As for klavan, I'd be certain at his low wages and fee, that was just given to klopp to fill the squad because klopp liked him. Klopp since last summer may have also realised it takes a bit more than he previously thought in this league. With being a good manager and all that, I'm sure he learns all the time.

At risk of another onslaught - i find it very difficult to see Klopp wanting just Keita and VVD as proof of the comittee being poor. It is such a huge leap of credulity to think that they came with two players he wanted so much he will pay 140m for, and the rest not good enough!

If I suggested that about another club, you'd not believe it!

We haven't bought because Klopp wants VVD or nobody, same with Keita!

At risk of another onslaught - i find it very difficult to see Klopp wanting just Keita and VVD as proof of the comittee being poor. It is such a huge leap of credulity to think that they came with two players he wanted so much he will pay 140m for, and the rest not good enough!

If I suggested that about another club, you'd not believe it!

We haven't bought because Klopp wants VVD or nobody, same with Keita!

Why would klopp be so short sighted as seeing only 2 players in the world who can improve us? It's a obviously just wrong, there's good players all over the world. My only conclusion is it's the only 2 players who him and the spreadsheet agree on.
  • Upvote 1

Maybe he genuinely thinks there are no decent players? Have a look around the top clubs? If Coutinho is deemed the best player to trace Neymar by Barcelona, then that tells you the current poor standardsin world football.

50 mil for Kyle Walker is another example.

Klopp has since seen his midfield options depleted by injuries to Adam Lallana and wantaway Brazilian Philippe Coutinho ahead of Saturday’s Premier League opener at Watford. The manager says Liverpool are considering potential reinforcements in that department.

“We don’t have too many midfield players in the moment who have experience,” Klopp said.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-midfielder-jurgen-klopp-fsg-13465508.amp

At least we'll sign a midfielder now.

Why would klopp be so short sighted as seeing only 2 players in the world who can improve us? It's a obviously just wrong, there's good players all over the world. My only conclusion is it's the only 2 players who him and the spreadsheet agree on.

Well! Your conclusion is wrong isn't it. That make no sense. Unless you want it to.

I think you're right mate. I think Klopp has looked at the other options Edwards and his team have come up with and doesn't want any of them.

I think you're right mate. I think Klopp has looked at the other options Edwards and his team have come up with and doesn't want any of them.

He's not being balotelli'd. And we all said then "really, just him and eto'o that's the best we can do?". But this is what happens when you find players by spreadsheet. We've been fucking crap at it for years. Still I'm looking forward to markovic's contribution this season.

Klopp has since seen his midfield options depleted by injuries to Adam Lallana and wantaway Brazilian Philippe Coutinho ahead of Saturday’s Premier League opener at Watford. The manager says Liverpool are considering potential reinforcements in that department.

“We don’t have too many midfield players in the moment who have experience,” Klopp said.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-midfielder-jurgen-klopp-fsg-13465508.amp

At least we'll sign a midfielder now.

[/quote

I reckon we'll sign Milner from our defence.

• Upvote 6

Ok, so we're that fucking brilliant only 2 players on the planet can improve us. Shame we can win a fucking thing and spend half the season with school boys on the bench.

Nobody is saying that there's only two players who'll improve us. They're saying, plan b and c players will provide only marginal gains for gigantic money. Now, that might be worth it to you, but it's not to others. The straw man stuff is needless, in my view.

Interesting comments from Klopp in the press conference. His point about speaking with clubs early to establish whether players are available so that there was plenty of time to establish and sign alternatives particularly so. Especially as we would "appear" not to have done that.

Klopp always strikes me as a meticulous switched on bloke. I don't believe for one second that he intends closing the window with the squad he has. Just have a nagging feeling that there is still something left to happen with both Leipzig and Southampton.

Maybe they are waiting to see the outcome of the qualifier before putting final bids in or maybe they are seeing who blinks first. I think they must have received some sort of encouragement on Keita and maybe Leipzig thought we would keep going up and up. The club decide to withdraw interest and advise they can get him next summer for £48m hoping Leipzig will realise the offers will not go up and up. By not buying a replacement Keita knows we want him and Rangnick knows he is not signing a new contract but fronts it out to get a higher offer. Now it's a case of who blinks first.

For me, that makes more sense than Klopp just walking away and not buying anyone. For instance, last summer he was keen on Gotze and Dahoud but once they had indicated they were not coming he signed Wijnaldum and Mane. He has been pragmatic in the past so why change now. It just leads me to think that he still feels there is something left to go with these two. It suits him to let these clubs think that he is happy with his lot, it's all part of the game. Either way, we will soon find out

• Upvote 5