You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Wouldn’t have let him go, but wouldn’t take him back either. 

The only benefit in bringing him back would be the fact he would be capable of slotting right in. We need to make our team younger, I'd have kept him too, but now he's gone (and on mega money), it's time to find and sign the next thing but 8 years younger. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

On loan to the end of the season with PSG topping up his wages from what we paid him last season? Yes please. 

Definitely, I don’t get people saying this ship has sailed. If it were possible, we’d get a player who could slot right in. He wouldn’t be in the 1st 11 if everyone is fit but, for me, he’d certainly be the 1st one to call on if either of Fab, Thiago or Hendo was injured and given the injury records, he’d probably play a big percentage of games, they’d also need rotating if we’re going bollocks deep in the CL & Prem too.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Definitely, I don’t get people saying this ship has sailed. If it were possible, we’d get a player who could slot right in. He wouldn’t be in the 1st 11 if everyone is fit but, for me, he’d certainly be the 1st one to call on if either of Fab, Thiago or Hendo was injured and given the injury records, he’d probably play a big percentage of games, they’d also need rotating if we’re going bollocks deep in the CL & Prem too.  

He's wanting a loan move from PSG because he isnt playing frequently by all accounts. He's not going to consider returning here to sit behind Fab, Thiago, Hendo in my view.

He's wanting weekly game time so he'll end up at arsenal if he comes back to the PL. Wouldnt be surprised to see newcastle resign him and pay his full wages as an alternative.

2 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I don't see what's in it for psg unless someone is paying all his wages. And we won't do that which is why he warms the bench in Paris. 

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

He's wanting a loan move from PSG because he isnt playing frequently by all accounts. He's not going to consider returning here to sit behind Fab, Thiago, Hendo in my view.

He's wanting weekly game time so he'll end up at arsenal if he comes back to the PL. Wouldnt be surprised to see newcastle resign him and pay his full wages as an alternative.

You maybe right but the talk was about would you have him back. Anyone that says they wouldn’t, haven’t got the teams best interests at heart. We’re not gonna be signing anyone in Jan so a loan for a player who was integral in a Title win & CL win is a no brainer for me. Wasn’t that long ago we were struggling in midfield with all the injuries. 

9 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

You maybe right but the talk was about would you have him back. Anyone that says they wouldn’t, haven’t got the teams best interests at heart. We’re not gonna be signing anyone in Jan so a loan for a player who was integral in a Title win & CL win is a no brainer for me. Wasn’t that long ago we were struggling in midfield with all the injuries. 

i like gini, as i said before i wouldn't have let him go and he would obviously be able to drop right in. but aside from making him the ghost of christmas past for salah, i don't really get how this deal works.

psg surely only want to loan him if there is someone willing to pay all of his wages - i don't see how they are not under FFP pressure. with newcastle and arsenal around (perhaps even everton as they offloaded rodriguez since the last window closed), it seems they will set a market price for that, so there's no chance of reduced wages. FSG won't want to be paying his full wages, because if they had, he'd probably still be a liverpool player. in fact i would suggest it is pretty likely he would have likely signed for less than psg are paying him. 

then there's gini's perspective. he would be moving to get games. i agree with you it wasn't long ago we had an injury crisis in midfield. i also think it is reasonable to assume it won't be our last one considering who is in there. however, if we brought gini in, i doubt he would be at the seniority level he was in the squad before - and neither should he be. Klopp's priority will be to his full time players - that's the bloke he is and his team ethic is the basis of everything we do. so in an "everyone is fit" scenario, gini is probably behind both thiago and keita for that left 8 role (maybe even Jones and Milner too) . in that scenario, i don't see how he gets more game time than he is getting in paris. gini isn't stupid, he will know how klopp works and he would be down the pecking order. 

so if we are playing a computer game, i see how this loan deal is perfect. but i honestly don't see how it works in a business and professional sense. that's not i haven't got liverpool's best interests at heart. i just don't see how it works to satisfy PSG, LFC and Gini. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’m a fan of the beautiful man, but our midfield is far superior to PSG’s. If he isn’t getting in theirs, he’s not getting in ours.

i am not quite sure about that. the lad played just about every match for 5 years. he isn't suddenly shit - and it's not like it was 5 years ago he was playing for us, Thiago has played a dozen games since Gini last played for us. it's just he is in a different team, different manager and a different style of football. Gini's footballing ability isn't the question here, it's the money and squad management imo. 

He'd walk into our starting eleven in most games for me, but time has moved on and midfield is an area where we need to bring in younger players, with Milner, Thiago and Hendo all over 30, as is Gini himself. Bellingham would nicely bring down our average age in the middle. 

Says a lot about Wijnaldum that there's no ill-feeling directed towards him by anyone on here that I can see, whatever their opinion on exactly how important or otherwise he was to us. Rare that a player who moves on to another club enjoys that almost universal respect. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i am not quite sure about that. the lad played just about every match for 5 years. he isn't suddenly shit - and it's not like it was 5 years ago he was playing for us, Thiago has played a dozen games since Gini last played for us. it's just he is in a different team, different manager and a different style of football. Gini's footballing ability isn't the question here, it's the money and squad management imo. 

Our midfield is unquestionably better than PSG’s. Gini is a very good player but he wouldn’t have been in our best XI if everyone was fit. Neither would Herrera or Gana if they were playing for us.

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is gonna be like the Coutinho thing where people will just say take him back every window.

Coutinho pulled a gobshite move though, Gini never wanted to leave by all accounts and never gave anything less than his best. 

I don't think we've missed him in all honesty but strength in depth is still a concern for me, if he wants to come home than roll out the red carpet as far as I'm concerned.