You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

3 hours ago, No2 said:

I absolutely guarantee you if Gini had a time machine he's accepting the offer we put in front of him.

Maybe, maybe not. I don’t know the difference in offers. Multi million more at his age is tempting.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

I absolutely guarantee you if Gini had a time machine he's accepting the offer we put in front of him.

Maybe, maybe not. I don’t know the difference in offers. Multi million more at his age is tempting.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

3 hours ago, No2 said:

9 hours ago, Boss said:

He scored 11 goals with 5 assists playing in midfield for a relegated side, including scoring 4 goals in one game. He won Dutch player of the year before he even came to England. He was hardly a non-entity.

He scored in 6 games from 30 odd. He was their main man.

The fact he found himself  at Newcastle is testament to how he was viewed by others.

The fact Klopp bought him to play a position that has nothing to do with what he did at Newcastle is testament to how we viewed him too.

We made him.

8 hours ago, Boss said:

I didn't say he played centre midfield. I said he played as a midfielder. Left midfield, right midfield, centre midfield, attacking midfield - all midfield roles. 

Then you should have clarified. "In midfield" usually implies central midfield. He was basically the second most attacking player on the pitch for them. That's much different than what he did here and explains his stats for Newcastle. 

• Upvote 1

He moved on and it's rarely wise to go back in situations like this. 

I still think we'd be much closer to Manchester City in the league if he'd been available this season.

Anyway, we need to be finding the new Wijnaldum/Henderson/Milner/Thiago over the next three or four windows given the age profile. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Then you should have clarified. "In midfield" usually implies central midfield. He was basically the second most attacking player on the pitch for them. That's much different than what he did here and explains his stats for Newcastle. 

I didn't need to clarify anything. You misinterpreted what I said and thought I said central midfield, when I didn't. He played left midfield and attacking midfield for most of the season. Either way, the point wasn't even about that. It was about the fact that he wasn't a nobody before Klopp got hold of him. He was brilliant for PSV and he had a standout season for Newcastle.

18 minutes ago, Boss said:

I didn't need to clarify anything. You misinterpreted what I said and thought I said central midfield, when I didn't. He played left midfield and attacking midfield for most of the season. Either way, the point wasn't even about that. It was about the fact that he wasn't a nobody before Klopp got hold of him. He was brilliant for PSV and he had a standout season for Newcastle.

I'd qualify playing as a #10 and on the left as "attacking midfield" for clarity's sake, but suit yourself. Because everyone knows that's mostly what he was at Newcastle, not "a midfielder". 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'd qualify playing as a #10 and on the left as "attacking midfield" for clarity's sake, but suit yourself. Because everyone knows that's mostly what he was at Newcastle, not "a midfielder". 

I understand what you mean and I'm sure you understand what I meant by it too. It's not something we should be arguing about.

1 minute ago, Boss said:

I understand what you mean and I'm sure you understand what I meant by it too. It's not something we should be arguing about.

Honestly, I think you tried to oversell him as a player a bit, just as I'm trying to undersell him a bit. It's just passive aggressive internet jostling. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You’ve changed your tune. This is what I was trying to explain to you 6 years ago when we signed him. 

34 minutes ago, aRdja said:

You’ve changed your tune. This is what I was trying to explain to you 6 years ago when we signed him. 

Haha, not so fast, bud. I said he could play in midfield at Liverpool at the time because he had at PSV and for Holland. At Newcastle, he played further forward, we knew this. 

Odd way of you to interpret a completely correct argument I had in retrospect, but that's fine. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Touché. It’s become a bit of a meme, but it’s the truth. He was a predominantly attacking player. 

I was just pissing about really mate.  I had a look at the first few pages of the thread, just for fun, and it turns out I was similar to you in asking for a more controlling, playmaker midfielder as well at the time we signed him.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I heard you the first time Alex.

I read each post thinking they were different. Then had a feeling of deja vu, a glitch in the Matrix.