You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Meh. I'm not saying he's going to be good enough, but I do remember how absolutely shit De Gea was when he first joined, and how much criticism pundits gave him for being indecisive/puny/unable to deal with crosses, and he's now the best keeper in the world.

I'm not comparing, but goalkeeper is a tough position at a top club, and especially for younger keepers, so much of it is mental. So I think Klopp's doing the right thing by giving him a run, and letting him know he's no.1 to breed confidence.

If he thrives then fantastic, surely? And if he still looks indecisive/not good enough, then we'll know we need a keeper next season.

I also don't think you can guarantee someone like Jack Butland would necessarily come in and be top club quality (although he did look like he had potential pre injury), and I'd much rather we spent the £40million being quoted elsewhere. Incidentially Karius cost us £4m, which is fuck all these days.

I'm sure Oblak, or Allison (If he's as good as people seem to be saying) would improve us, but they are up there with the very best keepers in the world, and there's no guarantee we could get them. Oblak especially, although he's ace.

• Upvote 1

1st half. Make one decent save when he rushed out and closed down a shot, and one good save when he tipped that one over the bar.  A few routine collections of the ball.  Nothing that we shouldn't expect a goalkeeper to do but we're so accustomed to the routine not being done we're impressed.  Still solid 7/10 performance, 

2nd half he was about 1ft off the ground trying to catch a set piece and their player put it over, and there were a couple of weakish punches if I recall. 5/10

6/10 overall on the Dangerously Performance Meter (DPM)

I think we all deserve live DPM updates during the matches going forward.

(And don't go making it that elitist members only content shit)

From Tuesdays game:

1st half: threw a ball straight to them. Saved a chance which was offside by rushing out (I think). Think he punched a a corner adequately. 5/10

2nd Half. Can't remember anything other than he easily gathering that snap shot near the end. 6/10

DPM raying 5.5/10

Seems low but he didn't have much to do

If he cuts out the mistakes.

Does whats expected off him then i think the 50/60 million needed for a world class keeper can be put to far better use. We dont hsbe City/Utd levels of resources so id rather see the money elsewhere. And just go out snd get a good back up

If he starts making mistakes then go and get a keeper

Simple really

He should have had all of this season, infact last season to find out if he has the minerals. Then we'd know where we stand.

Instead for some moronic reason we wasted another season and a half boosting Mignolet's appearances past the 200 mark. When 38 was enough to know he wasn't good enough.

• Upvote 1

Bascombe saying in the Telegraph that we might stick with Karius rather than spend a fortune on a new keeper. Big mistake if true. Even if we decide not to spend a fortune on someone like Allison from Roma, we clearly need a quality alternative to Karius with Mignolet's days looking numbered, and the performances of both in recent times not being good enough.

I've no objections to Karius staying, but ideally I'd like to see him as a back up to someone we can consistently rely on.

Bascombe saying in the Telegraph that we might stick with Karius rather than spend a fortune on a new keeper. Big mistake if true. Even if we decide not to spend a fortune on someone like Allison from Roma, we clearly need a quality alternative to Karius with Mignolet's days looking numbered, and the performances of both in recent times not being good enough.

I've no objections to Karius staying, but ideally I'd like to see him as a back up to someone we can consistently rely on.

We are going to be buying a keeper because Mignolet is leaving. I don't mind if that keeper is a solid veteran with lots of appearances under his belt because Karius will learn more from him than he ever has with Mignolet.

I'm shocked.

I’m not saying Karius is in a similar level to De Gea. But I wonder what some our fans would have made of De Gea if he were here for his 1st season, he looked very dodgy at times during his 1st season at the Mancs. I’m not convinced over Karius but it must be hard and knock your confidence when you are/were only playing the odd game, make an error and not play for a few games. Must have killed any confidence he had. Give the lad a good run now, knowing he’s gonna be playing, giving him confidence, and see how he goes before passing final judgement on him.

I'm of the thinking that we've moved to shut down these rumours because klopp doesn't want any negative press to affect the current form of karius.

I'm hoping it's more of a confidence boost to our current keeper, as opposed to an auf wiedersehn to what many believed to be our summer target.

This is very likely to be the case I'd say. We're (almost certainly) into the QF of the Champions League and could still finish as high as 2nd in the league. Karius is finally showing some form, brought about in large part from him being made the club's clear first choice in all competitions. It serves absolutely no purpose to let rumours of his very expensive replacement continue at this point.

Sheesh, Jurgen. Would this have been so difficult:

'In this moment, just so our fans know, there is no chance of Karius being first choice next season. He's a good lad but I'll be signing somebody who can do everything better than him. I'm sure that knowing this won't have any effect on his confidence in our first tilt at the European Cup in ten years.'

• Upvote 4

My own opinion is that ultimately he isn't good enough - but, he has improved a lot since he was confirmed as number one. Personally I think it would be a mistake to not bring in a top class keeper - however, I think another keeper will come in - but, not sure whether it would be a young developing keeper, or an established keeper. 

My own opinion is that ultimately he isn't good enough - but, he has improved a lot since he was confirmed as number one. Personally I think it would be a mistake to not bring in a top class keeper - however, I think another keeper will come in - but, not sure whether it would be a young developing keeper, or an established keeper.

I don’t think it’s possible to say anything ‘ultimately’ just yet. Surely if he keeps playing well and doesn’t make any mistakes then he’ll be good enough?

Nobody knows what Klopp is going to do re goalkeepers, but if Karius can build on his current form then why shouldn’t he be first choice going forward?

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it’s possible to say anything ‘ultimately’ just yet. Surely if he keeps playing well and doesn’t make any mistakes then he’ll be good enough?

Nobody knows what Klopp is going to do re goalkeepers, but if Karius can build on his current form then why shouldn’t he be first choice going forward?

That's true, I think the issue has been just how shakey he has looked in goal during almost all of his time at the club. If he plays out of his skin the rest of the season, the confidence might be there.