You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

United, Spurs and City will both be more than 20 points ahead of us in the league this season, and Chelsea not far behind.

Quite how you all sit there and tell me Klopp is building something good here, I don't know.

By the time Keita comes in, we'll lose Coutinho, Can and Mane. 

Milner and Klavan will be 32 next summer, that's 2 that immediately need sorting on top of those.

Then we look at keeper.

Then we look at full backs.

Then we look at Henderson.

Then we look at Sturridge/Ings/Origi/Solanke.

But obviously I'm over-egging this.  1 win in 6, nothing to see here.  Firmino is fantastic. Klopp is great, we're purring, what a system.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

United, Spurs and City will both be more than 20 points ahead of us in the league this season, and Chelsea not far behind.

Quite how you all sit there and tell me Klopp is building something good here, I don't know.

By the time Keita comes in, we'll lose Coutinho, Can and Mane. 

Milner and Klavan will be 32 next summer, that's 2 that immediately need sorting on top of those.

Then we look at keeper.

Then we look at full backs.

Then we look at Henderson.

Then we look at Sturridge/Ings/Origi/Solanke.

But obviously I'm over-egging this.  1 win in 6, nothing to see here.  Firmino is fantastic. Klopp is great, we're purring, what a system.

I agree.

Ward

TAA Matip Laverne Milner

AOC

Coutinho  Henderson Moreno

Mane   Salah

Go on Klopp give AOC a role as a holding mid. Otherwise, why in fuck did you buy him??

Moron can only be used offensively, BUT that side of his game is improving quickly.

Milner shouldn't be at LB really, but Moreno can't play there.

Same goes for Lovren and Henderson, but we are where we are.

Maybe Can could dep for Henderson

Ward absolutely deserves a run to see what he can do, can he be any worse?

Looks full of goals that side, and maybe, just maybe, would be a tad more solid and dependable at the back.

Fire away....

Everyone is right

We have no plan B. Its not like we hained more points from a loosing position than anyone last year

Plan B is simply having better players,players change the game not so much tactics. Tactics are simply having more able and/or versatile players. Imagine having Salah or Mane from the bench,what a first eleven you'd have.

Plan B is simply having better players,players change the game not so much tactics. Tactics are simply having more able and/or versatile players. Imagine having Salah or Mane from the bench,what a first eleven you'd have.

That just simply isn't true and I don't think it's what Klopp believes either. If it was just down to how good or versatile your players were then the richest teams would never lose a game. At this level tactics are massively important. The fact of the matter is we do not have Mane or Salah coming off the bench because they start for us so we have to work with what we've got. That should involve changing formations and tactics when necessary.

You only have to watch some of the really good analysis Carragher and Neville do to show you how teams deal with other teams in terms of defending and breaking them down. Great players like Coutinho can score you a goal out of nothing but you can't just rely on that especially if you've only got one of them and you're competing with sides who have got more than a few.

Just stating its not only points we need to pick up its goals,that 4th place that seems to keep the club happy with might just slip away on goal difference and we can't have that can we.

You really struggle, dont you dick. The OP was going on about city, united and spurs finishing 20 points in front of us. I replied to that. Then, to show just how big a dick you are dick, you then go on about goal difference or something completely unrealated to the number of points those 3 sides may finish ahead of us.

Better luck next time, dick but for now, the computer says, no.

That just simply isn't true and I don't think it's what Klopp believes either. If it was just down to how good or versatile your players were then the richest teams would never lose a game. At this level tactics are massively important. The fact of the matter is we do not have Mane or Salah coming off the bench because they start for us so we have to work with what we've got. That should involve changing formations and tactics when necessary.

You only have to watch some of the really good analysis Carragher and Neville do to show you how teams deal with other teams in terms of defending and breaking them down. Great players like Coutinho can score you a goal out of nothing but you can't just rely on that especially if you've only got one of them and you're competing with sides who have got more than a few.

Tactics are immensely overrated. The richest teams,ergo the best,clean up because they buy the best players and pay them the biggest salaries. Tactics only come into play during games between evenly matched teams and then its often individuals who make the difference. As for Carragher and Neville's analysis,which teams have they guided to trophies based on their tactical nous? (I don't watch any of that sky analysis bullshit anyhow,but its always easier from the warmth of a studio over the intensity of a dugout.)

• Upvote 1

Tactics are immensely overrated. The richest teams,ergo the best,clean up because they buy the best players and pay them the biggest salaries. Tactics only come into play during games between evenly matched teams and then its often individuals who make the difference. As for Carragher and Neville's analysis,which teams have they guided to trophies based on their tactical nous? (I don't watch any of that sky analysis bullshit anyhow,but its always easier from the warmth of a studio over the intensity of a dugout.)

Yeah those rich clubs just buy the best players and then get any old jobsworth to coach them. That's why Mourinho won fuck all until he joined mega rich clubs like Chelsea - he's not actually a good coach, he just had good players.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_pass?se=79

Most number of passes completed by players this season.

Our rivals have the following number of players (their position in brackets) in the top 80:

Man City:

Kompany (69)

Walker (31)

Danilo (31)

Stones (14)

De Bruyne (7)

Otamendi (5)

Fernandinho (3)

Silva (1)

Man United:

Mata (75)

Bailly (43)

Mkhiraryan (36)

Jones (29)

Pogba (27)

Valencia (24)

Matic (9)

Chelsea

Luiz (53)

Rudiger (35)

Fabregas (22)

Kante (21)

Azpilicueta (11), 

Spurs

Trippier (66)

Davies (61)

Eriksen (16)

Dier (10)

Alderweireld (8)

Vertonghen (2)

Liverpool

Klavan (71)

Can (51)

Henderson (19)

Matip (18)

We're shit at passing compared to our rivals.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/touches

Top 100 players in the PL for touches of the ball this season.  Position in (brackets).

City

Danilo (43)

Walker (42)

Otamendi (6)

De Bruyne (5)

Fernandinho (4)

SIlva (3)

Spurs

Trippier (69)

Alli (62)

Dier (14)

Eriksen (12)

Alderweireld (9)

Vertonghen (1)

United

Bailly (57)

Jones (39)

Pogba (30 )
Mkhitaryan (28)

Valencia (15)

Matic (8)

Chelsea

Willian (100)

Luiz (80)

Rudiger (51)

Fabregas (37)

Alonso (34)

Kante (20)

Azpilicueta (13)

Liverpool

Can (67)

Henderson (26)

Matip (22)

Don't be so dismissive of it if you've never watched it. Honestly it's really good sometimes. It's like the standard response or the "in" thing to say when anyone brings up TV analysis is just to give it a snooty "I'm above all that."

I wasn't talking about when they are being critical either so switch the autopilot off and read what I put. They show how players are put in certain positions to try and expose weaknesses or to nullify opposition teams specific attacks. They aren't coming up with this themselves and implementing it they're showing you how the current premier league managers are and they're probably spotting it themselves by being professionals who know the game very well from playing under some very good managers at a high level over a long period of time.

I honestly can't believe how obtuse you're being to think that tactics only come in to play with evenly matched teams. That's absolute nonsense. How the fuck do smaller teams beat the bigger teams so often then? How did Leicester win the league? Over the course of a season or number of seasons of course the money and level of players you sign will have a big impact on results but you're completely daft if you think tactics don't impact every single game that is played.

Just taking us as an example we've put a lot of better teams with more money and better players to the sword regularly because we had tactics that they couldn't cope with.

• Upvote 1