You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

A bowl of honey nut cornflakes would be an upgrade on Balotelli.

How the fuck is buying Benteke for £32.5m a better buy than Coutinho for £8.5m?

My rationale there wasn't trying to compare players on a technical level, but about impact to a team. You're crying out for goals, and if he provides that (which I think he will, providing he has Sturridge with him), then it'll be money well spent, even if expensive. Rodgers tried to plug the goalscoring gap in the cheap and it didn't work. Now he's paying for a (in theory) much more capable striker. That's why I think he'll be the best buy since Sturridge, not necessarily the best player.

If he's on his own though, he might not score too many, but as part of a front two, I think he'll do wonders.

• Downvote 1

The main issue as I see it is that he's just another signing based not on any long term scouting of him but the 12 goals he scored when Sherwood took over. As far as I can recall we have never been linked with him previously, not even when Suarez left. If he was that good and itching for a move last summer as was widely reported, and we had £65m burning a hole in our pockets why wasn't he bought then? Was his goalscoring record not the same then? The club with its scattergun approach may find their luck in this time, but after signing 30 players you'd have to be fucking terrible not to buy at least one decent player.

He was inured for the world cup and had done his Achilles, with Sturridge already crocked would you have wanted us to sign another striker who could have been out for god knows how many weeks?

Do some fucking reading before you slate the club for shite like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He was inured for the world cup and had done his Achilles, with Sturridge already crocked would you have wanted us to sign another striker who could have been out for god knows how many weeks?

Do some fucking reading before you slate the club for shite like that.

Haha fucking touchy aren't we. I said recall, not 100% never. I don't mind being corrected, honestly. You'll never see me flounce.

Haha fucking touchy aren't we. I said recall, not 100% never. I don't mind being corrected, honestly. You'll never see me flounce.

Fair enough mate but the fact he was injured kind of answered every question you raised in that post. 

I do agree that our transfer business has been a joke for far too long but we can't beat the club up over everything they do.

Hes going to better than anything we have currently by way of a striker .  Other than that I'll reserve judgement . I hate it when people rubbish new signings even when chances are they are going to flop. Equally proven players don't always click so lets just give the lad a chance .   

• Upvote 1

Did not realise Liverpool fans held Aston Villa fans and their views in such high esteem, you learn something new all the time.

I guess Benteke stands out as he replaced a 34 yr old Heskey and they have had an assortment of misfits over the years.

Their list of strikers is like our list of leftbacks, many more misses than hits.

• Upvote 3

If you think that's bollocks, go on villatalk.com and look at their fans discussing him, it's exactly the same tone. Here's a bloke with 45,000 posts:

I said on here last week that Shaqiri seems like the sort of player who is rated incredibly highly by people who have barely seen him play and not highly at all by people who have. The opposite appears to be true of Benteke. The Villa fans who have spent the last 3 years watching him week in, week out seem to think he's absolutely top drawer, while our fans, based on the odd game and match of the day highlights think he's shite.

How about finding a post where I said he's shite? The overall consensus is that he's a brilliant fit for Villa and not a right fit for us, especially with a manager such as Rodgers.

That being said, again, what type of fab is happy to See their best player leave, unless he is easily replaced for their teams way of playin?

Did not realise Liverpool fans held Aston Villa fans and their views in such high esteem, you learn something new all the time.

I guess Benteke stands out as he replaced a 34 yr old Heskey and they have had an assortment of misfits over the years.

Their list of strikers is like our list of leftbacks, many more misses than hits.

Many of them genuinely think we'll be a stepping stone for him to sign for Barca or Real Madrid. Speechless.

Leaning on stuff, Tinie Tempah ticket protruding from his pocket and being asked leading questions about how ace everything is here isn't it? ISN'T IT... WELL?

Do you know you're signing for the biggest club in the world...no...well you are...no you are...No not Barca...I mean trophies won, ok just in England yeah?  Yeah?  Just say Yes Christian.

BENTEKE: I'VE SIGNED FOR BIGGEST CLUB IN WORLD 

• Upvote 3

I said on here last week that Shaqiri seems like the sort of player who is rated incredibly highly by people who have barely seen him play and not highly at all by people who have.

Similar to the Flanagan Phenomenon: The longer he's out, the better he gets.

It will be interesting to see how all of this turns out.  He's been emphatically declared as shit by a large section of our support. The picture painted by his critics is that he's entirely reliant upon crosses, a more direct/long ball game and is therefore ill-suited to Rodgers' style.  But will that be the case?