You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers is our manager

Delighted to see those responsible for our Euro failure and abject transfer performance being sacked.

Many of us have been saying for some while that if only Pascoe and Marsh had followed Brendan's instructions we would have won the EL, scored more goals, and SuperMario , Lambert and Lovrens would have been a success.

Very brave of Brendan to ditch Marsh, and Pascoe who trusted him like he asked in his "Being Liverpool" homily. Still when they have subverted your success, what can you do?

Ask Susan..

Gobshite

• Upvote 2

Whether this is a positive or a negative will depend entirely on who they're replaced with. No sense over-doing the reaction until we know that. Give us some strong, wise football men in the background, and maybe some of Rodgers' worst weaknesses could be controlled. An independent, experienced assistant might have taken him aside and told him "Err, don't play half your squad in positions they're shit at and we might win a few more games..." or something.

It does look like his authority at the club has been undermined, though. Whether that's a good thing will come clear next autumn.

But, I'd have hoped my dead grandmother could have told him that.

Or better still, he could have told himself.

I don't know mate, but I would find it difficult to believe that Rodgers is prepared to or capable enough to correct the mistakes of last season.  The mistakes are too disparate - he might be able to learn enough to correct one, but not all of them.  And that won't be enough.

I do get the sense that he is a dead man walking.  

As I've said on another thread, it's bizarre that both the senior people under his chain of command have been sacked, yet he clings on.  Why hasn't he been sacked, and failing that, why hasn't he walked?

My principles?  Here they are.  If you don't like them, I have others.  

But, I'd have hoped my dead grandmother could have told him that.

Or better still, he could have told himself.

Admittedly that is a flaw in my reasoning.

In my mind, the backroom this year was staffed by a field trip from a special group home.

-- I think we'll have Sterling at right wing back this week. Now, who wants an ice cream?

-- Yay!

• Upvote 1

Jay Riley @Jay_78_
Rene Mulensteen is liked by #LFC and would be under consideration as an assistant.

He managed a win against Villa whilst he was in charge at Fulham, maybe that could tip the balance in his favour...

Admittedly that is a flaw in my reasoning.

In my mind, the backroom this year was staffed by a field trip from a special group home.

-- I think we'll have Sterling at right wing back this week. Now, who wants an ice cream?

-- Yay!

Mine's a 99.

I don't know mate, but I would find it difficult to believe that Rodgers is prepared to or capable enough to correct the mistakes of last season.  The mistakes are too disparate - he might be able to learn enough to correct one, but not all of them.  And that won't be enough.

I do get the sense that he is a dead man walking.  

So do I to be honest.  I think he might think he can sort things out but whether he actually can or not remains to be seen.  If everybody he works with is getting sacked around him, he has to know he's in the last chance saloon because there's no way that 'it's the coaches' will be a valid excuse next season no matter who the idea has come from this time round.

Looking at this now we know Pascoe has gone too, I see three options:

1. Brendan has looked at last season and finally had an epiphany, realised that there's a reason top sides have top coaches and thought 'thanks lads but I think you've done all you can here' before telling the owners that he's acknowledging he needs more assisance from his coaching staff because that's what went wrong. Looking at the shambles we were at times last season, it was undoubtedly one of many factors.

2. Brendan has been told 'OK here's the deal - you keep your job but you clean house and we bring in some new staff to 'support' you. He either agrees with it, or he doesn't but has decided to suck it up anyway because the other option is apply for the West Ham job.

3. Brendan has done 1. but not for the stated reasons, just to save his neck.

I have no idea whether it's 1) or 2) but I hope it's not 3). It could be 3) I genuinely have no idea if he's that sort of bloke or not, but I'd hope for 1).

I will say if you saw his interview after the Stoke game he looked genuinely broken, there wasn't a trace of the usual 'outstanding' stuff, he was just completely shell-shocked. Coming on the back of the FA Cup loss to Villa, our appalling run-in and a young player who he has brought into the squad essentially turning round and saying 'I want to leave because I think I'm going to win fuck all if I stay here', I do wonder if it was finally enough to penetrate his self-confidence and give him a wake-up call.

I tend to think it's 2) and FSG have used his present weak position to make changes that he either accepts or walks away from. Perhaps Marsh and Pascoe have told him there's no point in us all going. Either way it'll be a hell of a knock to his confidence, but it sort of bookends him slapping down the DoF role publicly three years ago.

As much as I've questioned his egotism, I can't help but feel this is the wrong way to go about things. Undermining a manager rarely ends in better performances. It's looking more and more like FSG will use this summer to put in place the kind of changes they want ready for when the next manager comes in, but if Rodgers managed to turn it around it'd be a happy upshot of it all. Maybe there'll be a DoF next.

• Upvote 3

Brendan is Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man.  A visionary genius, who doesn't need his sub-standard colleagues to fulfil his dreams.  He flips out now and again in his pursuit for excellence but ultimately has good intentions.

So you're equating Rodgers to a rapist and a multiple murderer.

And you're having a go at me.......

• Upvote 1

Delighted to see those responsible for our Euro failure and abject transfer performance being sacked.Many of us have been saying for some while that if only Pascoe and Marsh had followed Brendan's instructions we would have won the EL, scored more goals, and SuperMario , Lambert and Lovrens would have been a success.Very brave of Brendan to ditch Marsh, and Pascoe who trusted him like he asked in his "Being Liverpool" homily. Still when they have subverted your success, what can you do?Ask Susan..

It is the right decision but the man responsible for those failures is still in a job. And he hired Marsh and Pascoe to basically be his yes men so it's mad how he's got away with it.

And left to his own accord he'd have changed nothing. It would have been forced on him to save his own skin. He's got a second chance now to do things properly and is a lucky boy.

Looking at this now we know Pascoe has gone too, I see three options:

1. Brendan has looked at last season and finally had an epiphany, realised that there's a reason top sides have top coaches and thought 'thanks lads but I think you've done all you can here' before telling the owners that he's acknowledging he needs more assisance from his coaching staff because that's what went wrong.  Looking at the shambles we were at times last season, it was undoubtedly one of many factors.

2. Brendan has been told 'OK here's the deal - you keep your job but you clean house and we bring in some new staff to 'support' you.  He either agrees with it, or he doesn't but has decided to suck it up anyway because the other option is apply for the West Ham job.

3. Brendan has done 1. but not for the stated reasons, just to save his neck.

I have no idea whether it's 1) or 2) but I hope it's not 3).  It could be 3) I genuinely have no idea if he's that sort of bloke or not, but I'd hope for 1).

I will say if you saw his interview after the Stoke game he looked genuinely broken, there wasn't a trace of the usual 'outstanding' stuff, he was just completely shell-shocked.  Coming on the back of the FA Cup loss to Villa, our appalling run-in and a young player who he has brought into the squad essentially turning round and saying 'I want to leave because I think I'm going to win fuck all if I stay here', I do wonder if it was finally enough to penetrate his self-confidence and give him a wake-up call.

Pretty sure it's 2. If the shambles of the first half of the season didn't humble him after what happened in the CL and the league then the last 10 games wouldn't. He's only ever a few wins from the arrogance coming to the surface. When things are going wrong he just doesn't know how to fix it. Hopefully better coaches will help.

When things are going wrong he just doesn't know how to fix it. Hopefully better coaches will help.

But that is crazy.

Any coach is only as effective as the manager allows, and if new coaches do turn things round, shouldn't they be in charge?

• Upvote 1

He must have been close to resigning following that news surely.

If he has little or no input into the replacements I can still see him walking.

He can still leave with his reputation intact stating signings weren't his etc etc.

However money does seem to affect people's principles!

• Upvote 1

I tend to think it's 2) and FSG have used his present weak position to make changes that he either accepts or walks away from. Perhaps Marsh and Pascoe have told him there's no point in us all going. Either way it'll be a hell of a knock to his confidence, but it sort of bookends him slapping down the DoF role publicly three years ago.

As much as I've questioned his egotism, I can't help but feel this is the wrong way to go about things. Undermining a manager rarely ends in better performances. It's looking more and more like FSG will use this summer to put in place the kind of changes they want ready for when the next manager comes in, but if Rodgers managed to turn it around it'd be a happy upshot of it all. Maybe there'll be a DoF next.

I agree . They've yanked his chain instead of spending money on getting a better manager

This will not end well and instead of an incompetent manager we will have a de-motivated incompetent manager . Clueless fucking cunts the lot of them

But that is crazy.Any coach is only as effective as the manager allows, and if new coaches do turn things round, shouldn't they be in charge?

I don't necessarily see it like that, if he gets some real experience put in behind him (which should have been put in place from the outset and shows just how fucking clueless the people running the club are) then maybe they can help him with the defensive side of his game and ring European experience with them, wasn't that the reason Ferguson used to bring people like Quiroz in? This could actually be a good thing having some older heads brought in to support him, it makes sense because he is only young and as said some think he could someday become a top manager, it all depends on the appointments though and given our illustrious owners general unwillingness to hire top people for positions I don't hold out much hope.