You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers is our manager

Sammy lee

Without doubt he should be here, he's been one of the best English coaches for a good few years and knows everything about Liverpool.

The problem seems to be he's too good and gets moved up to high positions by managers when here, when the next one comes in they want to bring in their own men and get rid of him.

• Downvote 1

This is bad, I mean, I think next season was going to be a shit fest anyway but today's events seem to demonstrate BR's lack of authority at the club. It's quite unbelievable actually that, if this is the case, the people above the manager who know nothing about football are making decisions on his coaching staff.

I've long since thought something needed to happen with our coaches but of the manager's own volition and not forced on him.

Whilst I don't want to fuel the Rodgers as David Brent train, does this not remind anyone of that bit in the office where he announces redundancies, then tells everyone there is some good news - he's been promoted.

Go on, fuel it, fuel it!!

Without doubt he should be here, he's been one of the best English coaches for a good few years and knows everything about Liverpool.

The problem seems to be he's too good and gets moved up to high positions by managers when here, when the next one comes in they want to bring in their own men and get rid of him.

Agree. He's one of the best coaches in the country. Soured a bit by being associated with Hodgson.

Doing a good job with Southampton now. A very good first team coach. Meulensteen and Sammy Lee i'd be happy with.

Delighted to see those responsible for our Euro failure and abject transfer performance being sacked.

Many of us have been saying for some while that if only Pascoe and Marsh had followed Brendan's instructions we would have won the EL, scored more goals, and SuperMario , Lambert and Lovrens would have been a success.

Very brave of Brendan to ditch Marsh, and Pascoe who trusted him like he asked in his "Being Liverpool" homily. Still when they have subverted your success, what can you do?

Ask Susan..

• Upvote 4

The owners will know less about Marsh than you.  They information which led to his dismissal  would have come from one man.  

Looking at this now we know Pascoe has gone too, I see three options:

1. Brendan has looked at last season and finally had an epiphany, realised that there's a reason top sides have top coaches and thought 'thanks lads but I think you've done all you can here' before telling the owners that he's acknowledging he needs more assisance from his coaching staff because that's what went wrong.  Looking at the shambles we were at times last season, it was undoubtedly one of many factors.

2. Brendan has been told 'OK here's the deal - you keep your job but you clean house and we bring in some new staff to 'support' you.  He either agrees with it, or he doesn't but has decided to suck it up anyway because the other option is apply for the West Ham job.

3. Brendan has done 1. but not for the stated reasons, just to save his neck.

I have no idea whether it's 1) or 2) but I hope it's not 3).  It could be 3) I genuinely have no idea if he's that sort of bloke or not, but I'd hope for 1).

I will say if you saw his interview after the Stoke game he looked genuinely broken, there wasn't a trace of the usual 'outstanding' stuff, he was just completely shell-shocked.  Coming on the back of the FA Cup loss to Villa, our appalling run-in and a young player who he has brought into the squad essentially turning round and saying 'I want to leave because I think I'm going to win fuck all if I stay here', I do wonder if it was finally enough to penetrate his self-confidence and give him a wake-up call.

• Upvote 5

I do wonder if it was finally enough to penetrate his self-confidence and give him a wake-up call.

Top post that, I'm out of rep otherwise I would up it. 

I strongly suspect it was #2 and the shell-shocked appearance was because he thought he was a goner. 

Problem is even if the decision was made for the right reasons the chances this lot will make good appointments is pretty much nil. 

We're also stuck with the structure so we will continue to operate with one hand tied behind our back (in addition to an eye patch, a cement shoe, and a ball gag) in the transfer market. 

• Upvote 2

Looking at this now we know Pascoe has gone too, I see three options:

1. Brendan has looked at last season and finally had an epiphany, realised that there's a reason top sides have top coaches and thought 'thanks lads but I think you've done all you can here' before telling the owners that he's acknowledging he needs more assisance from his coaching staff because that's what went wrong.  Looking at the shambles we were at times last season, it was undoubtedly one of many factors.

2. Brendan has been told 'OK here's the deal - you keep your job but you clean house and we bring in some new staff to 'support' you.  He either agrees with it, or he doesn't but has decided to suck it up anyway because the other option is apply for the West Ham job.

3. Brendan has done 1. but not for the stated reasons, just to save his neck.

I have no idea whether it's 1) or 2) but I hope it's not 3).  It could be 3) I genuinely have no idea if he's that sort of bloke or not, but I'd hope for 1).

I will say if you saw his interview after the Stoke game he looked genuinely broken, there wasn't a trace of the usual 'outstanding' stuff, he was just completely shell-shocked.  Coming on the back of the FA Cup loss to Villa, our appalling run-in and a young player who he has brought into the squad essentially turning round and saying 'I want to leave because I think I'm going to win fuck all if I stay here', I do wonder if it was finally enough to penetrate his self-confidence and give him a wake-up call.

I don't know mate, but I would find it difficult to believe that Rodgers is prepared to or capable enough to correct the mistakes of last season.  The mistakes are too disparate - he might be able to learn enough to correct one, but not all of them.  And that won't be enough.

I do get the sense that he is a dead man walking.  

I'd hope for 1).

One can only hope.

Nice one, Robo, out of rep too, sorry.

I don't know mate, but I would find it difficult to believe that Rodgers is prepared to or capable enough to correct the mistakes of last season.  The mistakes are too disparate - he might be able to learn enough to correct one, but not all of them.  And that won't be enough.

I do get the sense that he is a dead man walking.  

Agree.

I said a couple of weeks ago, he should have walked himself.

Better for him that way.

Now, it could easily be a messy, undignified and unedifying mid-season thing which does the club and him fuck all good.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, and come first game in July/Aug I'll be behind him.

But.

Whether this is a positive or a negative will depend entirely on who they're replaced with. No sense over-doing the reaction until we know that. Give us some strong, wise football men in the background, and maybe some of Rodgers' worst weaknesses could be controlled. An independent, experienced assistant might have taken him aside and told him "Err, don't play half your squad in positions they're shit at and we might win a few more games..." or something.

It does look like his authority at the club has been undermined, though. Whether that's a good thing will come clear next autumn.