You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any homebrewers out there?

Chris

Anyone else into brewing their own beer? I started about a year ago and about to embark on a fourth batch.

First was a straightforward liquid extract wheat beer with infused hopes and dry yeast, which was shite. Second was a dried extract American Pale Ale, which was nice enough but over-carbonated.

The third was an absolutely brilliant vanilla porter ale, which we made using crushed malts and some dried extract. We also used fresh vanilla beans to make an extract with Woodman's Reserve bourbon and it was phenomenal. A truly lovely beer.

Gearing up for the fourth brew at the moment, our first all-grain brew. Pretty excited.

Narrowed it down to three recipes:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-california-common-beer/

http://morebeer.com/products/mikes-american-amber-ale-grain-beer-kit-advanced.html

and an all-grain variation of this one https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/sam-adams-summer-ale-clone-3

Anyone else into brewing their own beer? I started about a year ago and about to embark on a fourth batch.

First was a straightforward liquid extract wheat beer with infused hopes and dry yeast, which was shite. Second was an dried extract American Pale Ale, which was nice enough but over-carbonated.

The third was an absolutely brilliant vanilla porter ale, which we made using crushed malts and some dried extract. We also used fresh vanilla beans to make an extract with Woodman's Reserve bourbon and it was phenomenal. A truly lovely beer.

Sounds uplifting.

Seriously though, that vanilla ale sounds lovely.

I've been doing it with wine for the last 4 or 5 years, not from kits, always from fruit/veg or various hedgerow ingredients including flowers and blossoms.

With varying degrees of success ranging from completely spoiled and undrinkable, to absolutely delicious and, everything in between.

I enjoy the whole process from walking (usually) along the banks of the Leeds/Liverpool canal collecting the ingredients, right through the brewing process, bottling and especially the drinking of the first glass. Except when it tastes like monkey piss.

• Upvote 2

I did it out of necessity as where I live there is no beer available regularly and no pubs.

I just used a kit that brewed up 8L of beer in three weeks. Came out decent as long as you let it age properly and sterilize.

I had to bin it though as I ended up drinking way too much, at one point I had three pots going and sixty one litre bottles in rotation and my bloody kids bought me a banner that said Barge Room Brewery with my name on it as brewmaster. (The barge room is where all the dry goods are kept in the house that come up on the barge in the summer shipping season as there are no roads so the only way for freight is by cargo plane and is expensive),

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I've made a few batches over the last couple of years.

Started with a couple of the single-tin liquid extract kits, which make about 40 bottles. They were ok but tasted very much like homebrew.

Last summer I made 40 bottles of a two-tin kit and added some extra hops, which came out pretty well.

My missus bought me a couple of the Brooklyn Beer Shop all-grain kits for my birthday last year and since then I've solely made small (8/9 bottles) all-grain batches. As I was also bought the BBS recipe book I've been working through that and had resounding successes with a grapefruit IPA, coffee stout, pumpkin dubbel, classic English brown ale and, most successfully, an everyday IPA.

It's great fun and I love doing the smaller batches as it means more variety and better brews.

• Upvote 1