You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Homeless, Foodbanks and Soup Kitchens

Oh Buoy

Some inequality in society is necessary for that society to function 'properly', but the difference between the haves and have nots is growing at such a rate that more and more people will find themselves needing to use food banks and soup kitchens.

Some inequality in society is necessary for that society to function 'properly', but the difference between the haves and have nots is growing at such a rate that more and more people will find themselves needing to use food banks and soup kitchens.

More beheading could restore equilibrium.

• Upvote 1

If they took the advice of the saintly Norman Tebbit and got on their bikes then there would be no homeless or need for foodbanks.

It's because they're so lazy and feckless and probably on drugs

Also, the immigrants are to blame in many ways none of which i can think of right now but it's obvious, innit?

Could they not make soup out of confiscated drugs and gypsy dogs?

Princess Diana

Laffer Curve

I lived in my truck for a fortnight and one summer lived on an island in a river.

The living in a truck was tough, i used to shower at my parents place when they weren't there...they didn't know i had no place to live. Basically my roommate took off as he the cops were after him for credit card fraud and he paid the rent.

I was lucky that i had a job so could scrape together enough cash for some rent on a cheap place but its a frightful feeling.

The island river episode was more youthful foolishness.

I fucked it off after coming across an angry moose. That and I got tired of eating fish, beans and hot dogs and having to canoe for an hour to the little camp store on the lake the river emptied into.

• Upvote 3

What're your thoughts on them? 

I'm currently in the midst of setting up a project relating to all three and wondered what everyones consensus is, how much they really know about them and also if anyone has ever used one? 

They shouldn't exist, but they do because we live in a society of dodgy arsehole politicians and a somewhat ignorant selfish population. Think that about covers it? 

I volunteered for one on a regular basis for a couple of years, now i just help out on the large collections. 

• Upvote 2

Don't be fooled.  This is a SMOKESCREEN.

The leftist media are at it again - the real issue is not lazy people spending my tax money on betting and vodka, it's how the communists want me to pay tax when I sell my London mansion.

Let's not take our eye off the ball here, people! 

there was a bit in the Echo before Christmas about who is using them in Liverpool and why. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/real-lives/merseyside-foodbanks-expect-huge-surge-8188296

the fact that Jobcentres are referring people to food banks is like something from a victorian penny dreadful.  

In Walmarts in the States they have collection bins for non-perishable items to be donated to staff in need.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/11/20/3595067/walmart-food-drive-oklahoma/

Well all banks are evil and they lead to the downfall of the economy. I can't imagine just by sticking 'food' at the front of it many people are going to be falling for the charade. 

Soon they'll start closing local branches. You'll have a little plastic card you stick in the wall and your food will be dispensed by a machine. That in itself isn't a big problem, but when you need to inform them of a change of address or something, well, good fucking luck!

I posted a link on the Cameron thread, there are loads of hospitals which now have foodbanks for staff. Let me repeat that, foodbanks for hospital staff! Fucking mental. I've just had a quick Google and the Walton Centre now has a foodbank for staff.

We're what, the 6th or 7th richest country in the world? It's an absolute travesty!

In Walmarts in the States they have collection bins for non-perishable items to be donated to staff in need.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/11/20/3595067/walmart-food-drive-oklahoma/

Don't know where to start with that.

We have the lowest prices because we pay shit wages and then the government issues food stamps and assistance to make ul the difference which of course will. be spent at ghe Walmart as the prices are lowest there and rinse, cycle and repeat.

I posted a link on the Cameron thread, there are loads of hospitals which now have foodbanks for staff. Let me repeat that, foodbanks for hospital staff! Fucking mental. I've just had a quick Google and the Walton Centre now has a foodbank for staff.

We're what, the 6th or 7th richest country in the world? It's an absolute travesty!

Could you throw those links in my direction, please?

I've helped out at Christmas time a few years back. Broke my heart. No need for them in this day and age.

And it's not just the fault of the political class or the bankers, it's everyone's fault. We are all complicit in allowing this to happen. Too caught up in our materialistic ways to make a real change. I'm alright Jack, keep your hands off my stack.

Need to vote those cunts out of power. In every country. Then and only then will things start to even out somewhat and be that bit fairer. Not naive to think it will be utopia and all issues will be solved, but as long as those cunts in power are free to make rules to suit themselves and their pals then we are fucked. And food banks and charity shops will continue to open up everywhere.

Or something.

• Upvote 1

NV's river island adventure takes me back to Swallows And Amazons. After seeing the film and reading the book I had daydreams of running away and setting up camp on a river island in the Lake District.

Anyway, good luck with the project Buoy. I hope it works out well. Maybe you could volunteer or shadow at a food bank for a few days to get a feel for how it operates.

I've helped out at Christmas time a few years back. Broke my heart. No need for them in this day and age.

And it's not just the fault of the political class or the bankers, it's everyone's fault. We are all complicit in allowing this to happen. Too caught up in our materialistic ways to make a real change. I'm alright Jack, keep your hands off my stack.

Need to vote those cunts out of power. In every country. Then and only then will things start to even out somewhat and be that bit fairer. Not naive to think it will be utopia and all issues will be solved, but as long as those cunts in power are free to make rules to suit themselves and their pals then we are fucked. And food banks and charity shops will continue to open up everywhere.

Or something.

Crisis at Christmas?

What're your thoughts on them?

I'm currently in the midst of setting up a project relating to all three and wondered what everyones consensus is, how much they really know about them and also if anyone has ever used one?

Check the other services around your area. If there's already some then see what homeless people really need. It's not always just food. Good luck with your project.