You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

He is probably more restricted at Dortmund than Rodgers is here. In terms of transfer fees/wages . He suits FSG to the ground,

He also has  the name to attract players having won something.

Klopp may or not be the answer, but his credentials and achievements far exceed those of Brendan (sadly this is not a big claim).

Made me a bit mad when you have no outright striker on the pitch, but one on the bench.

Yeah Mario may not be hitting the net, but you could see in the second half him on the pitch caused concern for the mancs defence.

Surely you would start at least one recognised striker rather than none

Yep, things have gone well when Mario has been the lone striker. 

Klopp's is more of a safety-coloured cap. Pulis is more street-corner dealer. I bet Pulis tucks his tracky bottoms into his socks as well.

Nah Pulis is more the standing outside Ladbrokes puffing on a Benson and Hedges before he goes back in to put the rest of his giro on an exotically named horse at the 3:15pm at Doncaster. Piss stained trackers as well and a deep fried delicacy for tea off of Iceland.

• Upvote 3

Obviously, I am involved heavily in the identification of the player.

The principal idea when I first came in was that like any manager you will have the first call on a player and the last call. 

That's the call on whether he's good enough to continue to look at and try to organise a deal and the last call to say yes or no.

There is a big part that goes on in between. In modern football you need to trust other people to do the work. That's something we do here and that's why we have had the success we've had.

Brendan Rodgers

• Upvote 1

The principal idea when I first came in was that like any manager you will have the first call on a player and the last call. 

That's the call on whether he's good enough to continue to look at and try to organise a deal and the last call to say yes or no.

There is a big part that goes on in between. In modern football you need to trust other people to do the work. That's something we do here and that's why we have had the success we've had.

Brendan Rodgers

Yeah, but if you run the tape backwards in slow motion you can see him blinking his eyes in Morse code saying: "They have a gun pointed at me."

So, you know, it probably isn't true what he's saying.

Nah Pulis is more the standing outside Ladbrokes puffing on a Benson and Hedges before he goes back in to put the rest of his giro on an exotically named horse at the 3:15pm at Doncaster. Piss stained trackers as well and a deep fried delicacy for tea off of Iceland.

Haha, yes, he gives off the impression that the bargain bin in JJB Sports is one of his favourite things.

• Upvote 1

I have been known to wear a flat cap myself. If it was good enough for Bob Paisley, it's good enough for me.

Stylish Tone, very stylish.  Very under-rated headgear the flat cap, smart without being pretentious.  I tend to roll with a beanie myself for it's ear-warming practicality but I can definitely see myself taking the plunge with a flat cap at some point, maybe for the cool mornings as spring is kicking in.

Brendan Rodgers

"I wanted clarity that I would be in charge of football matters - and I didn't agree until after talking three times about it."

"If it was anything other than that then I couldn't have said yes. I wanted to make sure that control the team, control the work and then what we have underpinning that is a team all with one vision and one mentality.

"If you are the manager of the club and someone else tells you to have that player, it doesn't work.

"I've had total clarity with that from the owners so I've got confidence that that will remain. It was for this reason that I didn't want to be sat up there, say what I've said and then in three weeks time Louis Van Gaal walks in the door - it does not work.

"You need to know yourself. And I know myself. I know what makes me work well and that wouldn't have been a model I would have succeeded in."

"The one thing I have recognised by talking to these people here is a real honesty. They had advice and wanted a certain model, but I don't think it was something they were set on," he added.

"They are still learning the game, and I explained that one of the things I have provided leadership all the way through myself. I am better when I have control.

"I am not a power freak. But my point is that I need to feel that I can manage it in terms of the team and I have a direct clear line through to the owners. Once that becomes hazed and grey, for me there is a problem.

"So yes, the new players that come in will be my signings, It's very simple - you've got a manager and in and around that you've got different departments.

"When you are at a club of this status and of this size there's no one person in charge of everything. But it's absolute madness if you are the manager of the club and someone else tells you to have that player, it doesn't work."

Brendan Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what the point is you're trying to make Dicko.  Are people seriously suggesting that Rodgers has had players forced on him like Pearce says?  I don't believe it.  Just like I didn't believe any of our other managers who came out with the same bullshit.  

I don't believe it either but unlike he who shall not be named he won't recognise when a signing isn't working and get rid.

In fairness he's signed 25 players and he'd have to offload 23 if some of this seasons signings don't come good.

I don't believe it either but unlike he who shall not be named he won't recognise when a signing isn't working and get rid.

In fairness he's signed 25 players and he'd have to offload 23 if some of these signings don't come good.

To be fair he hasn't had the opportunity to ship most of them out.  Not saying he will either.  Some of them will be unflushable I fear.  

I still think Rodgers did enough last season to earn a bit of time, but I agree that our signings since he arrived have been startlingly bad.

Some form of question over every single one except Sturridge and Coutinho.

If he's thick enough to make statements with team selections rather than try to win games, our form won't improve and he'll be gone anyway.

I still think Rodgers did enough last season to earn a bit of time, but I agree that our signings since he arrived have been startlingly bad.

Some form of question over every single one except Sturridge and Coutinho.

You could question Sturridge's fitness and Coutinho's consistency if you really wanted to rub it in...