You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is there anywhere in Liverpool to get a really, really good kebab? I had a lamb shawarma naan from Babylon in Oxford Road, Manchester last week and it was magnificent - and it made me realise that I've never had a takeaway kebab that's anything above mediocre in Liverpool.

You’re spot on. Most are shite. Frankyz by Alder Hey is ok. They’ve opened one of them German kebab places in town and they’re meant to be lovely. 

10 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is there anywhere in Liverpool to get a really, really good kebab? I had a lamb shawarma naan from Babylon in Oxford Road, Manchester last week and it was magnificent - and it made me realise that I've never had a takeaway kebab that's anything above mediocre in Liverpool.

I had the chicken shawarma from there Easter weekend when I was at MPF and it was bloody lovely. 

I’m off to the match Sunday and bringing my new missus across with me for company and we’re making a day of it having a look round town.

She’s not been to Liverpool before so going to head to the cathedral and the docks and that Indy bookshop on bold street I saw with the dirty thriving bastards, but what should I recommend she go and do for a couple of hours from 4-6 on a Sunday while I’m at the match?

Also what’s the best place to eat veggie food in Liverpool? Saw the Indian plan a couple of ages back, but would be good to have a few options. Thinking a big lunch rather than evening meal given the footie timings.

54 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m off to the match Sunday and bringing my new missus across with me for company and we’re making a day of it having a look round town.

She’s not been to Liverpool before so going to head to the cathedral and the docks and that Indy bookshop on bold street I saw with the dirty thriving bastards, but what should I recommend she go and do for a couple of hours from 4-6 on a Sunday while I’m at the match?

Also what’s the best place to eat veggie food in Liverpool? Saw the Indian plan a couple of ages back, but would be good to have a few options. Thinking a big lunch rather than evening meal given the footie timings.

les-miserables-russell-crowe.gif

• Upvote 2

No seriously Bob she can come round ours. My Dad's coming round for the old firm so we will be well and truly tanked up by the time the Reds kick off. Does she like Irish music? 

As for Veggie food, mate there is a place called Down The Hatch on Duke St. It's fucking lovely. Big portions, the burgers and chips are unreal. They also do a veggie roast dinner. 

Maray on Bold St is nice but the plates aren't huge. The Greek Taverna down there is good as well. 

DOWN THE HATCH (downthehatchliv.co.uk)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

No seriously Bob she can come round ours. My Dad's coming round for the old firm so we will be well and truly tanked up by the time the Reds kick off. Does she like Irish music? 

As for Veggie food, mate there is a place called Down The Hatch on Duke St. It's fucking lovely. Big portions, the burgers and chips are unreal. They also do a veggie roast dinner. 

Maray on Bold St is nice but the plates aren't huge. The Greek Taverna down there is good as well. 

DOWN THE HATCH (downthehatchliv.co.uk)

I’ll give her that as an option mate. She might be up for it. Who knows?!

11 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Don’t know if you do Instagram

or TikTok but there’s a lad on there does an account called Scouse Ghetto Gourmet, and he’s just recommended a place on Lodge Lane for shawarma called Al Agha. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrYsgChIbW4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

There’s a place on Bold Street called Bundobust, it’s Indian street food and all veggie. Good selection of beers, too.  

For after match drinks check out Little Hardware. Not been open long, bit of a speakeasy vibe. 

https://littlehardware.co.uk/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Cose Buone Italian Food on cheap side. Had a mozzarella and pesto rice ball yesterday whilst drinking in the Angus and it was really delicious. @Chip Butty can confirm as he ate about 1/3 of it using his fingers 

Steady on old bean, an eighth at best. 

And I can confirm that said pesto rice rice ball was indeed delicious. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

https://www.liverpoolworld.uk/your-merseyside/liverpool/in-pictures-10-of-the-oldest-pubs-in-liverpool-still-standing-today-in-chronological-order-4142856?page=2

The ten oldest pubs still going in Liverpool.

I think I've only been in two of them. 

Ma Eggertons and the  Carnarvon castle.

I think I've got a full house.  Some very good boozers there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2023 at 22:21, Megadrive Man said:

https://www.liverpoolworld.uk/your-merseyside/liverpool/in-pictures-10-of-the-oldest-pubs-in-liverpool-still-standing-today-in-chronological-order-4142856?page=2

The webpage is unreadable. I'll take my chances in some newer gaffs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 19/05/2023 at 22:21, Megadrive Man said:

Ditto. I think,as the link doesnt seem to work for me.

Edit. Link did work and yes,only those two Alehouses.