You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

Violence in the name of religion is no less valid than acts of charity and goodwill. You hear it a lot when someone says they are killing for god - people telling them how misguided they are - but we really are in no position to say that. It's as valid as god telling you to tend to the poor.

It's just different pages of the daft ancient books.

Whisper it, but it's almost as if the good and bad aren't derived from the religion but are innately human and are then employed in the search for bits of the book that justify someone's actions.

Not according to Reza Aslan, it's the person that's bad and not the book. He's the darling of the regressive left.

Not according to Reza Aslan, it's the person that's bad and not the book. He's the darling of the regressive left.

I actually agree with that. 

If the person was good they'd dig out the best bits and stick to them, like our man in the States does. If they were a cunt, they'd pick out the rapey, genocidal bits to focus on. 

I think there's a debate to be had about how much the bad bits have become ingrained as the norm though, especially across the muslim world, and how much that guides good people to accept abhorrent things as being the norm.

Can anyone explain to me why muslim people that have migrated to England feel the need to carry on being muslim?

Why do muslim women wear the burqa or hibab in modern day England?

Why do muslims hate gay people? 

If there was no muslim heirarchy do you think that muslim people would be just like the rest of civilization?

Hmmm...?

Muslim people really need to let go of their religion. They should join the civilized world. Stop stoning women, stop hanging gay people and stop selling under age children to their uncles.

These views may be unpopular with a few users of this forum, but at least they don't have to live over there.

Over there.  In Muslimistan.  Where all women get stoned and all children get sold to their uncles.

That is exactly what happens with every single one of the world's 1.1 billion Muslims.

He's a cunt, he was the one on American TV defending Islamism, it went viral on FB. Mate of Afleck

Just googled him and I came I across this quote about Bill Maher.  I think he's accusing Maher of making a mistake that you often make.

"Bill Maher is right to condemn religious practices that violate fundamental human rights. Religious communities must do more to counter extremist interpretations of their faith. But failing to recognize that religion is embedded in culture—and making a blanket judgment about the world’s second largest religion—is simply bigotry."

• Upvote 1

Just googled him and I came I across this quote about Bill Maher.  I think he's accusing Maher of making a mistake that you often make.

"Bill Maher is right to condemn religious practices that violate fundamental human rights. Religious communities must do more to counter extremist interpretations of their faith. But failing to recognize that religion is embedded in culture—and making a blanket judgment about the world’s second largest religion—is simply bigotry."

So am I bigoted about Christianity too?

I listened to the podcast in question. Maher just pointed out the facts that the majority of huge amounts of muslims in countries all over the world support barbaric shit.

Obviously it got the standard response of people then avoiding the fact that millions of people are being judged on their actual, held, beliefs and tried to present it as stereotyping or bigotry. Which it isn't.

• Upvote 1

I listened to the podcast in question. Maher just pointed out the facts that the majority of huge amounts of muslims in countries all over the world support barbaric shit.

Obviously it got the standard response of people then avoiding the fact that millions of people are being judged on their actual, held, beliefs and tried to present it as stereotyping or bigotry. Which it isn't.

Bigot claiming it's not bigotry shocker.

• Downvote 1

Don't bother debating New Atheists. They're not interested in truth because it can help people to be more compassionate, it's all about being able to sneer at another set of people.

Atheists not interested in truth? You've gone full mental now.

Not that you can see this.

Quite surprised at you Stu,making generalisations about 1.1 billion people,you always seem better than that.

I suppose somebody,even an atheist in the Middle East,could say you and me support bombing children and hospitals because we keep electing leaders who continue to do this with our perceived backing.

I am an atheist too but I cant really condemn all Muslims as I cannot condemn all Christians either.

• Downvote 1

Quite surprised at you Stu,making generalisations about 1.1 billion people,you always seem better than that.

I suppose somebody,even an atheist in the Middle East,could say you and me support bombing children and hospitals because we keep electing leaders who continue to do this with our perceived backing. A

I am an atheist too but I cant really condemn all Muslims as I cannot condemn all Christians either.

He said millions, not all of them. Not like you to make such a mistake.

When you call people asking questions bigots and racists you are in trouble, real trouble.

It depends what the question is.  If the question is, for example, "Why do all Muslims support FGM, the murder of gay people and the stoning of adulterers?" then you'd have good reason to call the questioner a bigot.

If the question is asked more broadly about why horrible practices continue in the world, then that's not bigoted.