You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

That and the threat of eternal damnation. If you spend 15 years telling a child non-believers are going to be killed or spend eternity being roasted in hell then it has a pretty powerful effect. Particularly in a time when the answer to 'why does x happen?' was 'God did it'

Not all religions carry that threat, though.

Personally, I suspect that religious belief - whether it's worshipping a volcano or Scientology, or whatever - stems from the evolution of the human brain. The restless urge to understand, to explain, to see patterns and to try to make sense of things would have been invaluable to an upright ape trying to spear a gazelle and swerve the lions. Soon enough, attempts at explaining things coalesce into legends, religions and myths, which are useful for bonding early societies.

Unfortunately, that urge to understand has long outlived its evolutionary usefulness, like a vestigial tail, and tends to express itself in horoscopes and the burning of Catholics.

Of course, I could be talking shite.

Oh look, Stu's on his high horse again... I assume I'm the oddball apologist? Cheers!

Unfortunately for you (and I given that I don't believe it has a place in schools either) religion is never going to be taken out of the system given because we are in a minority in that belief.

As a result of that, and of pesky freewill and the darned Human Rights Act that let's people believe what they want, it is always going to play a part given that there are always going to be people with one belief or another in the system.

Do you not think it right that a child should be given the best chance possible to achieve educationally, as long as it doesn't impact negatively on another?

Or does the fact they believe something you don't mean they should be disadvantaged?

Sorry, so how many of the kids get to change the schedule?

If one scientologist wants his exams in January then do we do that? No? How about four of them? Or a whole class of them?

You pretend to care about respecting people's beliefs. You don't. Just established ones with time and numbers behind them.

The second post is just odd. I have an opinion, this is a forum for them. I'm pointing out that the children aren't religious. Many will be trying to free themselves from the ridiculous dogma of it and the school should be aiding them, not colluding to keep them ignorant.

Christians rule the western world? That must be why no one gives a fuck about the church and religion now after battling against it for centuries.

America decides what happens in most parts of the world and the last time I checked most the people involved in power are tub-thumping Christians. So yes, Christianity rulez!

Christians rule the western world? That must be why no one gives a fuck about the church and religion now after battling against it for centuries.

You obviously missed Bush and Blair quoting some kind of mythical being named 'God' before blowing half of the Middle East to pieces and blowing pretty much everybody and everything to smithereens that just happened to be there.

It also seems that any US Presidential Candidate has to pretend to attend Church to be elected too. So yes,its a bad thing.

Is it a possibility that both Islam and Christianity are a load of shit or do you have to take a side?

I've said exactly the same thing over and over again, but I think the idea of the thread is to say that lots of people who follow Islam are as disinterested in violence in their name as Christians who feel exactly the same when their religion is quoted as a reason for violence.

Violence in the name of any mythical being is a load of shite and fortunately most people in everyday life believe this. Unfortunately people with a certain influence over others do not,or at least pretend that they do not.

Believe it or not their are nutters who spread violence over which sports team they follow.

Is it a possibility that both Islam and Christianity are a load of shit or do you have to take a side?

No, bashing Christianity is ok, bashing Islam makes you racist.

I like to bash them all, especially Scientology, oh and Mormanism. Went to a wedding with a load of Mormans the other week, weird lot. My wife had to steer me away from them as I wanted to ask about the special underwear. Their great prophet was a paedophile too.

• Upvote 1

It always seems a slightly pointless comparison between Christianity and Islam considering the huge difference in power between those in the West and those in the Middle East.

It's also in the interest of the rich and powerful in the West to have the Middle East be a hive of the most loony versions of Islam. Less good for the general populations there and here, obviously.

Can anyone explain to me why muslim people that have migrated to England feel the need to carry on being muslim?

Why do muslim women wear the burqa or hibab in modern day England?

Why do muslims hate gay people? 

If there was no muslim heirarchy do you think that muslim people would be just like the rest of civilization?

You are obviously a wum or not very intelligent,but I'd say you are the first as I don't like to think anybody is so stupid as to take opinions from newspapers.

• Upvote 1

I've said exactly the same thing over and over again, but I think the idea of the thread is to say that lots of people who follow Islam are as disinterested in violence in their name as Christians who feel exactly the same when their religion is quoted as a reason for violence.

Violence in the name of any mythical being is a load of shite and fortunately most people in everyday life believe this. Unfortunately people with a certain influence over others do not,or at least pretend that they do not.

Believe it or not their are nutters who spread violence over which sports team they follow.

Violence in the name of religion is no less valid than acts of charity and goodwill. You hear it a lot when someone says they are killing for god - people telling them how misguided they are - but we really are in no position to say that. It's as valid as god telling you to tend to the poor.

It's just different pages of the daft ancient books.

Whisper it, but it's almost as if the good and bad aren't derived from the religion but are innately human and are then employed in the search for bits of the book that justify someone's actions.

This just reminds me of what I was talking about with my brother about half an hour ago : I think we need more multicultural areas. Blacks, asians, arabs, etc. I have the view that the more we live with eachother, the more we'll realize that we're part of the same thing : a group of humans just trying to deal with this madhouse reality. So yeah, happy to see asians, blacks, arabs, around my area in increasing frequency, because everything else is bullshit, despite the propaganda fucking fearful shithouse mob. We should live together and learn to live together, everything else is bullshit.

We're humans, some of us are different, let's bridge those gaps and thrive off them. Instead of reacting to the manufactured lies fed to us.

• Upvote 1

This just reminds me of what I was talking about with my brother about half an hour ago : I think we need more multicultural areas. Blacks, asians, arabs, etc. I have the view that the more we live with eachother, the more we'll realize that we're part of the same thing : a group of humans just trying to deal with this madhouse reality. So yeah, happy to see asians, blacks, arabs, around my area in increasing frequency, because everything else is bullshit, despite the propaganda fucking fearful shithouse mob. We should live together and learn to live together, everything else is bullshit.

We're humans, some of us are different, let's bridge those gaps and thrive off them. Instead of reacting to the manufactured lies fed to us.

Imagine the scenes. Stronts and Rico will go full on NIMBY, waving placards because they think their house values will be decimated.