You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

If a dozen kids in a year got together and demanded May the 4th off because they are Jedi everyone would tell them to stop taking the piss.

Obviously this is the point where I get told to respect people's beliefs (by people totally unwilling to respect people's beliefs unless they have numbers behind them and years of indoctrination). I'm mocking "proper" religion by comparing it to a belief system they refuse to recognise.

Get your fucking religion out of my education system. And any oddball apologist that wants to make some barely coherent point about xmas: yeah, move it to wherever the best break is for everyone, I don't care.

When the Scientologists demand to have their exams on the 16th of Dec (because that's Zoltar's day of examination) what are you going to do? Change the whole syllabus timetable?

Stop pretending to care about people's beliefs. You don't. Not unless they have an old book and a big club.

• Upvote 2

If a dozen kids in a year got together and demanded May the 4th off because they are Jedi everyone would tell them to stop taking the piss.

Obviously this is the point where I get told to respect people's beliefs (by people totally unwilling to respect people's beliefs unless they have numbers behind them and years of indoctrination). I'm mocking "proper" religion by comparing it to a belief system they refuse to recognise.

Get your fucking religion out of my education system. And any oddball apologist that wants to make some barely coherent point about xmas: yeah, move it to wherever the best break is for everyone, I don't care.

When the Scientologists demand to have their exams on the 16th of Dec (because that's Zoltar's day of examination) what are you going to do? Change the whole syllabus timetable?

Stop pretending to care about people's beliefs. You don't. Not unless they have an old book and a big club.

Hang on, can't we do it on moon cycles or when Juniper lines up with Uranus like any sensible people would?  

I, for one, welcome our astrologer overlords.

When the Scientologists demand to have their exams on the 16th of Dec (because that's Zoltar's day of examination) what are you going to do? Change the whole syllabus timetable?

Oh look, Stu's on his high horse again... I assume I'm the oddball apologist? Cheers!

Unfortunately for you (and I given that I don't believe it has a place in schools either) religion is never going to be taken out of the system given because we are in a minority in that belief.

As a result of that, and of pesky freewill and the darned Human Rights Act that let's people believe what they want, it is always going to play a part given that there are always going to be people with one belief or another in the system.

Do you not think it right that a child should be given the best chance possible to achieve educationally, as long as it doesn't impact negatively on another?

Or does the fact they believe something you don't mean they should be disadvantaged?

• Downvote 1

Also, a lot of these children aren't Muslim, or christian, or scientologists.

They just have parents that are. And that want to force that onto their children. The school system should not be complicit in the indoctrination.

You don't have kids, do you?

In what manner do you expect parents to bring up their child? The way they were brought up/the way they want to bring their child up?

Or should they all adhere to 'Stu Monty's Great Big Rulebook On How To Bring Up Kids'?

Most of the time you're a really enjoyable poster. At others, your arrogance is breathtaking.

• Downvote 1

Hang on, can't we do it on moon cycles or when Juniper lines up with Uranus like any sensible people would?

I, for one, welcome our astrologer overlords.

Hold on! Junipers line up with Uranus? I'm going to sit by my flowerbed later and check this phenomena out, because that's what it is. A phenomena!

• Upvote 1

When the Scientologists demand to have their exams on the 16th of Dec (because that's Zoltar's day of examination) what are you going to do? Change the whole syllabus timetable?

Just out of interest what proof do you have, empirical, that religion is bad for education or is a bad influence on the system and children?

Religion is a huge problem, yes. However, these kids have no choice but to follow their parents religion. They shouldn't be disadvantaged because of their parents nonsense. Let's fix adult society before going after kids.

Not everyone rebelled against their religious parents like you and I.

• Upvote 1

You can't just dismiss religion as belief in a fairy story or a comic book character, it's a cultural pillar upon which entire civilisations have been built for millennia. I'm sure the Japanese act in certain ways that are governed by their cultural beliefs, as do Samoans. Would people be as happy to tell Native Americans to grow the f*ck up and stop smoking mushrooms because it's a load of bollocks? Or should it be a case of live and let live? 

• Upvote 2

You can't just dismiss religion as belief in a fairy story or a comic book character, it's a cultural pillar upon which entire civilisations have been built for millennia. I'm sure the Japanese act in certain ways that are governed by their cultural beliefs, as do Samoans. Would people be as happy to tell Native Americans to grow the f*ck up and stop smoking mushrooms because it's a load of bollocks? Or should it be a case of live and let live?

It's a cultural pillar that's been around for millennia because it was common practice to kill people who questioned it or tried to leave. Still is for some people.

All religions accept evolution as true don't they? Don't they?

Both Sikhism and Islam accept evolution and that the earth is millions of years old along with the universe. It's only Christians and the bible bashers of America that think the Earth was created 6000 years ago. But that wasn't my question to Monty, he has said religion has no place in education and intimates its a bad thing. So being an atheist, which I'm assuming he is, give everyone here the empirical evidence that religion is bad for education. Either that or he's just an oddball at the other end of the scale.

It's bad when you get separate schools & kids from opposite sides of the street are split up from each other so they can go & be brainwashed about different sky fairies.

but whether its Sunni vs Shia, Catholic vs Protestant, Liverpool vs Everton, X Factor vs The Voice, Blue Peter vs Magpie or Swap Shop vs Tiswas, they're man made constructs, and in the case of religions, designed and constantly finessed to control and manipulate people to achieve malevolent political or financial ends.  

• Upvote 2

It's a cultural pillar that's been around for millennia because it was common practice to kill people who questioned it or tried to leave. Still is for some people.

Do you seriously believe that the threat of violence is the only - or even the main - reason for the persistence of religious beliefs around the world?

No wonder you've got such a low opinion of religions (and of people ).

Do you seriously believe that the threat of violence is the only - or even the main - reason for the persistence of religious beliefs around the world?

No wonder you've got such a low opinion of religions (and of people ).

That and the threat of eternal damnation. If you spend 15 years telling a child non-believers are going to be killed or spend eternity being roasted in hell then it has a pretty powerful effect. Particularly in a time when the answer to 'why does x happen?' was 'God did it'