You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

Millions?

Oh yeah,its dead easy to speak on behalf of them and know exactly what they think.

Did you miss the link to the report a few posts above yours that demonstrated exactly what they think?

You seem to believe that when folk talk about beliefs and opinions of the religious, that we're making shit up.

No, it's religion's job to make shit up. The rest of us are just trying to deal with the side-effects of these ludicrous and dangerous fairy tales.

• Upvote 1

It depends what the question is. If the question is, for example, "Why do all Muslims support FGM, the murder of gay people and the stoning of adulterers?" then you'd have good reason to call the questioner a bigot.

If the question is asked more broadly about why horrible practices continue in the world, then that's not bigoted.

Did you read the link I posted?

Don't bother debating New Atheists. They're not interested in truth because it can help people to be more compassionate, it's all about being able to sneer at another set of people.

New Atheists? Oh yeah that's right. The old ones killed millions so they rebranded sometime after the second world war.

i wonder if she wanted to wear that veil.

There was a good interview on The Daily Show with Dalia Mogahed, an American academic, in which she explained her objection to the suggestion that veils and scarves are a sign of oppression.  Her argument is that to oppress someone is to take away their power; hijabs, etc, are used to dress "modestly", in the sense of concealing one's sexuality.  So, are people who call veils and scarves oppressive saying that a woman's source of power is her sexuality?  Wearing a hijab or whatever doesn't stop a woman from thinking, speaking, writing or any sort of action. It just stops her worrying about bad hair days.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ju44t3/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-dalia-mogahed---understanding-american-muslims-and-the-media-s-coverage-of-terrorism

There was a good interview on The Daily Show with Dalia Mogahed, an American academic, in which she explained her objection to the suggestion that veils and scarves are a sign of oppression. Her argument is that to oppress someone is to take away their power; hijabs, etc, are used to dress "modestly", in the sense of concealing one's sexuality. So, are people who call veils and scarves oppressive saying that a woman's source of power is her sexuality? Wearing a hijab or whatever doesn't stop a woman from thinking, speaking, writing or any sort of action. It just stops her worrying about bad hair days.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ju44t3/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-dalia-mogahed---understanding-american-muslims-and-the-media-s-coverage-of-terrorism

An American academic, mmm try Aayan Hirsi Ali or Nice

mangos on Twitter. Get their views.

Quite surprised at you Stu,making generalisations about 1.1 billion people,you always seem better than that.

I suppose somebody,even an atheist in the Middle East,could say you and me support bombing children and hospitals because we keep electing leaders who continue to do this with our perceived backing.

I am an atheist too but I cant really condemn all Muslims as I cannot condemn all Christians either.

How much clearer can I try and make this? It's genuinely fucking tedious the amount of times I have to do this.

People are asked "Do you agree with this terrible thing" in opinion polls and they say "yes" in huge percentages across the world. 

I am not condemning "all muslims" I am condemning the millions and millions of muslims (majorities in some countries) that themselves hold those barbaric ideas. How we have gotten to this bizarre place where people will go out of their way to claim that people that hold beliefs don't actually hold those beliefs and that they are being cruelly stereotyped I have no idea. Progressive humanitarians are just putting their fingers in their ears and pretending that a lot of people hold horrible opinions in some misguided belief that it's helping tolerance. 

Women are getting stoned to death for being gang raped and it's no biggie. Wake up.

• Upvote 2

A nut job who asks for mass invasion of Muslim countries by the West. I'm sure that's a real good idea.[/quote
A nut job who asks for mass invasion of Muslim countries by the West. I'm sure that's a real good idea.

Although having your best friend shot in cold blood then nearly decapitated in the street with a note pinned his chest addressed to her with ',you're next' might put you on a downer.

• Upvote 1

ame="skend04" post="4362414" timestamp="1452434343"]A nut job who asks for mass invasion of Muslim countries by the West. I'm sure that's a real good idea.[/quote

Although having your best friend shot in cold blood then nearly decapitated in the street with a note pinned his chest addressed to her with ',you're next' might put you on a downer.

Okay okay, may be nut job is a tad harsh due to her personal experience. But to ask for the entire Muslim world to be mass invaded because of her personal experience is a bit nutty.

It's shit.

It wasn't just the film though. He was calling Muslims goat shaggers for a start. What happened to him was shocking but he was a bit of a cunt.

https://www.rnw.org/archive/theo-van-gogh-trailblazer-wilders

There's plenty of cunts, calling someone a goat shagger is well, nothing. On here you get people defending those saying (and meaning it and having the power to do it) they'd kill us all. Now that is fucking weird.