You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

A bit disappointed with 1883, after all the hype.  Maybe 7/10 because it's less irritating than The English, but should be 6 as well.

First of all, it's a wagon train story - pioneer trails has been done to death in the past and this one doesn't offer anything new, I mean, it is probably the easiest form to write, there is a journey, you pick your characters and have them confront various problems along the way.

Second, dialogue is again to heavily laden with meaningful sentences, some of the writing choices baffled me and everything is for some reason oh so gloomy. They really should have saved up for the  train tickets.

And the narrator's monologues, this really gets grating after a while and by the end you just want her to shut up already. She is not a very good actress, I though that was again some country star given exposure, but apparently not, she was in some other things too. The all Elsa Does Wild West aspect of sexual awakening I didn't care for.

I think there may be serious problem with overproduction now on Sheridan's part. The new one is already out.

27 minutes ago, SasaS said:

A bit disappointed with 1883, after all the hype.  Maybe 7/10 because it's less irritating than The English, but should be 6 as well.

First of all, it's a wagon train story - pioneer trails has been done to death in the past and this one doesn't offer anything new, I mean, it is probably the easiest form to write, there is a journey, you pick your characters and have them confront various problems along the way.

Second, dialogue is again to heavily laden with meaningful sentences, some of the writing choices baffled me and everything is for some reason oh so gloomy. They really should have saved up for the  train tickets.

And the narrator's monologues, this really gets grating after a while and by the end you just want her to shut up already. She is not a very good actress, I though that was again some country star given exposure, but apparently not, she was in some other things too. The all Elsa Does Wild West aspect of sexual awakening I didn't care for.

I think there may be serious problem with overproduction now on Sheridan's part. The new one is already out.

I agree on this, I liked the series overall as I do enjoy anything based on western theme but i found the narration and the Elsa character to be a bit meh.

Hopefully 1923 is better.

50 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I agree on this, I liked the series overall as I do enjoy anything based on western theme but i found the narration and the Elsa character to be a bit meh.

Hopefully 1923 is better.

Yeah, I'd watch anything with big hats and horses, there is a lot to enjoy, it just falls short of being great, for me.

Oh, and the characters of European settlers, what was that, they spoke German, Serbian, Russian or Ukrainian, I think I heard Romanian too (and Gypsy lady was a total cliche), where were they from, if the leader-translator was Prussian (he was in a 1870 war with France).

Don't think a lot of research and attention went into immigrants and their costumes. Generic "Europeans"? -

I liked Elsa, mainly because she wasn't a massive spoilt brat who's written to be cool as fuck but comes across as a massive child like Beth Dutton. God, I hate Beth Dutton, she almost ruins Yellowstone entirely then Big Kev Costner comes along growling or Tommy Rainwater being all cool and I'm back in.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I liked Elsa, mainly because she wasn't a massive spoilt brat who's written to be cool as fuck but comes across as a massive child like Beth Dutton. God, I hate Beth Dutton, she almost ruins Yellowstone entirely then Big Kev Costner comes along growling or Tommy Rainwater being all cool and I'm back in.

I thought I was the only one who hated her character too. I actually feel for the Jamie character because he's so gullible and I want to tell him to stop getting dragged into stuff he cant win. I also want him to twat Beth and bury her somewhere.

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill were pretty good, Sam Eliott is always great, here, he didn't have to do a lot of acting though, it feels he just slipped into the role. 

Elsa comes across as a bit contrived, she is an excellent rider and a natural when it comes to cowboy stuff, plays the piano, can handle a gun, she is smart and beautiful, ideologically sound Southerner without any social or racial prejudices, a proper fountain of wisdom and poetry.

EDIT and the accent does not sound quite right, I may be wrong here though. But it grates in the monologues.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Are this Yellowstone show and it's spin off's worth watching?

Is it better, than say Deadwood? I actually found that quite hard going.

My wife is from Montana, so it would be something we'd definitely be interested in.

Yellowstone is good,but I dont watch the others as I am ok with cowboy stuff in small doses only.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

My wife is from Montana, so it would be something we'd definitely be interested in.

1883 is nowhere near as good as Deadwood, but I'd say it may be an easier, more mainstream watch.

Yellowstone is so-so for me, someone said a soap for men, which may not be far wrong, like Dallas or Dynasty with more murders and action. Didn't go beyond S3 though. It was getting bad reviews initially, which was interesting, I think a lot of it was ideological, it was seen as some kind of Republican real America show, which it isn't.

There is a lot of Montana in it apparently. So turn yourself loose and set the wife free
somewhere in the middle of it. And forget about retirement and so called Social Security.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Yes, 100% and I'd actually start with 1883.

Nothing at all like Deadwood, which was funny as fuck.

• Upvote 1

Pistol 7/10.

Wasn't so bad after all, dreaded it a bit because of the casting (how did they get young Malcolm McDowell to play Malcolm McLaren, was it CGI?), Rotten and Vicious are always difficult to cast and you just know they will made the wrong choice (and of course they delivered), but overall, it was engaging and well paced, I think Boyle did a good job.

A bit Bohemian Rhapsody, but with punks and a little bit better, more intelligent and cleverly written, acted and directed, as you'd expect from a story about a significantly more important phenomenon.

It is also how Steve Jones saw it all in his memoir, but it mostly avoids overly revisionist trap. Or crap. Wasn't aware myself of the depth of his connection with the Pretenders lady.   

Bad Sisters- 9/10. Excellent jet-black comedy. This was superb, funny, moving, ridiculous and very clever, I loved it. Maybe an episode or two too long for the story, but every minute was a pleasure so it didn't matter. The resolution in particular put goosebumps down me without any heavy-handed moralising, it was just pitched perfectly.

It's apparently based on a Belgian series which I'm going to try and find, but Sharon Horgan absolutely makes this her own. There's supposed to be a second series, but fuck knows how that'll work as this was a perfect, self-contained one. Regardless, I'll be watching the fuck out of anything else in the same setting. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, manwiththestick said:

Jack Ryan season 3. 8/10. Great stuff.

This explains a lot. I thought there were three seasons of Reacher. But Jack Ryan is the advert I saw.