You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

There was one point last night he made a run to a breaking ball and I just thought "Fucking hell, even 2/3 years ago he would have got that"

But in saying that, I didn't think it was a poor performance last night. He got a few long range passes badly wrong but I thought he did a good job by enlarge in the role he was playing. 

To be honest he will start on Saturday as I don't think Roger's can be arsed with the shit storm that would come his way from ex-pro's if he left him out....Having said that it's not bad is it playing a guy who is ok past his best but has been a constant thorn in their side since this moment against them in 1999....(from 4 minutes in...oh and what the fuck is David James doing??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5a8WulytAU

• 2 months later...

Ronaldo is the best player in the world, and has been for some time. 

In the amnesty thread? Hardly controversial.

But I was thinking that he and Messi will go down as two of the all time greats. Top 10 stuff or better. And they have played at the same time. Pretty amazing.

In the amnesty thread? Hardly controversial.

But I was thinking that he and Messi will go down as two of the all time greats. Top 10 stuff or better. And they have played at the same time. Pretty amazing.

Seems an unpopular opinion generally because he's such a cunt and everyone except me and the Condor Legion seem to love Barcelona.

Even in Messi's pomp though, he needed other players to tick, Ronaldo doesn't, he's a one man whirlwind like Maradona was. 

Messi in the Stoke team would be half the player he is now, Ronaldo in the Stoke team would be Ronaldo with an entourage. 

Seems an unpopular opinion generally because he's such a cunt and everyone except me and the Condor Legion seem to love Barcelona.

Even in Messi's pomp though, he needed other players to tick, Ronaldo doesn't, he's a one man whirlwind like Maradona was. 

Messi in the Stoke team would be half the player he is now, Ronaldo in the Stoke team would be Ronaldo with an entourage. 

I'm definitely in the Barca camp (not that I give much of a fuck about La Liga) but I agree about Ronaldo being a one man whirlwind. Incredible athleticism and skill allied with incredible determination. An absolute beast of a player. Difficult to imagine he'd get this good looking at his early days at Utd. 

I honestly don't know about your Messi comparisons there but I can definitely appreciate them both and leave the sorting out to folk who watch them a lot more than I do. Which is probably everyone.

Amnesty doesn't give you the license to talk complete bollox!

• Upvote 3

That argument falls flat on its face when you consider that Ronaldo hasn't got anywhere near a major final with Portugal.  Messi has with Argentina.  I wouldn't say there is much difference between the respective squads.  Argentina's might be slightly stronger, but they are nothing special either.

Given how little work and tracking back Ronaldo does, I'm not sure how you can say he doesn't need other players to tick.

I think that Sterling is massively overrated. He will never be in the class of Bale or Giggs etc

Are you Welsh? Why compare him to those 2? I for one think he'll be good as both. If anyone is overrated it's Giggs. In 20 years Giggs had never once been the best player at his club, let alone the league or Europe. Yet he's feted as an all-time great. Absurd.